Old 02-20-2006, 07:37 PM   #11
Pixywhispers
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to Pixywhispers
I looked and couldnt find it, but a while back I read that in France when they still beheaded people that women were knitting in the square, and others said that they (the knitters) were so cold, and it showed how cruel that country was. But actually after more research (and sense maybe) those women were putting off the stress of the whole thing? Anyone else read about that? It was a really interesting article. I'll go look some more.

I think the article also mentioned emergency knitting, which is absolutely a part of my life.

edited to say Here it is
http://www.sciencenetlinks.com/sci_update.cfm?DocID=209

There is a time to be born and a time to die. A time to laugh and a time to cry, but there never seems to be enough time to knit.-Anon. (or to visit KH!)

Come visit my blog.
Pixywhispers is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-20-2006, 07:38 PM   #12
Pixywhispers
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to Pixywhispers
Originally Posted by Pixywhispers
I looked and couldnt find it, but a while back I read that in France when they still beheaded people that women were knitting in the square, and others said that they (the knitters) were so cold, and it showed how cruel that country was. But actually after more research (and sense maybe) it was revealed that those women were putting off the stress of the whole thing. Anyone else read about that? It was a really interesting article. I'll go look some more.

I think the article also mentioned emergency knitting, which is absolutely a part of my life.

There is a time to be born and a time to die. A time to laugh and a time to cry, but there never seems to be enough time to knit.-Anon. (or to visit KH!)

Come visit my blog.
Pixywhispers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 05:22 PM   #13
knitncook
Working the Gusset

HH, I have a knitting at the auto repair place story too. I had to take my van in for a recall (Your airbag may fail to deploy should you be in an accident) and had an appointment (not like that meant anything). I was stuck in the waiting room for almost 2 hours ("We'll have you in and out in a jiffy ma'am") with the television stuck on "Let's Make A Deal" (I didn't even know Bob Barker was still alive!) I pulled out my knitting and the young lady sitting next to me instantly lit up and started asking me all kinds of questions. "Is it hard?" "What are you making?" "What is felting?" "Where do you get your supplies?" etc. It was great sharing that with someone. Her car finished quickly and an older gentleman came in and he too started asking questions. He watched me for the longest time and then said, "You are just so smart to bring something to do with you that will make something in the end." (I thought that was pretty funny!) I told him I knit everywhere and that it is a great portable project. Finally my car was finished and the guy came to get me. The older gentleman said, "Let her get to the end of a row." I giggled and asked if he was sure he didn't knit and he said, "No, but that's what my mother always said!"

knitncook there, too!

OTN: Laughing Carrots; Jaywaler
FO: Potamus socks; Palindrome
knitncook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 05:53 PM   #14
feministmama
Instepping Out

WHat great stories! Hedgehog I got all misty eyed I...*sniff*....I love you guys.....
-That's OK, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway....
-I'm not afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens.
Reading: Barbara Kingsolver
Knitting: socks

I'm Femmy on Ravelry
feministmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 08:35 PM   #15
Celine
Turning the Heel

I agree!!
I too have to say that knitters are the friendliest people I have ever met!! I went to a knitting guild meeting for the first time and ALL of the ladies there were VERY friendly. I also take knitting classes at my LYS and ALL of the ladies in the classes are so nice. We always find something to chat about that is knitting or fiber related!! lol :XX: :XX: I wish I knew about this years ago...I would have gotten serious about knitting back then!
Celine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 10:45 PM   #16
knittingachiever
Knitting the Flap

I know for me, there's a little bit of the outcast's "we have to stick together" attitude in how I gravitate to other knitters. Even though knitting has gotten some more popularity lately, overall it's still kind of a marginalized activity. I could be wrong, but I doubt people have the same kind of automatic empathy when they both like, say, softball, because it's a more widely accepted and understood activity than knitting is.

We're different, and special, and we want to take care of each other. :D
knittingachiever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 11:09 PM   #17
CateKnits
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via AIM to CateKnits Send a message via MSN to CateKnits
People tend to think it's "really cool" and also really funny that I knit. I guess it's because I'm nineteen and have a bunch of piercings or something. I've been sort of ignored by salepeople at LYSs because I guess they don't think I'm a "serious" knitter. :rollseyes:
But I made a friend at work through knitting! Well, sort of. I mean, she was my buddy for having to fix all of my problems before that, anyway. :D But she just taught her daughters (around my age) how to knit over Christmas, so she just started again. She gets properly excited over the pictures of my projects that I email to my dad (I work with him, too).
What's REALLY cool is having your friend/roommate be a knitter, as well. She understands all of my knitting woes and my exciting stash enhancements. :D

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.
~Friedrich Nietzsche
Double Pointed - a knitting blog
CateKnits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 11:13 PM   #18
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,803 Times in 7,162 Posts
I've noticed that, too. Twice now when I went to the library to pick up knitting books on hold people have asked me questions. It's fun to find these common bonds in people we would otherwise probably not pay much attention, too.

HH..that story is AWESOME! Knitncook, yours is cool, too!

I haven't knit much in public yet, but I think if I want to find more kindred spirits I need to start. Thanks for these stories!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote