Old 02-18-2006, 04:47 PM   #1
geekgolightly
Turning the Heel

is it hard for other people? knitting, i mean
im trying to do this pattern
http://knitting.about.com/library/bllittlepyramids.htm

a "very easy" pattern and i keep screwing up. i forget to click on my row counter, or i space out and purl when i was supposed to knit. ive tried about six different times to make a scarf, and im just so frustrated with myself! i dont have much quiet time, so when i do i want to mazimize my knititng experience (toddler home full time) when seth isnt bounding aorund like tigger a mile a minute, and i just cant seem to get this one right. ive spent hours on it.

this one is supposed to be easy! i feel like such a moron. :(

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-18-2006, 05:00 PM   #2
Teiris
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via AIM to Teiris Send a message via MSN to Teiris
I know how you feel!

I do the same things, and always end up frogging everything.

But it just takes practice I guess, we'll get it!
Teiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 05:16 PM   #3
Sara
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via AIM to Sara
You haven't chosen a simple pattern to do. It is "easy" because it's only combinations of knit and purl stitches, but having to switch back and forth gets confusing. I've been knitting for a long time now, and I just did a project that I had to rip out three times because it was a combination of K/P on each row. Don't feel bad over this!

One trick is to print out your pattern and use a sticky note under the row you're on to mark your place. If I have to count rows, I will make check marks for each row finished. It helps a lot.

Good luck!
Old 02-18-2006, 05:45 PM   #4
Lana
Turning the Heel

Isn't doing anything with a toddler under foot a challenge?

Eventually you may be able to "see" the pattern unfold and won't have to keep track of rows.
Maybe during nap time.
Old 02-18-2006, 06:17 PM   #5
Amber
Working the Gusset

Oh gosh, I totally know what you mean. I have two young children and my knitting time is very limited. Knitting is hard for me. Not everything, and it's getting easier, but I still have to really concentrate and work at it and things don't tend to come out how I'd like them to.

Amber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 07:05 PM   #6
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
As Sara said, it is an 'easy' pattern because you only have to know how to knit and purl.

Have something with a simple, repetative stitch going when the kids are up, and bring the piece that needs closer watch out when they're sleeping. As you get further along in it and you can easily see the pattern, you might be able to do it without looking at the pattern all the time because you'll be able to tell what comes next and what doesn't 'look right.'

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 07:49 PM   #7
wildforyarn
Turning the Heel

I completely know how you feel. I have two preschoolers home, most of the time, with one of them in preschool three afternoons. Then I take care of a toddler. So, quiet time is few and far between. I found myself making a lot of mistakes in the beginning of making the Irish Hiking Scarf.

I finally began to write down each row on paper 1, 2, 3, etc. until I finished the eighth row and then started again, it was an eight row pattern. I found this a lot easier to do then do the row counter. When you get to working the pattern for a while, it will begin to sink in and you won't have to work so hard at remembering what to do when.

I totally understand though. Sometimes it is hard and easy to forget where you are in a pattern. I think that keeping one of those really small notebooks handy and a pen worked much easier for me than a row counter.

wildforyarn on Ravelry

wildforyarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 08:40 PM   #8
feministmama
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by Lana
Isn't doing anything with a toddler under foot a challenge?
What she said. Give yourself permission to mess up too. A lot. Try a pattern with less changes and remember to B-R-E-A-t-H -E .....
-That's OK, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway....
-I'm not afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens.
Reading: Barbara Kingsolver
Knitting: socks

I'm Femmy on Ravelry
feministmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 01:23 AM   #9
KristiMetz
Knitting the Flap

Oh, how funny!!! I am working with this SAME PATTERN. It's a hand towel for my mom though.

I'm doing OK with it (I have a toddler too), but only because I only work on it during nap times or in the evenings.

I wrote down the pattern, and I have been very fortunate that I always end up leaving off someplace that's easily remembered, like after row 3 or when I'm done with the pattern repeat.

It's a really cool looking pattern. Oh sure... mine has a few "personalized touches" as well! That individual flair means it will be worth millions someday, right?

I am still getting the hang of following a pattern... I have a hard time with it. I have to type it up, line by line, print it out, and check off each line. I don't know how anyone does it any other way... I guess once you've been knitting longer, there's more of a zen with the object and you can tell at a glance where you're at, maybe?
KristiMetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 05:05 AM   #10
glomper
Ribbing the Cuff

I know what you mean as I have 2 young children - both chatterboxes, and my DH is kinda loud too, very distracting.

To keep my place when knitting I either Photocopy the original so I can highlight and write all over it or carry the original around in a plastic sleeve and mark it in pencil when I want to keep track of where I am. I also use large post-its's when counting out rows where I have to increase or decrease.

I'm a great believer in row counters too, both as an aid to remember where I'm up to and as a way to stop the yarn sliding off the needle.

Because I am tired alot of the time and don't trust my powers of concentration I usually pick simpler patterns and use novelty or pretty self striping or multi-coloured yarns so that they look fancier. :XX:
glomper is offline   Reply With Quote