Old 02-22-2006, 09:53 AM   #1
hedgewick
1st Leg of the Journey

question regarding patttern...please help!
I'm working on my first project that isn't a scarf or hat. It's a rug I saw on the DIY show Knitty Gritty (love it!). However, I am not sure I'm doing the stitch right. Here's the link to the pattern. http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/cr_nee...059463,00.html

I am working on my first tube but the end stitches are very loose and there doesn't seem to be a way to tighten it up. Is there a trick to this? I tried watching the video they have on the site but it doesn't seem to work. I'm fairly new to this and have never knit using any kind of "slip" before so I want to be sure it's right before I do a bunch of these strips. It's taking forever! The rest of the knitting looks good. Just the ends (first and last stitches on each row) are loose. Thanks for any help you might have.
hedgewick is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-22-2006, 10:48 AM   #2
HeatherFeather
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to HeatherFeather
if you give an extra little tug on the second stitch you do for each row, it should tighten things up some. Also, when you pull your yarn fwd, give that an extra little pull too. You'll get into a rhythm. KellyK did some double knit, she might have some advise too!!!

HeatherFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 11:10 AM   #3
knitncook
Working the Gusset

You may also be knitting on too large of needles for the size yarn you are using. I know that the directions say to use a 10.5, but it may be that you need smaller needles for your yarn. This rug is very "leftover stash oriented" so while the designer may have used 10.5's for her rug you may need 8's for yours. Do a test swatch with different needles and see. YOu can always frog the swatches since this is for a rug afterall.

knitncook there, too!

OTN: Laughing Carrots; Jaywaler
FO: Potamus socks; Palindrome
knitncook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 02:46 PM   #4
hedgewick
1st Leg of the Journey

thanks for the ideas. I think I may try a smaller needle. The yarn I'm using is kinda thin. The pattern wasn't very specific about yarn size so I'll just have to (sigh) do a swatch. Thanks.
hedgewick is offline   Reply With Quote