Old 02-26-2006, 05:31 AM   #1
AidanM
Turning the Heel

OT - The joy of ideas that click
Besides crocheting, knitting, and an assortment of other crafts I also write. I have a book that I have been working on for a while now (At least two years!) and I periodically put it down for long periods of time. Lately I've been itching to pick it back up again and trying a type of outline to jump start myself. I was flowing along, and suddenly I realized I had nothing for my character to do. The scene I was describing was going to be pointless unless something internal happened.

So I thought.

And thought.

And then I read some articles and did some FAFSA stuff and cruised around for paying markets for short stories.

Then I re-read an article by Holly Lisle (She's absolutely brill, if any of you write - even if you have no professional aspirations - you should read her articles on her website www.hollylisle.com ) where she says that the most satisfying stories are where the character faces a fear.

My character is me. Not me Perfected or me At My Best. She's just me. So I asked, "What am I afraid of?" and now...I can write. Muhaha, the joy of ideas that give you passion is like nothing else!

------Begin Knitter's Geek Code Block------

Version: 1.1

KCR Exp> Spm-> Bam+ Alu+ Syn+++ Nov--- Cot++ Wool++ Lux Hemp+ Stash++> Scale+> Fin@ Ent? FI !Int--- Tex+ Lace Felt- Flat Circ DPN Swatch- KIP++ SNB- EZ+++ FO> WIP+++ WGauge+ Cr+++ Sw+ Wv?> Sp?>

------End Knitter's Geek Code Block-----
AidanM is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-26-2006, 09:04 AM   #2
Vendie
2nd Sock, I Rock

Wonderful! I love when something like that can just get the creative juices flowing. And I never thought about it, but I do think there's some truth to that. Whether that fear is something physical or subconsious, there's something about a character facing his or her fears that does make for a satisfying read. It's one of those universals. Good Luck Aidan!

It's only uphill until you get to the top of the hill

Vendie is offline   Reply With Quote