Old 02-28-2006, 12:47 PM   #101
CateKnits
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via AIM to CateKnits Send a message via MSN to CateKnits
Oh! I just got one yesterday when I stopped by work at home. One of the pharmacists has a daughter who just started college. The daughter crochets and all her roommates knit. I mentioned that my roommate knits and people tease about it, especially since we're always baking things, too. So then she says, "you're not very progressive women, are you?" I kind of laughed with her and then thought about it later in the car. What's not progressive about creating something for your own enjoyment out of practically nothing? What's not progressive about doing something for yourself instead of going out and buying it?

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.
~Friedrich Nietzsche
Double Pointed - a knitting blog
CateKnits is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-28-2006, 01:11 PM   #102
CarmenIbanez
Grafting the Toe

Re: Don't have time
Originally Posted by 1to1
I don't understand the comment

"I wish I had time to knit."

:rollseyes: This is while they are at a weekend basketball tournament, (plenty of time during the games and in between the games), or
while sitting at their daughter's dance class, or
while sitting at the kids practices, or
while sitting drinking coffee with friends. :rollseyes:

I knit everywhere. I think I knit more out in public than I do at home.
I HATE this one. The moms at the school where I teach say things like this. As if to say 'you obviously do not do enough in your life if you have time to knit'.
CarmenIbanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 01:33 PM   #103
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
Originally Posted by CateKnits
Oh! I just got one yesterday when I stopped by work at home. One of the pharmacists has a daughter who just started college. The daughter crochets and all her roommates knit. I mentioned that my roommate knits and people tease about it, especially since we're always baking things, too. So then she says, "you're not very progressive women, are you?" I kind of laughed with her and then thought about it later in the car. What's not progressive about creating something for your own enjoyment out of practically nothing? What's not progressive about doing something for yourself instead of going out and buying it?

okay that would have made me go off and it would have turned into some ugly political rant! :rofling:
Old 02-28-2006, 03:00 PM   #104
CateKnits
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via AIM to CateKnits Send a message via MSN to CateKnits
I'm pretty timid, so I didn't bother. Besides, she wasn't trying to be nasty or start anything. She's one of those people that's just sometimes insulting without realizing it. She's not worth fighting with, either.

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.
~Friedrich Nietzsche
Double Pointed - a knitting blog
CateKnits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 12:13 AM   #105
AidanM
Turning the Heel

What's not progressive is saying that a woman HAS to do something - Whether it be getting a career or staying home. Truly progressive people are all about letting people CHOOSE what path their life should take - Career Woman, Wife and Mother, or Both.

------Begin Knitter's Geek Code Block------

Version: 1.1

KCR Exp> Spm-> Bam+ Alu+ Syn+++ Nov--- Cot++ Wool++ Lux Hemp+ Stash++> Scale+> Fin@ Ent? FI !Int--- Tex+ Lace Felt- Flat Circ DPN Swatch- KIP++ SNB- EZ+++ FO> WIP+++ WGauge+ Cr+++ Sw+ Wv?> Sp?>

------End Knitter's Geek Code Block-----
AidanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 12:59 AM   #106
sfavereau
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by AidanM
What's not progressive is saying that a woman HAS to do something - Whether it be getting a career or staying home. Truly progressive people are all about letting people CHOOSE what path their life should take - Career Woman, Wife and Mother, or Both.
Well said, Aidan! I used to be a "career woman" up until Oct of last year. I hated every single second of it. I was the sole network administrator for a regional office and a lot got dumped on me. DH works from home as freelance 3d modeler/graphic artist and together we couldn't afford to live in southern CA. So, I quit my job, we moved to Colorado Springs and I don't work. I "only" knit and quilt and take care of my doggie (who is recovering from a couple surgeries, as mentioned in a couple other threads). I consider myself darn progressive for taking this path! And, by the way, DH is happy as long as I'm happy! And no, I'm not a sahm, unless you count my furbaby as my child.

My blog
sfavereau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 02:32 PM   #107
nicolethegeek
Instepping Out

Most of the comments I get are the granny type ones... regardless of whether or not I need a date with Miss Clairol or not. Most of the people I work with are used to seeing me knit or crochet on my breaks, so I usually just get "what are you making now?" comments. One morning as I was getting ready to leave, the day shift was sitting at my usual table, and I grabbed my bag of knitting. "oh! *you're* the knitter!" I guess they'd all been looking at my various projects over the weeks and curious as to who on the night shift knitted! The department manager for crafts and fabrics teases me all the time that I don't do any housework or anything, or when do I sleep? My answer always is: Well I need something to do to stay awake until my kids get home from school and I can go to bed finally!

My DH is funny though... he can explain what frogging is, and how certain hooks or needles are better than others, but when I'm knitting something new, he'll ask me "what are you crocheting now?". Or if I bring along a project {like HIS socks}, "you got your crocheting with you?". I guess he's so used to me doing nothing but crocheting {and that's all that anyone in his family does}, that it's the only thing he can think of!!

What I found TOTALLY cool recently was with the KO. I have a manager that I don't get along with very well, but she has her moments. Since the booger was the only project I was bringing back and forth with me to work, she got to learn the story behind it at bit {our bags are checked by management before we leave}. Towards the end, she had asked me if I finished, and even if I had gotten my gold medal This from a non-crafter that would probably have no better goal in life than to see me quit my job!!!! {And she wants to see it when I bring it in on Thursday night!!!}

Nicole's Crochet Bistro
NCB/The Purl in the Oyster {patterns & stitch markers}
The Purl in the Oyster {my blog}

Year of the Sweater KAL: Pinwheel Top {Skacel Yarn Ad Sweater} in two strands of Sirdar Denim Chunky {just needs seaming}
Current UFO Extermination Project: Homespun sweater coat {frogged and being reknit}
nicolethegeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 02:36 PM   #108
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
Originally Posted by nicolethegeek
{our bags are checked by management before we leave}.

okay my love of walmart has been well documented on these forums but color me shocked and appalled! i get the reason but i am still shocked and appalled!
Old 03-01-2006, 04:12 PM   #109
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
ohh I didn't know they did that... its great that she asked you about it and wants to see it!!

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 04:52 PM   #110
quirky
Knitting the Flap

Not progressive???

What is not progressive about NOT being shackled to someone else's idea of identity? Honestly thats a woman head'n for a heart attack!

I just discovered that my lys has a class/ discussion group on how to handle pesky nay-sayers. Priceless really! :D

Quote:
SALLY’S TOP TEN LISTS
Friday, March 10, 7:30-9pm, $10
We’ve all heard them: those ‘things’ people say or ask someone who is knitting in public. Are there appropriate responses? Unfortunately, sometimes not: we just have to smile and shrug and remain the good-natured people we are. But sometimes we CAN answer and turn these into positive and educative events! The universe then unfolds as it should! ALL LEVELS WELCOME.

"Never EVER give up."
quirky is offline   Reply With Quote