Old 12-26-2006, 06:47 PM   #181
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by letah75
I got one the other day. I was knitting at work and my co-worker yelled out "KNIT ONE, PURL TWO!!!! I don't know what the means but I know it has something to do with knitting." So now every time she sees me she yells out "Knit One, Purl Two!!!"
If I remember correctly, that's a Wilma Flintstone quote. From when she was knitting booties for Pebbles.

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-26-2006, 08:01 PM   #182
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,908 Posts
Originally Posted by nadja la claire
I know I've already posted to this thread but.........Gotta another great quoteable knitting quote. People just say the darndest things. I work at an art school and one day last week I was on my break sitting happily knitting and a young woman asked me what I was making. I replied that I was making a scarf for my nephew for Christmas. She looked at the cabled pattern and said "Wow that looks really hard." I smiled and said "No, not really." "Oh" she said flatly. "Then what's the use of doing it?" and with that she walked away.

Nadja xxx
Who put HER panties in a wad?
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 01:22 AM   #183
madametj
Working the Gusset

here's an extremely short, but cute conversation between me and my 4-year-old cousin while i was finishing her fluffy, pink scarf

Me: "How long does it take to make a scarf?"

Her: "Ummmm, I think 3 minutes."

that 1 had me giggling for a while

Bust some Stash!
madametj on Ravelry (quick, go add me as your friend and I'll add you! )
madametj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 10:15 AM   #184
psammeadred
Working the Gusset

At the doctor's office last week: "Oh, I could never do that." It was a stockinette baby sweater, about as hard as tyeing your shoelaces.

psammeadred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 11:38 AM   #185
Krystal
Turning the Heel

Guy on a bus: "I thought only grandma's and old ladies knitted?"

Me on a bus: "Well I sure busted that stereotype for ya, now didn't I?"

I'm still not sure if my response irritated or amused him.

Old 12-27-2006, 11:56 AM   #186
Jackie M.
Turning the Heel

Makes you want to say, "Well, the grandma's and old ladies were young once too. They learned to knit from their mothers." Do people think only old people learn to knit?
Old 12-27-2006, 12:02 PM   #187
Jackie M.
Turning the Heel

I don't knit in public much so I've not heard any strange or weird comments. Once though when I was in a doctor's office and waiting for my husband I had the knitting and the woman near me says she wished she had learned to knit. I told her it wasn't as hard as it looked, but she said she only crocheted. I told her I use to crochet afghans all the time and she said, "You mean you can knit AND crochet?" .....as if you should only be able to do one or the other.
Old 12-27-2006, 12:50 PM   #188
feminine_earth
Knitting the Flap

I've only been knitting since September, but the few times that I've knitted in public, I haven't really gotten any negative comments, just a few blank, mouth-gaping stares.

A few weeks ago, though, when I was telling a co-worker that I had to leave on time because I was hosting a knitting get-together that evening, he kinda smirked and said, "Well aren't you turning all domestic..."

Whatev. :rollseyes:

Oh! And every single time my husband tells his family back in Ireland that I've started knitting, they ALL ask if I'm pregnant (I'm not.).

On the Needles: Too many UFO's!
On the Nightstand: The Mists of Avalon and a variety of midwifery texts.

feminine_earth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 06:02 PM   #189
letah75
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by feminine_earth
he kinda smirked and said, "Well aren't you turning all domestic..."

Whatev. :rollseyes:
OMgoodness, my friends have said that too. Or the inevitable, "Hunh, I never would have pegged you for the domestic type."

Some of my co-workers are amazed that I knit, and cook, and make candles, and they tell me all the time "ohhhh, you're crafty, I NEVER would have guessed." The way the say it seems like they expect me to go home, plop on the sofa like a female Al Bundy, drink a beer, burp, and stare at the t.v. with my mouth open.

I have however gotten one of my coworkers to try knitting, she's completed two scarves and gave them to people as christmas gifts. She is one who swears she is not "crafty" and would never knit. So now on Friday's after work we go to Michael's and pick out yarn for her, and new needles.

"Shared pain is lessened; shared joy, increased thus do we refute entropy." - Spider Robinson
letah75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 02:28 AM   #190
rohanknitter
Casting On

I was knitting while waiting at my son's karate class....
Lady: "What are you making/"
Me: "A scarf for my grandma."
Lady: "Oh, well those are good grandma colors."

What does that mean???

On a side note, I'm amazed how often I'm in situations where you are just basically sitting and waiting (ie, karate class) and NO ONE is ever doing anything with their hands, or reading, or anything. These are of course the same people that tell you they don't have time to knit.
rohanknitter is offline   Reply With Quote