Old 02-25-2006, 02:21 AM   #1
JGM
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to JGM
Front load washer and a hand wash sweater
We just got a brand spanking new washer and dryer from my parents as a wedding gift and I was wondering...there's a hand wash setting that says it washes just like hand washing with a gentle rocking back and forth...it's a front load GE washer. I was just wondering if anyone had tried washing a hand wash sweater on a setting like this. The sweater's not finished yet, so I can't try it out...yeah i know i know, knit a swatch and test it...but I don't think I have enough yarn to spare if it felts! The sweater's for my fiance, and I don' think she'll wear it enough if it's hand wash only. We're both pretty lazy.

-----BEGIN KNITTER'S GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
KER++ Exp+(+) SPM+(+) Wood@ KPO++ !Pl Boye- Cas? Den> Bam> Syn- !Nov Cot>+ Wool+++ Hemp>+ Stash+(+) Scale+ Fin(+) ENT> FI+ Int+ Tex++ Lace> Felt+ Flat Circ++ DPN++ ML+>+ Swatch-@ KIP->+ Blog++ EZ->+ FO WIP GaugeF(DW, W) AltCr
------END KNITTER'S GEEK CODE BLOCK------
JGM is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-25-2006, 05:32 AM   #2
loisamelia
Casting On

i have a machine that does this also. i have washed things that say hand wash on the label but they arent woollen iyswim. tbh i dont know if i would trust it. maybe you could do it but without the spin cycle.
Lois
loisamelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 09:36 AM   #3
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,244 Times in 1,838 Posts
It's iffy. I'd watch it as it went through it's cycle and see how much agitation it puts the garment through. If it is really just a swishing back and forth, it might be ok, but I'd be worried about any spin cycle, too. That could really distort your sweater. You can't open a front loader when it's full, usually, so run something through it and see what happens.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 10:20 AM   #4
bjc1050
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Ingrid
It's iffy. I'd watch it as it went through it's cycle and see how much agitation it puts the garment through. If it is really just a swishing back and forth, it might be ok, but I'd be worried about any spin cycle, too. That could really distort your sweater. You can't open a front loader when it's full, usually, so run something through it and see what happens.
That's probably the best advice. However, must say that many years ago I had a cashmere sweater that went thru many washing machine and dryer cycles at the laundromat and survived pretty nicely. We lived in a small mobile home and there simply wasn't space for drying things flat. Eventually, years later, it did shrink some and/or I got heavier,

http://crochetbydayknitterbynight.blogspot.com/

Gen 8:22

While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease
KJV
bjc1050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 10:27 AM   #5
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
you might even just want to run something simple like a couple of towels or something if you haven't seen what that spin cycle is like. i can't imagine it would say that it is just like hand washing and have a spin like it does all other cycles.

my front load can be opened any time through the cycle as long as it isn't in the process of spinning. once it gets to spin it stays locked for a few minutes after it comes to a complete stop. all machines are different.

felting is harder in the front loads but i gotta say, i LOVE mine. i had one of those big 300 oz bottles of detergent and it lasted me THREE years....and i do about 5-10 loads of laundry a week (just saying i DO was my clothes in case you were wondering! :rofling: ) LOVE THAT!
Old 02-25-2006, 01:41 PM   #6
Pixywhispers
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to Pixywhispers
We love our front loading washer with four kids! They are so powerful! And my clothes are cleaner. But something that has happened is that sometimes when its either too full or not full enough items will get stuck between the door and the tub and when the spin cycle comes on it will twist the item to h*ll.

It's happened to a couple of my long sleeve shirts. Hate to add to your worry.

There is a time to be born and a time to die. A time to laugh and a time to cry, but there never seems to be enough time to knit.-Anon. (or to visit KH!)

Come visit my blog.
Pixywhispers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 11:36 AM   #7
Arugula
1st Leg of the Journey

When I was reading Knitting Without Tears, EZ said to wash your sweaters by hand-period. That you should treat them with love, like the work of art they are and be appreciative of the many manhours it took to create them. Thinking about that, I don't mind handwashing, it is almost reverent for me now. Anyway, she also said that you should soak them only touching them if there is a tough spot of dirt somewhere, drain, soak rinse and soak rinse again if there is still soap in the water. Seems to me a washing machine can't really deliver that. And honestly, it is surprisingly easy when you realize you don't have to "wash" them in the true sense of the word, just let them sit in some water for a while. I washed 4 sweaters and a scarf in my bathtub yesterday and aside from squeezing the water out between towels, it was very easy.
Old 02-26-2006, 11:40 AM   #8
Arugula
1st Leg of the Journey

Oh, I wanted to add to please forgive my paraphrasing if I am grossly wrong, I borrowed the book from the library and couldn't renew it so it isn't committed to memory-yet.

(By the way, I originally typed the title with an error: Knitting Without Teats. I assume that is a totally different problem! )
Old 02-26-2006, 12:04 PM   #9
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,244 Times in 1,838 Posts
Originally Posted by Arugula
(By the way, I originally typed the title with an error: Knitting Without Teats. I assume that is a totally different problem! )
:rofling: :rofling:

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 10:20 AM   #10
AmandaC
Instepping Out

Send a message via MSN to AmandaC
Hi - here in the UK you can only get the front load washing machines, so I've never used a top loader (except when I was in Chicago for 6 weeks .... ah memories ...)

Anyway - handwash cycle. Generally this is fine, tho to be honest, my handwash items sit at the bottom of the laundry basket for 6 months before I give in and stick them in the washing machine on the handwash cycle .... I am way to lazy to handwash by hand - although now I am actually knitting my handwash items I may be motivated to look after them better :D
Askew - Rowan Summer Tweed - Rush - well... off the needles but needs to be blocked and seamed
Monkey socks - Lisa Souza - Mars Quake

LAST FINISHED:
Anthropologie inspired capelet - mmmmMalabrigo chunky - hummingbird
Simple Knitted Bodice - Glampyre - KP Andrean Silk - Olive
Rowan - Hero Jumper - Rowan Denim
MY MASTER'S SOCK 2 - Lisa Souza - Lime & Violet

I'm toftie
AmandaC is offline   Reply With Quote