Old 03-01-2006, 02:18 PM   #11
DotMom61
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via AIM to DotMom61 Send a message via MSN to DotMom61 Send a message via Yahoo to DotMom61
Darhain, that is BEAUTIFUL!!! I want some now. Oooo ... and to think I might actually get to FEEL it when you finish your Clapotis.

Funny you brought this topic up. I need to make a shawl, shrug, bolero or something for my DD's First Communion, and I am considering some silky-ish tape yarn w/ a very short fringe on the sides. I think I'm going to give it a try here later today & see what happens.

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted. | Albert Einstein
DotMom61 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-01-2006, 05:18 PM   #12
feministmama
Instepping Out

:drooling: :drooling: :drooling:
-That's OK, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway....
-I'm not afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens.
Reading: Barbara Kingsolver
Knitting: socks

I'm Femmy on Ravelry
feministmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 02:46 PM   #13
ForexGuides
Casting On

Think this yarn would work for a clapotis?
A few people have expressed interest in making a Clapotis out of a single (large) skein of sock yarn, so I thought I’d post some more details about my Clapotis as well as some tips based on my experience.

Here’s what I did:

1. I weighed my yarn before starting - it was 118 grams.
2. I chose US 5 (3.75 mm) needles, which was what my friend Peggy used and a size bigger than my last sockweight Clapotis (pictured here and detailed here). My gauge in the pattern before dropping any stitches was 25-26 stitches over 4 inches.
3. I started knitting according to the pattern. When I got to 6.5 increase repeats (99 stitches [edit: although I wrote down 99, the math doesn't work right - I think it must've been 95 stitches]) and had 96 g of yarn left, I stopped increasing (and worried that I should’ve stopped increasing earlier). I subtracted that 96 g from 118 g and kept this number (22) firmly in my head, as it was the amount I would need for the decrease section.
4. I moved on to the straight section, weighing the remaining yarn as frequently as I could. It fluctuated quite a bit, but I seemed to be using 5 to 7 g of yarn per repeat.
5. After 6.5 straight repeats, I knew I was halfway through the pattern if I kept the original number of straight repeats. I held it outstretched, trying to gauge how much additional length I’d have after dropping the stitches. I had no idea if it would end up long enough, but the knitting was so enjoyable that I knew I wouldn’t be too devestated if I had to frog and reknit it.
6. After 12 straight repeats, I had 30 g left - plenty for one additional straight increase followed by the decrease section. I still put in a lifeline - in case I ran out of yarn, I could easily go back to before the last straight repeat and start the decrease section there instead. And in case I had enough extra yarn for another repeat, I could also go back and add it in.
7. After the thirteenth straight repeat with 25 g left, I started to decrease.
8. I bound off with only 3 g of extra yarn - not enough for another repeat. I removed the lifeline and dropped all the stitches down.
9. It was a little on the short side, so before cutting the yarn end and weaving in the ends, I tried to estimate how much length blocking would give me by stretching it. It was hard to gauge, so I went ahead and blocked it by spritzing it with water and pinning it as long and wide as I could.
10. Once it was dry, I tried it on. At about 48 inches, it was long enough! It was also wide enough at 11 inches that it could function as a small stole around my shoulders. I cut the yarn end, wove in the ends, and did a full wet block.
11. I’ve been carrying it with me happily since. The weather cooperated long enough for me to wear it as a scarf on a couple evenings, but summer weather has hit Los Angeles so I think it’s switched its function to being a light stole instead.