Old 02-27-2006, 03:49 AM   #1
Jackie F.
Knitting the Flap

How do YOU wrap your stitches doing short rows? Ingrid?
Before I start, let me say I realize that I do not have to wrap my stitches (I've practiced the YO and Japanese short row methods using NonaKnits blog: http://nonaknits.typepad.com/nonakni...ues/index.html...). I would just like to learn more about the proper wrapping technique for socks.

Based on my internet search, I found two different ways to wrap a stitch: 1) Move the yarn, then slip; or 2) Slip, then move the yarn.

The first method wraps a knit-side stitch from front to back (therefore, back to front on the purl side). The second method wraps a knit-side stitch back to front (therefore, front to back on the purl side).

Is one method better than the other or affect the appearance? I'm concerned with getting a mirror image on each side. Most patterns I've seen use only one method exclusively. However, I did see a considerable number of sock patterns that used method #1 for the knit side and method #2 for the purlside.

Also... Which method wraps the stitch tighter? A tighter wrap is better, right?

What is your take?

OTN: Henley Perfected, Fifi
Jackie F. is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-04-2006, 01:50 AM   #2
Jackie F.
Knitting the Flap

proper short row wrapping technique... Ingrid? Anyone?
Please... someone must know about short row wrapping:

I realize that I do not have to wrap my stitches (I've practiced the YO and Japanese short row methods using NonaKnits blog: http://nonaknits.typepad.com/nonakni...ues/index.html...). I would just like to learn more about proper wrapping technique. I've visited many blogs or sites that show technique (including KH). But, they all seem to vary.

Based on my internet search, I found two different ways to wrap a stitch: 1) Move the yarn, then slip; or 2) Slip, then move the yarn.

The first method wraps a knit-side stitch from front to back (therefore, back to front on the purl side). The second method wraps a knit-side stitch back to front (therefore, front to back on the purl side).

Is one method better than the other or affect the appearance? I'm concerned with getting a mirror image on each side. Most patterns I've seen use only one method exclusively. However, I did see a considerable number of sock patterns that used method #1 for the knit side and method #2 for the purl side.

Also... Which method wraps the stitch tighter? A tighter wrap is better, right?

THANK YOU!

Old 03-04-2006, 01:53 AM   #3
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,750 Times in 7,120 Posts
Oh boy..I wish I could help you, but I know others know how to do this. Bad time of night for answers, but I'm sure you'll get some tomorrow!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 02:20 AM   #4
knitbebe
1st Leg of the Journey

Long row heel need visual aid!
I'm in serious need of visuals for "long row" the heel. I've completed the short row and am now ready to long row.

I'm following this sock pattern - http://hellchick.net

thanks,
knitbebe
knitbebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 09:36 AM   #5
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
First, let me reiterate here--I'm not a sock maker. If don't know how to answer specific questions that pertain only to socks, because there are experts around here.

I do, however know how to pick up wraps. On this pattern, she wants you to knit to the first wrap. You'll see it across the front of the stitch. I usually lift it up onto the left needle and then knit them together.

In this case, she wants you to wrap the next stitch and turn, then work to the first wrap the other way. You'll have to find the wrap for the purl--it's around the back, and a little harder to find, and then put that on your needle and knit it together with the next stitch. Then wrap the next one. It sounds like you go back and forth this way, picking up wraps and then wrapping the next one.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 01:54 PM   #6
knitbebe
1st Leg of the Journey

Thanks!! Ingrid,
I read over your explanation a couple of times & it clicked

:XX:
knitbebe
Old 03-05-2006, 04:45 PM   #7
Jackie F.
Knitting the Flap

re: made a decision
After going back and rereading NonaKnits' site, I decided to just go ahead and wrap my stitches after slipping them, both on the knit and purl sides. We'll see if this creates a mirror image if done on both sides.

Old 03-05-2006, 07:56 PM   #8
knitbebe
1st Leg of the Journey

Pro & Con for toe up
I completed my heel. Had holes in the heel that you could drive a vw through. I ripped 4 times to get a better heel, but finally conceded. I used some yarn to sew up the offensive holes.

If anyone here has found a great technique for toe up socks--short row/long row I would love to hear about it. toe-ups are great because you can use any yarn (as long as you like the fabric), try them on, create a beautiful toe with the turkish or figure 8 c.o.--- But, the heel is agony & defeat!

Knitbebe