Old 02-28-2006, 06:06 PM   #1
Yogamommi
Casting On

Knitting Fingers
I am new to knitting and I hold the yarn in my right hand. I'm noticing that I'm getting a callous (which is sore) on my right index finger. Is this supposed to happen? :thinking: If so does anyone have any ideas of what to do or is this part of knitting that gets better over time?
Yogamommi is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-28-2006, 07:26 PM   #2
knittingachiever
Knitting the Flap

Is it where the yarn drapes over your finger to hold tension?

The same thing has happened to me, but now I'm calloused like a bass player and I can't feel a thing, so it should get better. If it gets raw, try some triple antibiotic ointment on it overnight.

I had a sore finger experience just recently when I broke out a set of vintage plastic dpns from my late grandmother's cache. They're really sharp, and I got a raw sore spot on the tip of my finger where I'd brace the needle tip to scooch the loops up. Youch!
knittingachiever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 07:30 PM   #3
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
I have callouses from knitting, too. If I'm working on a long project, I'll build them up in particular spots. I've had to use bandaids for very sharp needles because I must be consistent--I'd poke the same sore spot every single time!
Protect it while it's raw, and your skin will get used to it.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 07:37 PM   #4
aylaanne
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to aylaanne Send a message via MSN to aylaanne Send a message via Yahoo to aylaanne
I've used pieces of moleskin that I cut and place on my fingers as well, the yarn and the needles rip up the moleskin and leave my fingers alone. After I take it off, the adhesive comes off with a little acetone nail polish remover.

In the queue:
Jack Skellington baby afghan
Finished: Warm Up America Square, Basketweave Baby Blanket (now to ship it), Massachusetts Dishcloth for the Yarn Harlot, Homeless Hat
, water bottle cozy

aylaanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 07:38 PM   #5
knittingachiever
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by aylaanne
I've used pieces of moleskin that I cut and place on my fingers as well, the yarn and the needles rip up the moleskin and leave my fingers alone. After I take it off, the adhesive comes off with a little acetone nail polish remover.
That's a cool idea. I'll have to try it!
knittingachiever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 08:22 PM   #6
sogrammatical
Knitting the Flap

I've had to train myself not to push the tip of the needles against my fingertips when I'm getting stitches off the end of the needle because I would get really sore spots.
Old 02-28-2006, 08:30 PM   #7
Lana
Turning the Heel

Interesting.............. :thinking:

I work my yarn with my left hand and I have never experienced calloused fingers.
Sore thumb joints required me to modify my technique several years ago.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:16 PM   #8
aylaanne
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to aylaanne Send a message via MSN to aylaanne Send a message via Yahoo to aylaanne
Originally Posted by Lana
Interesting.............. :thinking:

I work my yarn with my left hand and I have never experienced calloused fingers.
Sore thumb joints required me to modify my technique several years ago.
I learned how to continental knit so that I won't have sore fingers with dpns, at least. I like it for working seed stitch, too.

In the queue:
Jack Skellington baby afghan
Finished: Warm Up America Square, Basketweave Baby Blanket (now to ship it), Massachusetts Dishcloth for the Yarn Harlot, Homeless Hat
, water bottle cozy

aylaanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 12:22 PM   #9
hedgehog
Knitting the Flap

Location: mind, heart and body in Oxford, England... and i follow The 'Grid on tour...
I have gotten sore fingertips before as well. When working fast on a LONG project the pads on my fingers hurt from pushing on the tip of the left needle

I use leather thimbles to protect my fingertips. It was a little funky to get used to at first, but after a while it got really easy. They have a little plastic barrier that is perfect to use instead of my tender fingers!

-hh
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	thimble_153.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	25445  

On Needles: Bobby from Rowan's Tadpoles and Tiddlers in KP Shine Sport on indefinite hold...
Reading: The God of Small Things by A. Roy
hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 08:12 PM   #10
bjc1050
Turning the Heel

I have found these Thimble-Its to be VERY helpful. They come in packages of 64 and are reusable. I found them at Michael's for $3.99 a package, but they can be ordered on line, also. With Michael's 40% coupon, they would be even less expensive. I think they are investment. They hold up to the knitting needles.

http://www.colonialneedle.com/qsgrap...bleit_both.jpg

http://crochetbydayknitterbynight.blogspot.com/

Gen 8:22

While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease
KJV
bjc1050 is offline   Reply With Quote