Old 02-28-2006, 10:30 PM   #11

Oh my gosh, you all have said some pretty impressive things. Thank you so much.

Sfavereau - I totally agree with you about your furbaby! I just call them my kids! If I could I'd have 10 more dogs, I love dogs.

I don't know though about the whole 'if you wait till you can afford them, you'll never have any' theory. In my heart I know you are probably right, but in my head that makes no sense :rollseyes: I'm so conflicted.

There are so many things in our lives that are up in the air that it wouldn't make sense to start trying, but then I think, what if it takes us years to conceive? (I have endometriosis) And then I suffer from migraines and my hubby is type 1 diabetic. These also make me wonder if we should have kids. I wouldn't in a million years wish a migraine on my worst enemy let alone my own child. And then my hubby worries about passing the diabetes also. And I also realize that there is no guarantee that they would get either of those, sigh, I am really over-thinking this whole thing.

I know that in the end I will go with my gut, it's never failed me before! If I could just shut my brain down for a day or two...

I mean, raising kids in this day in age (who says that anymore!) just the thought of it scares the crap out of me. You wouldn't believe the thoughts I've had, oy vey. I guess I just needed to vent to you to help me sort some of it out.

BTW, hubby is all for it, when we're ready.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-28-2006, 11:01 PM   #12
Friskums

Originally Posted by doglover
There are so many things in our lives that are up in the air that it wouldn't make sense to start trying, but then I think, what if it takes us years to conceive? (I have endometriosis) And then I suffer from migraines and my hubby is type 1 diabetic. These also make me wonder if we should have kids. I wouldn't in a million years wish a migraine on my worst enemy let alone my own child. And then my hubby worries about passing the diabetes also. And I also realize that there is no guarantee that they would get either of those, sigh, I am really over-thinking this whole thing.
This is part of the reason my bf and I have decided not to have kids once we are married. My family has a major history of alcoholism, depression, and various minor other traits. My mom is a recovering alcoholic, was diagnosed with bi-polar a year or so ago, and a few years before that was diagnosed with fibromyalgia. My dad's side also has alcoholism, depression, and my dad's dad died of heart problems.
Growing up I already know I've got issues with depression, and I'm worried about the bi-polar thing...if one day it just busts out like it did with my mom. Same with the fibro. It's a terrible terrible thing to live with. And researching it has led me to believe I may have that as well. So, just knowing -my- history, I was worried about passing any/all of that to my kids.
My bf is adopted, so we don't really know what his blood carries. Which kind of makes it worse. I'd rather know, so we could determine if it's worth it.
Originally Posted by doglover
I mean, raising kids in this day in age (who says that anymore!) just the thought of it scares the crap out of me. You wouldn't believe the thoughts I've had, oy vey. I guess I just needed to vent to you to help me sort some of it out.
The other part of why we decided not to is because of the world and society. I don't have any hope that the world will ever be a better place then what it is now, and frankly that thought terrifies me. If this is as good as it's going to be...
-
In the end we decided that the health risks and the way the world is going is not a good place for children to be raised in.
Additionally, we both agree there are far far too many people in the world. Of course, on the other hand, part of me wants to so that we could have a smart kid to try to keep the balance on all the idiots out there breeding like rabbits. (Not saying they are idiots for having lots of kids. Just that there are a lot of stupid people in the world.)
-
I realize I'm going against what most people have said here, but I'm just sharing my 2 cents.
-
Don't get me wrong. I'd -love- to have a baby. I've always wanted the big preggie belly to rub and use as a resting spot for a glass of juice or something while I'm watching tv. And to watch my little boy or girl run around and know that I created that. It makes my heart gush at the thought of it.
-
We're both young yet (I'm 22, he's 24) but I plan on getting my tubes tied as soon as I can afford it. If, later on in life, we decide we made a mistake and wish we had had a child, there's -always- the option for adoption. And I'm all about helping animals and people that are already here and need as much help as they can get.
-
The fact that I don't have kids may be part of the reason I'm thinking the way I am, but it doesn't change the fact that there's other options out there.
-
Yes, our bodies are telling us we need to procreate. But I think it's more of a instinctual need to ensure the species survives than anything else.
And honestly, I think there are too many people out there as it is.
-
Sorry this got so lengthy. Didn't mean to turn it into a long post. Just wanted to get another perspective in the lot.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:13 PM   #13
aylaanne
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to aylaanne Send a message via MSN to aylaanne Send a message via Yahoo to aylaanne
Originally Posted by frisky_kittie
Yes, our bodies are telling us we need to procreate. But I think it's more of a instinctual need to ensure the species survives than anything else.
And honestly, I think there are too many people out there as it is.
This is true. I've wanted children for my entire life, I've done research and study on child psychology, human development, pre-pregnancy nutrition, pregnancy and childbirth healthcare and choices, early childhood education and parenting theory for the last ten years (and I'm only 25, I started in high school). I personally feel that it takes that much committment before becoming a parent to be truly successful, but I do know people who fudge it very well.

and while my fiance and I plan to procreate biologically, when I'm 35 the doors are closed. Anything that has or hasn't happened by then is it. The risks after that are too high for me to consider pregnancy, especially when there are so many children out there who need the love and the roof I can provide for them.
Originally Posted by frisky_kittie
We're both young yet (I'm 22, he's 24) but I plan on getting my tubes tied as soon as I can afford it.
There's another option to surgery, called "essure", that's safer and just as effective (and possibly cheaper, too). www.essure.com

In the queue:
Jack Skellington baby afghan
Finished: Warm Up America Square, Basketweave Baby Blanket (now to ship it), Massachusetts Dishcloth for the Yarn Harlot, Homeless Hat
, water bottle cozy

aylaanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 11:24 PM   #14
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,244 Times in 1,838 Posts
If, in your heart, you want to have a baby, have a baby. Nobody was ever evicted because they had to buy diapers. You'll manage.

The world is harsher than it once was, true; but raise your child with values and kindness, because good people make the world a better place, too.

I thought I knew what love was until I had my children. Boy, I didn't know a thing.

Yes, there is worry, and fear, and guilt, and days when you wonder what the hell you were thinking. But then there's the love you have for your children. And you know what? It's really cool to be loved "best of all" just because you're Mom. It's also so nice to know that your mere presence can comfort.

It's not all intellectual stuff, biological stuff or financial stuff. It's much, much deeper.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 11:26 PM   #15
Friskums

Originally Posted by aylaanne
There's another option to surgery, called "essure", that's safer and just as effective (and possibly cheaper, too). www.essure.com
Thanks for the tip. I'll definately be checking that out.
(And just so you know, if you want to edit your post, the link contains the period after .com and doesn't work unless you delete it.)
Old 03-01-2006, 01:30 AM   #16
JessicaR
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to JessicaR Send a message via Yahoo to JessicaR
I go back and forth even though the general opinion between my husband and I are no kids. But working at Target I see that worst of the worst. But then I see a little baby, soundly sleeping with it's perfect little face and hands and feet and I smile. And I go through ups and down with my hormones, but something always snaps me out of it. I was really in a spot where I wanted more for us, so we got a dog. And she has filled that void in our lives. Maybe someday we'll have kids, but I'm really thinking not. But that's us, just me and him and the doggie makes three tonight :D
Old 03-01-2006, 04:57 AM   #17
TwoLeftNeedles
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by Ingrid

I thought I knew what love was until I had my children. Boy, I didn't know a thing.

(snip)

It's not all intellectual stuff, biological stuff or financial stuff. It's much, much deeper.
A resounding amen to that. It's a soul-shaking change that I can't find words to explain.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:03 AM   #18
kellyjo32
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by Ingrid
I don't have kids *yet* but I know that Ingrid is right on this one. And that statement sums up the beauty of having kids.
Yes, the world is a super scary place at times, but for each generation, I'm sure it was scary for them as well. We can't live our lives in fear, wondering what may or may not happen. One person can't always change the world, but one person can change your world.
Monkey's in STR Titania
My So Called Scarf in Manos del Uruguay 115 (Flame)
Wonderful Wallaby in Berroco Ultra Alpaca
Dale of Norway Sheep Sweater
kellyjo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 10:45 AM   #19
koolbreeze
Working the Gusset

Send a message via Yahoo to koolbreeze
DON'T borrow someones kids for a weekend! i have for 4 kids about to #5 and i'll be 29 this year. and i can honsetly say i am a kid person when it comes to my kids.. but i have a very low tolerance for other peoples kids...even my neice. if your clock it ticking go for it. its always different when its your children. and as long as you treat them right and raise them right won't no one be looking at you crazy wondering what is wrong with her! good luck and i hope everything is easy for you!

Some people are alive only because it's illegal to kill them.
Stupidity is not a handicap. Park elsewhere!
They call it PMS because MadCow Disease was already taken.
koolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 01:05 PM   #20

Originally Posted by JessicaR
But working at Target I see that worst of the worst. But then I see a little baby, soundly sleeping with it's perfect little face and hands and feet and I smile.
This is sooo true for me too. Why is it that when I'm in walmart, or any store for that matter, there is some parent pushing a child SCREAMING at the top of their lungs? And they just poo pooey them. Or ignore them, or what seems like they are ignoring it.

There was one time that I'm in Joann's minding my own business in the yarn dept. and this woman is walking up and down the aisle with her daughter just wailing. It got so bad that I had to leave the store. I was so pissed off. Why do people think its okay to let their kid do that? Why do parents take their kids out in public and let them act like little terrors?

I realize that the majority of parents do not allow this, but I must have some sort of sensory magnet in my body that attracts these people to the stores that I'm in!! :rofling:

Lets just say that when I'm in those situations, my maternal needs go into a coma.

If we could we would adopt a child, but it is just ridiculously expensive. I realize that they just can't have anybody adopt a child, but they could lower the price just a tad.

I just want to thank everyone again for making me feel a whole lot better about this situation. You have all been such a help. :sunny: