Old 03-04-2006, 12:06 PM   #1
gardenmommy
Instepping Out

Cozy from Knitty...suggested yarn subs for Florida please
Thinking about knitting Cozy for FIL's GF, and thankfully her birthday isn't until October. :D They live in the Tampa Bay, Florida area, so obviously I don't want anything too heavy/warm but it's often nice to have something on winter nights and when the A/C is blasting.

I really like the looks of the Reynolds Mandalay [100% silk; 98yds/88m per 50g skein]; color: #32 "oatfield"; 8 skeins that it calls, for but the price is a bit out of my budget (I think it runs about 10.00 a skein). I like the neutral color too.

So what would be a good substitute both price and fiber-wise. I saw the new KP worsted Shine and even the Main Line (75% Pima Cotton, 25% Merino Wool)...or would the wool blend be too warm for Florida? Even a less expensive 100% silk sounds would be okay, but I'm assuming silk is a bit tricker to work with, correct?

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-04-2006, 12:30 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
I used the Mandalay for my Cozy and it was no different than working with any non stretchy wool. Sort of like cotton, but not at all splitty like cotton would be. I thought it would be shiny like other silks I've seen, but it's not.

So a cotton probably would work for this, too. I don't think the merino in KP yarn would make it too warm, since it's an open weave, but I think it would make it softer and easier to work with than straight cotton. I think that would be a good choice, actually.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 12:52 PM   #3
gardenmommy
Instepping Out

And I looooove the understated colors the Main Line comes in...decisions decisions. Should probably choose Ivory though.
Old 03-04-2006, 01:00 PM   #4
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
Ivory would be neutral. I made mine in a berry color and it looked very nice. I suspect that any of the colors would be versatile to wear--or maybe the Cozy would be nice enough for her to find clothing to match IT.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 11:08 AM   #5
knitncook
Working the Gusset

As a Floridian, I can tell you that open worked wool will not be too warm for what you are intending this cozy to be. The people down here think that if it is 105 outside that it needs to be 32 inside. (and likewise if it is 32 outside it needs to be 105 inside). I always carry a shrug, shawl or lightweight sweater with me when I go anywhere all year long. Wool breathes so even in warmer weather it isn't going to make you terribly hot. Especially if you are sitting inside an air conditioned movie theater with your teeth chattering and know you are going to be hit with a blast of oven temperatures when you go outside! :rofling:

knitncook there, too!

OTN: Laughing Carrots; Jaywaler
FO: Potamus socks; Palindrome
knitncook is offline   Reply With Quote