Old 03-03-2006, 10:06 AM   #1
katiyana
Ribbing the Cuff

news story about an elementary school knitting club
How cool is this?

http://www.kolnkgin.com/home/headlines/2393761.html

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-03-2006, 10:13 AM   #2
Cristy
Instepping Out

What an awesome story...I'm no longer a classroom teacher but b/c I do miss working with the kids I work our remediation program at one of our elementary schools every Thursday afternoon (it's basically tutoring for kids who are behind)...while they are having snack--I always knit. Several of the kids are begging me to teach them to knit...they are fourth graders and I've been searching for a way to get it started...the physical education teacher has been teaching a few students to crochet.

Cristy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 10:32 AM   #3
njknitter
Knitting the Flap

Very cool story! Below are a couple of links to other stories abouting knitting and education with a blurb from each article beneath the link. I think I missed the day in school where the term "bodily-kinesthetic" :thinking: was explained, but it sure sounds important!
Lynn

http://www.education-world.com/a_cur...ofdev100.shtml

"Knitting works well because it is portable and cheap," Symonds explained. She suggests that it also brings together many parts of the multiple intelligences approach -- mathematical-logical intelligence, visual-spatial, bodily-kinesthetic, interpersonal, and naturalist.

http://www.worldknit.com/celebrityknitters.html

Knitting is also stimulating and beneficial for students. At private Waldorf Schools throughout the United States, instructors teach knitting to their first-grade students as part of the curriculum. School administrators state that knitting teaches mathematics, concentration and improves dexterity. Many educators have also found that students are more receptive to all types of learning after knitting for a period of time.
5 baby blankets; 2 afghans; 1 large afghan for large brother-in-law; 4 scarves; 4 toddler sweaters; 6 simple teddy bears; This teddy bear and 4 others from the book; 1 monkey; 1 tank top/cardigan set; 1 cape; 1 shrug; 1 pair mittens; 2 pairs socks; 2 pairs felted clogs; 1 hat; lace edged tank, Vitadini Lace Yoked Top

Currently working on: scarf for sis
njknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 11:30 AM   #4
cozy
Knitting the Flap

I love stories like this.

After I taught my 8 year-old dd to knit last year, she taught a few of her classmates! So now there's a group of about 10 girls in the 4th grade who bring their knitting to school to work on during quiet time. :D

Knitting Addict since November '03
cozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 02:22 PM   #5
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
That is just wonderful! I wish more schools would do that!

I am trying to teach my 10yr old niece and she's picking it up quickly. Only problem is I don't see her too often. :rollseyes:

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 03:57 PM   #6
Cristy
Instepping Out

bodily-kinesthetic just means that the learner learns best by being able to move and use their body as part of their learning. It's from Howard Gardner's Theory of Multiple Intelligences--wrote a mini thesis on it as my senior seminar project as an undergrad. Makes a whole lotta sense...

Thanks for the links to the other articles--My sis played w/ Waldorf education for her dd and they did the knitting--she moved over to home schooling and kept it up. She's 9 now and knows the basics. I can't wait to teach my dd how to knit...

I'm so sad b/c starting a knitting group for elem kiddos is a great idea but for me, there are two problems: 1) I'm taking over secondary edu. supervision (for my program) next year so I'll no longer be in an elementary school AND I work in a school system that is very middle-class/poverty-like and most of the kids can't stay for after school activities unless transportation is provided. As a school system employee, I can't transport students in my personal vehicle and the county (of course) wouldn't provide transportation for a "leisure" activity.

Cristy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 10:23 PM   #7
Ellen Edwards
Working the Gusset

I know this sounds silly. I have a young friend who wants to learn to knit--she's in the 4th grde now, and she's quite bright. She sees me knit and wants to learn. I'm NOT a natural teacher, myself, but I'd love to be!!! Are there any good sites that teach one how to teach??? :thinking:

OTN--Just socks right now. Not good at more than 1 thing at a time!
Ellen Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote