Old 03-03-2006, 01:14 PM   #1
hedgehog
Knitting the Flap

Location: mind, heart and body in Oxford, England... and i follow The 'Grid on tour...
KellyK - yoohoo!!
Kelly-Love, (as the Brits would say)

I have a little question for you given your expertise in the matter.

My mum is the Den Leader for my nephew's Cub Scout Troop. Sometimes they do charitable work and outreachy type stuff.

I was wondering if a good charitable project for them would be to dye wool (a la the Kool-Aid method) and then donate it to the local retirement center or nursing home for the residents who knit/crochet. I figured it gives the boys the cool, crafty element that is fun, and it's hand-dyed yarn for the recipients.

Given your work and interaction with retirees, etc., i was wondering if you thought this might be a good idea. ?? What do you think?

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Thanks!!
-hh

On Needles: Bobby from Rowan's Tadpoles and Tiddlers in KP Shine Sport on indefinite hold...
Reading: The God of Small Things by A. Roy
hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-03-2006, 01:37 PM   #2
KellyK
Sock Yarn Bliss

Send a message via Yahoo to KellyK
I think it sounds like a lovely idea. But, WE have a very active crochet group. And, even they tend to prefer Pound Of Love kind-of yarn.

I would urge you to call and speak with the Activities Director at the Community you are considering. Ask to make sure that (1) it will go to GOOD use, and (2) that they accept donations and (3) that they will have a place to store it until it is used. If they cant use it, they may be able to refer you to another facility or charity that can.

You MAY even consider asking if you can do the dying as a project WITH the residents.....have a little intergenerational thing goin on! I know our residents LOVE children. And, they will appreciate even MORE a yarn that they helped make. Ya know?

In the past, we had no "policy" regarding in-kind gifts. People would just drop things off (10 bags of yarn/National Geographic Magazines/books, etc) and although they were most certainly well-intended, some things we had no immediate use or no room for. So, we would end up using paid staff time to dispose of it. AND, the person's thoughtful donation didnt get used as they intended. We developed a policy that requires the manager to approve of such donations in person. People really appreciate that we dont want their gift to go to waste.
KellyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 04:28 PM   #3
hedgehog
Knitting the Flap

Location: mind, heart and body in Oxford, England... and i follow The 'Grid on tour...
Oooh, i knew you'd be THEEEEEE lady to ask!! Thank you for your very thoughtful response!!

I hadn't thought about making it a project to do together but you're right, i'm sure it would be a good thing.

You're a star!!

-hh

On Needles: Bobby from Rowan's Tadpoles and Tiddlers in KP Shine Sport on indefinite hold...
Old 03-03-2006, 05:09 PM   #4
Jeremy
Mod Squad

Its been almost 40 years since I was a Cubscout but we did a lot of craft stuff. Why not just teach them to knit? Boy Scouts have to learn a lot of knots (BTW actually harder than knitting) and this would be good prep. They could knit scarves for a shelter or prayer shawls or even hats.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 05:26 PM   #5
hedgehog
Knitting the Flap

Well, i've taught my nephew to knit (and i know my mom is amenable) but they live in a rural community smack in the middle of the Southern Bible Belt. This place has a real "boys must be macho" mentality that is pervasive. Example - education has very little value (50% of students don't make it through high school) but playing local football or baseball is EVERYTHING. The city council idiots voted to buy football rings for the morons who won the state highschool football championship but cut jobs at the recycling center. Championship rings for highschoolers?? Wha???!! The values are completely messed up.

So while my mom would be cool with it, i doubt the other parents would want their boys to learn "woman's work"...

Ick - i know...

-hh

Old 03-04-2006, 12:42 PM   #6
KellyK
Sock Yarn Bliss

Send a message via Yahoo to KellyK
I know whatcha mean....BUT, you MIGHT be able to find a Senior MAN at one of your retirement communities that can teach your BOYS how to knit! It wasnt always women's work, ya know! Could be a good lesson in appreciating and valuing our elders!

Good relationships with local activities directors and senior centers can be a wonderful thing for ALL parties involved!

Im glad I was able to help, Hedgey!
KellyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 02:45 PM   #7
feministmama
Instepping Out

How bout showing them that knitting is a survival skill. Ya know like they'll always need socks when marching around trudgin through the woods being men and all. So have a good pair of socks is essential for good....trudging. Or something like that, knim? Anyway, if knitting could be something useful, something that appeals to that manly man thing then maybe that mmight work. I don't know, any chance I get to shift consciousness I always go for it but that's just me. Good luck!
-That's OK, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway....
-I'm not afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens.
Reading: Barbara Kingsolver
Knitting: socks

I'm Femmy on Ravelry
feministmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 03:04 PM   #8
gardenmommy
Instepping Out

Like knitting a survival fishing net out of strips of bark pulled off trees (or knitting fishing line itself...wouldn't that be perfect...in the round!).....

I was just thinking that I could manage Survivor....if I could take knitting along! LOL

There was a dog toy in the Knitting for Dogs that is knitting rope.