Old 03-04-2006, 11:07 PM   #21
quirky
Knitting the Flap

I am glad to see that I am not the only one with varied interests.

I could post every craft I have ever dabbled in. But thats a really long list. So I decided a long time ago that my real hobby - my hobby above all others, is to just learn something new.

I love working out the bits and details. I love the challenges that come with starting from scratch. Once I have gotten to a point of competence I usually put that craft aside of a while. I eventually come back to it. But I have yet to find that one thing that really sings to me. I think working with fibers is the closest I have come yet. Perhaps I will stick with knitting long enough to master some aspects of it.

"Never EVER give up."
quirky is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-05-2006, 09:51 AM   #22
aylaanne
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to aylaanne Send a message via MSN to aylaanne Send a message via Yahoo to aylaanne
I make beaded jewelry, and I like to hand-sew stuff, usually small things, but I have a huge red velvet scarf that I completely hand-sewed during my med-surg class last semester. I also do cross stitch.

As far as non-crafty stuff, I sing (I went for a degree in musical theater before switching to nursing), I read, and I live on the internet. I worked in tech support to put myself through nursing school (almost done!)

Here's the headpiece for my wedding in July. I made it myself in December of '04.

My cat swallowed a sewing needle while I was making that, ruining my inexpensive solution to a veil since I had to spend almost $800 to get it out of her. I'm also obsessed with my cat. And my wedding.

In the queue:
Jack Skellington baby afghan
Finished: Warm Up America Square, Basketweave Baby Blanket (now to ship it), Massachusetts Dishcloth for the Yarn Harlot, Homeless Hat
, water bottle cozy

aylaanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 10:02 AM   #23
RachelJean
Knitting the Flap

Wow, I love the headpiece - very pretty. Looks like it took a long time to make.

On the crafty side, in addition to knitting I also like crochet, needlepoint, embroidery, counted cross-stitch and sewing. I tried quilting but didn't like it very much. I am planning to try scrapbooking one of these days. I'd really like to find a craft that my 12 and 10 year old DD's can do by themselves ... they know how to knit but aren't really into it yet.

On the non-crafty side, I like to bake and garden.
RachelJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 10:06 AM   #24
aylaanne
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to aylaanne Send a message via MSN to aylaanne Send a message via Yahoo to aylaanne
Originally Posted by RachelJean
Wow, I love the headpiece - very pretty. Looks like it took a long time to make.
It took about a month total time, including design. Actual beading time was probably around 32 hours or so. There's no pattern to the beads, which helps. I just threw a bunch of beads that I thought looked good together into a box and scooped them out with the needle in random patterns. I'm really proud of it. I'll post pictures in July after the wedding. :D Thanks!

In the queue:
Jack Skellington baby afghan
Finished: Warm Up America Square, Basketweave Baby Blanket (now to ship it), Massachusetts Dishcloth for the Yarn Harlot, Homeless Hat
, water bottle cozy

aylaanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 02:10 PM   #25
fancy_polar01
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via AIM to fancy_polar01 Send a message via MSN to fancy_polar01 Send a message via Yahoo to fancy_polar01
aylaanne- Love the headpiece! Very creative.

AKchick - How long have you been horseback riding? I love riding, but can't do it as much since I was in my car accident last October which messed up my back pretty bad. Which is one of the reasons why I had to give me horse up.
fancy_polar01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 04:05 PM   #26
fancy_polar01
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via AIM to fancy_polar01 Send a message via MSN to fancy_polar01 Send a message via Yahoo to fancy_polar01
OT off this subject, but I'm so excited that I had to share! My mom came home with a baby parakeet! Now we have 4 birds and counting. So far, we have a Sun Conure, a Blue and Gold Macaw, a Parakeet, and a Double Yellow-headed Amazon Parrot.
fancy_polar01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 05:48 PM   #27
Mel wants to Knit
Casting On

Well I'm a crocheter and I'm just barely learning to knit. I also scrapbook when the mood strikes me and stamp (making cards mostly).

And as someone mentioned before I think Parenting is a craft.

Melanie
Mel wants to Knit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 06:00 PM   #28
benniesma
Turning the Heel

Send a message via MSN to benniesma
My family tells me that I'm a craft junkie. I just love to make things! My mom refuses to take me to any type of craft festival, cause I walk through the booths and won't buy anything, saying "I could make that." :rollseyes:

I quilt & sew, cross stitch, make stained glass, scrapbook, and rubber stamp (mostly cards). Oh, and knit! I have a hard time splitting my time between my knitting and stamping. I am a demonstrator for a rubber stamp company, so when business is good I really have to put knitting aside and work with my stamps. (Which is really what I should be doing now, since I have a stamp class this week!)
Old 03-05-2006, 07:13 PM   #29
Celine
Turning the Heel

I also like...
I also enjoy doing quilting, scrapbooking, cardmaking, decorating, some crochet, reading and watching old movies!!
Celine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 08:04 PM   #30
BinkyKat
Instepping Out

:thinking:
I'd say the knitting has become my primary hobby. I started acquiring scrapbooking supplies and such 3 1/2 years ago when my dad passed and I became the keeper of the family photos. Shortly thereafter I got into beading. Like knitting, I was immediately fascinated with the ability to make my own accessories if I wanted. Then almost 2 years ago came my latest attempt to teach myself to knit. This came at a time when the knitting world exploded and I have been into it mostly ever since! :XX:

One of my work pals quilts and wants to get her hooks on me with that too! Yikes! More fiber related stash acquisition opportunities!