Old 03-04-2006, 06:03 PM   #1
hedgewick
1st Leg of the Journey

need reasonable $ natural fiber yarn for baby project...help
One of my best friends is expecting a baby in the fall and I would like to knit a blanket for the little guy/girl. My friend is pretty picky about her own clothing as far as not using polyester or other "un-natural" fibers. She prefers cotton, wool and the like. I know she would feel the same about her baby. I'm on a fairly tight budget so my question is can anyone recomend a nice "natural" yarn for a baby that won't kill my wallet? I don't have a yarn store near me except a Joanne's but would order online if necessary. Would love it if it was machine wash/dry as well but that may be too picky. Not that big of a deal if it is great yarn. I'm a new knitter and don't know a lot about yarn yet. Any ideas would be great! Thanks! :XX:
hedgewick is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-04-2006, 06:15 PM   #2
countingsheep
Working the Gusset

maybe I can beat Ingrid on this one! :thinking: Maybe I'll even make a good suggestion!

At Joanne's they carry the Lion Brand Kitchen Cotton - it's 100% cotton and knits up nicely. Somewhere on here I posted a photo of an afghan that I did with double strands in the natural color. I got the big spools for $10 each - used 4 spools, double strand on size 11 needles and made a 5x6 afghan doing it in squares. They did have some pastel colors if I remember correctly. This might be worth considering AND it's washable!

Good luck! Ang
countingsheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 06:20 PM   #3
countingsheep
Working the Gusset

I found where I put that photo. The subject on General Knitting was "my dumbest question yet re: cotton yarn" and I posted a photo of the throw - you could do a search if you want to see the pic. You don't have to do double strands - for a baby blanket, might not want it that heavy anyway. This thing washes up so well and it was affordable.

Hope that it helps. Ang
Old 03-04-2006, 06:25 PM   #4
Jaxhil
Working the Gusset

Cotton blankies are soo nice! I haven't tried it, but I've heard Bernat Cotton Tots knits up and washes up a lot softer than the kitchen yarns available. Since it's made for babies it comes in pretty colors for little ones too.

I know my sugar and cream and peaches and cream aren't reall soft after washing, so it's something to consider since this will be for a baby.

Good luck!
Old 03-04-2006, 06:27 PM   #5
countingsheep
Working the Gusset

Hilary.... we beat Ingrid!

You don't think she's sick, do you?

Ang
Old 03-04-2006, 06:35 PM   #6
hedgewick
1st Leg of the Journey

countingsheep, LOVE the throw you made. I found the post and it is very nice. I think it is a little advanced for me but I'll have to look into these yarns you two mentioned. Thanks! Any other ideas? :XX:
Old 03-04-2006, 07:54 PM   #7
Julie
Instepping Out

Knitpicks Shine is really affordable and sooooo soft. It's machine washable and they just added new colors too that are so pretty! I've made several baby items with it.
Old 03-04-2006, 08:40 PM   #8
hedgewick
1st Leg of the Journey

the knitpicks yarn looked nice too. I like shine as well as crayon. It's pretty cheap too so maybe I'll try it out. Does anyone know if knitpicks yarn is available in stores or online only?
Old 03-04-2006, 08:45 PM   #9
Julie
Instepping Out

It's only available online. And if you click through the link here at the forums, it helps support KH. :D
Old 03-04-2006, 09:08 PM   #10
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
Personally I wouldn't use the kitchen cotton like Lion Brand or Sugar and Cream. Even washed they are just not that soft. They work great for dishcloths though. I've used Bernat's Cottontots and it was pretty soft and I'm sure KP shine is soft and is a great price!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote