Old 03-05-2006, 07:33 PM   #1
jamurray
Casting On

Pattern from England
Hi,

I am currently working on a child-sized cable knit sweater, and the pattern is from England. I have two questions...

1.) The cable panel is 12 rows long. This panel is presented separately from the rest of the pattern. For example, on row 3 of the pattern it may tell me to K2, P2, work row 3 from "cable panel," K2, P2. However, the pattern to be repeated throughout the sweater is only 6 rows long (the panel is 12) This may be a stupid question, but on the second time through the pattern, should I work rows 7-12 of the cable panel? At the end of row 6, it says, "These 6 rows set the position of the cable panel and forms the 4-st cable pattern. keeping cable panel and 4-st cable pattern correct, continue in pattern until piece measures 28 cm, ending with a WS row." When do I work rows 7-12 of the cable panel?!

2.) To shape the neck, the pattern says, "Pattern 25, turn and leave reamaining 51 stitches on a spare needle." What does it mean to "pattern?" Do I continue to follow the sweater pattern for that row and just work the first 25 stitches?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated! I'm feeling quite confused. Thank you!

Julie
New Hampshire
jamurray is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-05-2006, 08:19 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,244 Times in 1,838 Posts
When I have a pattern that has different panels, I usually make myself a chart like this and cross things out as I go, until I get used to the pattern.

1 1
2 2
3 3
4 4
5 5
6 6
1 7
2 8
3 9
4 10
5 11
6 12

I put a circle around the row were I have to remember to cable.

When they say to work the four stitches of the cable, it just means that you're to keep working those for stitches according to the chart, 1-12.
So basically you're going to work one section 1-6 and the cable pattern 1-12.

When it says to pattern 25, it means just to work those 25 stitches. You're going to be working one shoulder at a time, so the other stitches should be put on a spare needle or a piece of yarn threaded through the stitches until you're called upon to work the other shoulder.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 08:33 PM   #3
jamurray
Casting On

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I will make that chart right now...

You made my day.

:D :D :D

Julie
jamurray is offline   Reply With Quote