Old 03-07-2006, 10:15 AM   #21
quirky
Knitting the Flap

Quote:
I know what you mean, though; in some cases, it's like giving secrets to the enemy!
:rofling:

"Never EVER give up."
quirky is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-07-2006, 10:22 AM   #22
KellyK
Sock Yarn Bliss

Send a message via Yahoo to KellyK
I wouldnt mind if DH wanted to knit....he is AWESOME at sale stalking!
KellyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 10:27 AM   #23
cheesiesmom
Turning the Heel

Years ago my DH asked me to teach him to knit after watching me work on a nordic sweater. I gave him some scrap yarn and a pair of needles and showed him the basics. His stitches were PERFECT!!! Perfect gauge and tension. I was really bummed because his knitting looked far and away better than mine. Fortunately for me, he just wanted to try it and wasn't interested in continuing. My mother always said that men were better at such things. But then she was an old-school pre-liberation woman. I didn't knit again for a long time after than. Very disheartening.

Gladys in Michigan where Spring is only 2 weeks away!! Yea!!
cheesiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 10:58 AM   #24
nicolethegeek
Instepping Out

My DH hasn't shown any interest in learning to knit... my three year old son *thinks* he can knit though! My DH grew up in a family of crocheters, so a hook is less foreign to him. In fact, when I was giving group crochet lessons {to the oldest 5 kids :D }, he grabbed a hook and was showing one of our sons how to do a chain.

As for the expenses involved in a hobby... my DHs only complaint is UFOs. If yarn is sitting there and hasn't told me yet what it wants to be, that's fine. But once it's started, he gets annoyed if I don't finish it in a timely manner. He has been with me shopping many times. He didn't even blink at the nearly $40 bill at Ram's when we went to get his sock yarn {3 hanks of wool and one set of good bamboo dpns}. He's the one that went and got my Denise's, and he knows how much money they will save me in the long run... if anything, he's kicking himself for not getting them for me when he first spotted them! He knows I have thousands of dollars invested in my various hobbies, but doesn't say a word. He's afraid that I'll bring up how much his golfing costs, his leatherwork supplies {untouched for 2 years}, his cross-stitch and latch hook {untouched for 3 years}.

Nicole's Crochet Bistro
NCB/The Purl in the Oyster {patterns & stitch markers}
The Purl in the Oyster {my blog}

Year of the Sweater KAL: Pinwheel Top {Skacel Yarn Ad Sweater} in two strands of Sirdar Denim Chunky {just needs seaming}
Current UFO Extermination Project: Homespun sweater coat {frogged and being reknit}
nicolethegeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 11:23 AM   #25
quirky
Knitting the Flap

Quote:
I'm with you Angela. Knitting in MINE!! I encourage him to continue to think that he doesn't have the patience for it.
Omg you do have a way with words Ingrid!

"Never EVER give up."
quirky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 12:21 PM   #26
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

LOL! Hildie, that's awesome, I hope you teach him!

I taught Sheldon to knit Continental, by using my left hand and his right hand to knit together. It was cool, at first I did much of the motion with my left hand, and after several stitches I finally just kept my hand still so Sheldon was doing all the maneuvering himself. It was fun to knit together so literally! :D He picked it right up, and when I showed him how to hold the yarn in his left hand, he knew just what to do! But he just wanted to see if he could do it, and hasn't touched the needles since.

It's funny, a part of me was excited, and a part of me was like: gosh, I hope he doesn't get so into it that he becomes a better knitter than me!

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 05:00 PM   #27
sfavereau
Knitting the Flap

My DH has tried to learn to knit several times over his lifetime, but I guess he doesn't have the patience... LOL He can crochet, but knitting seems to just get him all tangled up. His mom and aunts all used to knit continental style (they are French) and I knit English style, so I tried teaching him continental and had him watch the Amy's videos, but it didn't work very well, so he does 3d graphic stuff that I can't do and I knit.

My blog
sfavereau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 09:07 PM   #28
Indygirl

Originally Posted by countingsheep
Ok, you guys know that I love you all. I really do but... HAVE YOU ALL LOST YOUR MINDS?!?!?

If my DH knew more about knitting then he'd know more about what is required to knit. He'd find out how much my Addi's cost and might frown on the purchase of more. He'd find out how much all that lovely yarn costs and take issue with all those sad balls waiting to be used. :crying: He might even... want to come hang out here to "learn more"!

I'm sorry but... NO WAY! He can play with his lathe to his hearts content but he needs to stay out of the yarn! I swear, I do not want to log on one day and find my DH posting notes to you guys!

Good luck and keep us posted but I, personally, think that you are all insane!

Angela
Old 03-07-2006, 09:19 PM   #29
Hildegard_von_Knittin
2nd Sock, I Rock

well, he's all excited about it :-) I'm thinking a hat would be a good project, once he has the knit and purl down.
Old 03-07-2006, 11:04 PM   #30
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
Originally Posted by countingsheep
:If my DH knew more about knitting then he'd know more about what is required to knit. He'd find out how much my Addi's cost and might frown on the purchase of more. He'd find out how much all that lovely yarn costs and take issue with all those sad balls waiting to be used. :crying: He might even... want to come hang out here to "learn more"!Angela

:rofling: I agree plus if he continued to want to knit it would cut into my own yarn budget...good thing I don't have to worry about that...

I did show my brother back this fall.. My SiL came up with my mom and attended the knit fling with us.. She learned to knit that weekend so when she went home she told Ray how hard it was... he was like oh its not that hard.. so he looked at me and said got extra yarn? needles? I went and got some.. he said will you show me? I said sure.. but I don't knit like she does I use my left hand.. My mom stepped in and said you better learn to throw I think its easier well that made my brother really want to learn "sissy's way" so I showed him.. in one evening he was knitting and purling the cont. method.. no extra sts or yo... she had been knitting for about a week at this time still getting yos and extra sts so she was not happy at all... a few days letter after I was back up here mom called and said the sil was hot.. cause she couldnt remeber how to CO and my brother had to co for her :rofling: he hasn't knitted since and prolly won't ...to him it was I'll show ya I can type of thing...

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote