Old 03-10-2006, 10:05 AM   #1
projectgal
1st Leg of the Journey

Help me choose yarn for my first BIG project!
I've been watching the board for the last few weeks, but this is my first post. May I say what a nice, ethusiastic group of people you are! And Amy, if it wasn't for your videos, I may have given up knitting entirely!! I took a beginning class at a LYS, but once I got home, I forgot everything! It was so nice to have your videos as a source.

Now for the big question. I have two projects for which I need to order yarn. The first is a felted project and I found some great yarn on KnitPicks. The second project is a baby blanket for a friend. I've chosen a blanket in the Boye Taught Myself Knitting book. It has a garter stich edge and checkerboard pattern with knit and purl blocks. It calls for two strands of a worsted weight yarn. Any recommendations? I think I would prefer cotton because babies can be messy and I want mom to be able to machine wash. I thought about the shine worsted, but I'm not familiar with Modal. Does it pill?

I would prefer to order from Knit Picks, but if you have any other reasonably priced ideas, I have an open mind! Thanks!
projectgal is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-10-2006, 10:17 AM   #2
kemp
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via ICQ to kemp Send a message via AIM to kemp Send a message via Yahoo to kemp
I think knit picks crayon would be great for a baby blanket. It is only DK wt, but since it's a blanket, you don't have to be as exact about the gauge. Plus you could always add a few sts if needed. Not sure about the Shine, I know a lot of people here like it so maybe someone else will comment.

A lot of people use acrylic for afghans and blankets since it's washable and inexpensive.
kemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 10:56 AM   #3
njknitter
Knitting the Flap

Welcome to the forum!

I really like Wendy Velvet Touch because it is super soft and easy to care for.

Probably not the lowest cost option out there ($8.50 MSRP), but I've seen it for a bit less on other sites (www.woolneedlework.com has it for $6.19).

Whatever you choose, I'm sure the blanket will be fabulous and SOOOO appreciated by the recipient!! Good luck!

Lynn
5 baby blankets; 2 afghans; 1 large afghan for large brother-in-law; 4 scarves; 4 toddler sweaters; 6 simple teddy bears; This teddy bear and 4 others from the book; 1 monkey; 1 tank top/cardigan set; 1 cape; 1 shrug; 1 pair mittens; 2 pairs socks; 2 pairs felted clogs; 1 hat; lace edged tank, Vitadini Lace Yoked Top

Currently working on: scarf for sis
njknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 10:58 AM   #4
sara_jayne
2nd Sock, I Rock

I am currently working on a baby blanket too and I opted to use Bernat Cotton Tots. It is a nice soft cotton and it appears to be a worsted weight. I got it at my local Hobby Lobby store, but Bernat is a national company so I'm sure you'd be able to find it some where!
sara_jayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 11:04 AM   #5
kitkat
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to kitkat
If I were to do another baby blanket, I would use Caron Simply Soft. Its acrylic, so washable, and it works up nicely and is super soft. Also the price is right!

http://knittykittyworld.blogspot.com/
Ravelry - I am Suegene
OTN : Dream in Color Smooshy Monkeys, Block a month afghan (on block 11)
kitkat is offline   Reply With Quote