Old 03-16-2006, 04:43 PM   #11
koolbreeze
Working the Gusset

Send a message via Yahoo to koolbreeze
isn't Frida her cat?

Some people are alive only because it's illegal to kill them.
Stupidity is not a handicap. Park elsewhere!
They call it PMS because MadCow Disease was already taken.
koolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-16-2006, 04:47 PM   #12
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

Ohhh, is that it? Thanks Koolbreeze!

BTW, Shrodinger: my dad had a cat named Shrodinger. There's an inside joke there, for physics folks, right? Something to do with Shrodinger the physicist, and cats?

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 06:14 PM   #13
quirky
Knitting the Flap

"Cat" was the nickname for Schrodingers Theory.
Check out this site http://www.phobe.com/s_cat/s_cat.html

"Never EVER give up."
quirky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 01:02 AM   #14
schrodinger
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to schrodinger Send a message via Yahoo to schrodinger
You found me out Amy and Quirky. That's kind of where it comes from for me. While I'm not a physicist by any means (I just follow the rules), I found the name a few years ago in a book. I loved it's connection to this cool cat, and since Cat was already a well used handle, I opted for schrodinger (it all makes sense to me).

Anyway, I really wanted to say thanks to you all for support and advice. I kept sticking at it (just about 15 mins a day) and have now started producing something I'm quite proud of, I posted a picture on my blog to give an idea. All in less than a week!

It *is* all about rhythm. Amy you hit the nail on the head with the patting your head and rubbing your belly, but since I'm pretty good at that (after practicing as a child - yes, I had no friends), I'm pleased to report that this spinning coming to me pretty well now, keeping the wheel moving is a huge part of keeping it going in the right direction. I also realized that I had the belt on a little too tight, making it very hard to start-up the wheel at times.

Wendy - sorry I was calling you Frida, I totally brain freezed, thinking about the webring and just assumed you were Frida (which is a very cool name btw).

My next step will be working on 'blocking' my twisty stuff (FINALLY a use for that crockpot gift) and then, gulp, plying. Okay, that's enough from me, got some fish to 'fry'

CAThy - AKA Schrodinger.
schrodinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 09:32 AM   #15
quirky
Knitting the Flap

Quote:
and have now started producing something I'm quite proud of

Thats great! I am a little envious. I put my wheel on layaway though :D.
One day I too shall be a little "twisted"

"Never EVER give up."
quirky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 11:09 AM   #16
Joyce Loyet
Casting On

My first post so I don't know yet how all this works. I've been spinning for about 17 years and you are all right. It is difficult to get the wheel going the right way when you begin. It does come easier. Some wheels are more prone to this than others just by the way they are made. I use Majicraft mostly and they start and stop where you want them (usually) I also have a Reeves and a Country Craftman and that type goes backward much more.

My biggest problem, and I bet you all know what it's like, is that I love to knit. Then when I am knitting I am thinking about spinning so I want to spin but then I'm thinking about knitting. Well, you get the idea. I never (well, almost never) get anything done because I always jump to something else.

I attended a fiber fest a couple weeks ago and I could take a trip on what I spent on fiber. At home I had to get started on the prettest. I stopped what I was spinning on and started one I had just bought. One bobbin later I started another color, and on and on. Why do I do this. I think I'm too old for PMS. Some days I should just hang myself but I don't have enough yarn finished to use for that.
Joyce Loyet is offline   Reply With Quote