Old 03-11-2006, 11:37 PM   #1
debb
Knitting the Flap

unknit?
Hi, I've been lurking for some time and really love this site. It's helped me so much (not that I need much help spending $$$, but good to know I'm not alone there) Anyway, I can usually unknit to my mistake, but I'm having trouble when I encounter a yo. I've just lost half my work on a cap. (I also think I messed up on the k2tog unknit)

Any tips on what to do next time I knit back with a yo in pattern?

thanks, deb
debb is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-11-2006, 11:44 PM   #2
ekgheiy
Instepping Out

Send a message via ICQ to ekgheiy Send a message via AIM to ekgheiy Send a message via MSN to ekgheiy Send a message via Yahoo to ekgheiy
When I get to the stitch that's the yo, I just drop that st. There's no need to "unknit" it. You could also do the yo movement backward to get rid of it. Does that make sense?

ekgheiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 11:46 PM   #3
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
Welcome!

It's difficult to fix mistakes in a lacy pattern. That's why it's recommended that you periodically put in a lifeline. When you're at a point where you know your pattern is absolutely correct, run a piece of contrasting, thin yarn--some people use dental floss or embroidery thread--through all the stitches. Just thread a tapestry needle and slip it through the stitches as they're on the needle and knit as normal. The line will stay in there. If you make a mistake, you can rip out to the lifeline and know that you've got all your stitches on there. You just need to put them back on the needle.

Some people put in a lifeline after every pattern repeat, just to be sure. You can just slide the old one out when you don't need it anymore.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote