Old 03-12-2006, 04:27 PM   #1
KristiMetz
Knitting the Flap

What to knit for my bedridden father in law?
My father in law, who lives near us, has recently become bedridden. he has been in a wheelchair for a while so this isn't a huge surprise. He is morbidly obese and has been slowly declining in terms of physical capabilities for a while.

I'd like to knit him something nice but am not sure what. I can't knit him a pair of socks because he doesn't wear normal sizes (and I just don't think I have the ability to measure him and figure out how to do it and such).

An afghan or something like that would be nice, but honestly I would be surprised if he lived long enough to see it, especially since my knitting time is limited.

Any suggestions for a quick gift that he might enjoy? I can't seem to come up with anything that would he could use. What kind of gift could a bedridden individual use?

I would appreciate any suggestions!
KristiMetz is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-12-2006, 04:40 PM   #2
BinkyKat
Instepping Out

How about some manly styled wrist warmers or a scarf? It sounds kinda different or trite, but my thought is that he would have something soft, and handmade with love to see and touch and help him thing nice thoughts of the person that made it. My dad (who passed 3 1/2 yrs ago) was sick in the hospital for 7 months before he died. I wish I had been knitting then. He was bedridden but I know he would have loved anything I made for him. In fact, we had so many days of visiting that I can see myself sitting there making something for him. You could do an afghan but knit it while you visit, if that's feasible. I bet he would enjoy the time and seeing what you're doing, even if (God forbid) you don't get it finished, it would be a lovely memory.
Just my 86 cents... Hope it helps!
Old 03-12-2006, 05:21 PM   #3
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
Our hospital gives out heart-shaped pillows. Something soft to hug?

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 05:32 PM   #4
Sara
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via AIM to Sara
If he has reduced circulation, he might appreciate a pair of mittens knit without the ribbing.
Old 03-12-2006, 05:54 PM   #5
Jeremy
Mod Squad

If its up his alley a prayer shawl might be nice. It would convey your thoughts for him and probably would'nt take that long to knit if you weren't too elaborate (ie big yarn, narrow width). Take a look at http://www.shawlministry.com/ Good luck. I'm sure that whatever you make will be appreciated.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 06:00 PM   #6
Knittens
Ribbing the Cuff

You could try a small-ish lap-gan made of simple mitered squares. Each square (about 6 inches on each side) takes me about 50 -60 minutes to knit up. Then you'd just have to seam them all together, and voila! Lap-gan.

Hope I helped.
Old 03-12-2006, 06:40 PM   #7
KristiMetz
Knitting the Flap

Wonderful ideas!!! Thanks so much. I am going to look at some of the links and ponder and decide what to make. Thanks again!!
KristiMetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 07:03 PM   #8
hedgehog
Knitting the Flap

Location: mind, heart and body in Oxford, England... and i follow The 'Grid on tour...
Hmm... If he's bedridden, why not knit him something like a backgammon or checker board?? I know that Melanie Falick's Weekend Knitting book has patterns for them.

Here's a pic of one

Or Knitty.com has a pattern for a felted Mancala game

Maybe something to help him fill his time?

-hh

On Needles: Bobby from Rowan's Tadpoles and Tiddlers in KP Shine Sport on indefinite hold...
Reading: The God of Small Things by A. Roy
hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 08:13 AM   #9
Debbie
Working the Gusset

My grandmother is in the same situation .... and I have been trying to think of something to knit for her ... the heart pillow is a GREAT idea. I made one for my granddaughter but never even thought about one for my grandma ... so pretty and so easy. Thanks, Ingrid for the idea. .... How blessed am I to have a grandmother (95) and a granddaughter (6) ???

http://frugalknit12330.goeserv.com/homepage/pillow.htm

ALSO .... I am sooooooooo going to make the Mancala game for a WEDDING PRESENT !!!!!! maybe with a wine bottle cozy to match???

I am DebbieKnits on Ravelery
Debbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 09:19 AM   #10
MrsBear87
1st Leg of the Journey

Bedridden
My husband, who is quadriplegic and has been bedridden for several years, often gets cold. Folks in bed for a long time get poor circulation, and often are chilled when the rest of us are comfortable.

So, bed socks or slippers are a good idea, as well as hats. Maybe a felted pattern for the slippers, but just don't felt them, if his feet are swollen. A soft cotton cap is good for bad hair days as well as comfort. Even a simple neckwarmer in cotton might be appreciated.

Krishnamurti

http://www.mrsbearswoods.blogspot.com
http://www.bearwoodsknitting.com
MrsBear87 is offline   Reply With Quote