Old 03-14-2006, 02:27 PM   #11
hedgehog
Knitting the Flap

Location: mind, heart and body in Oxford, England... and i follow The 'Grid on tour...
There is a whole discussion here about how to get around taking scissors on a plane.

One of the best ideas i saw was to take one of those letter openers that has a protected blade (picture on link above).

I just flew across the US with a needle set from my Boye interchangables in my carry-on and they didn't say a word. And i was flying in and out of LAX which is pretty high security.

-hh

On Needles: Bobby from Rowan's Tadpoles and Tiddlers in KP Shine Sport on indefinite hold...
Reading: The God of Small Things by A. Roy
hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-14-2006, 02:44 PM   #12
LeslieA
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to LeslieA Send a message via MSN to LeslieA Send a message via Yahoo to LeslieA
I also just flew and I took my needles that I wanted to use and I also took circs just in case. I was not bothered at all and everything went through just fine. I took united if that helps.
LeslieA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 03:23 PM   #13
projectgal
1st Leg of the Journey

"Official" statement from TSA
Funny you should ask... I've been researching the same topic for my trip to Hong Kong. I just DON'T want to mess with the Chinese government.

This is a link to TSA's information, which will cover the domestic security. From what I can gather, bamboo would probably be best. Bring your best manners because the screeners have the ultimate say in the decision, but I think their focus is on bigger issues than knitting needles at this point.

Going through customs and security on the way back, I'll go ahead and run a tapestry needle (plastic, of course) and yarn through any work in progress so that if they won't let my needles through, I'm not losing my work.

http://www.tsa.gov/public/interapp/e...orial_1252.xml

Have a great trip!
projectgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 06:06 PM   #14
JENinIA
Ribbing the Cuff

I have a friend who flew to Mexico a month or so ago. She had no problems taking her needles on the plane going there--- but coming home they wouldn't allow her to have them.
JENinIA is offline   Reply With Quote