Old 03-17-2006, 06:01 PM   #21
Friskums

Have you used KnitPicks Sierra? Starsky uses Sierra, but I'd like to use Plymouth Encore. Unless Sierra feels nice too. AAhhhh... too many yarns. :drooling:

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-17-2006, 06:06 PM   #22
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
Originally Posted by frisky_kittie
Have you used KnitPicks Sierra? Starsky uses Sierra, but I'd like to use Plymouth Encore. Unless Sierra feels nice too. AAhhhh... too many yarns. :drooling:
Sorry! I haven't used Sierra. I wouldn't hesitate for a moment to use Encore for it. Probably would be my first choice in an non-wool. I made two Fair Isle sweaters with the dk. I wash and dry them all the time and they look good as new. The childrens' sweaters I've made were mostly Encore, as well. They get thrown in the wash every time they're worn.

You'd have to go with the Encore Bulky, though, for the Starsky.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 06:15 PM   #23
Friskums

Yeah, I was looking at the sts/inch earlier.

Mmmm.... Looks like I'm ordering more yarn tonight.
Old 03-17-2006, 06:25 PM   #24
Cristy
Instepping Out

Originally, I thought I liked bamboo and used clover needles but after my gauge balanced out and I got the feel of things, I decided that I much preferred metal. I'm a recent addi convert although the price is killing me (especially since every time I start a new project I MUST have a new pair now...)! As far as yarn goes I think I go through phases...when I started out I though that Wool-Ease thick n quick was the greatest stuff on the planet..then it changed to wool-ease worsted. After that I decided Noro was the coolest stuff ever b/c of the colors...then I was on to microfiber yarns like microspun...lately I've been doing a lot of plain 'ole acrylic squares for warm up america...I adore cotton tots but I've been knitting lots of baby things and I've decided that I love Plymouth Yarn's Dreambaby D.K (50/50 acrylic microfiber and nylon). I salivate over the feel of baby alpaca and I really want to use some for something but I think I'm waiting around for that very special project....Oh...and I like Berroco's yarns for their variety and novelty. .....

Geeze... I bet you wish you didn't ask! LOL!

Cristy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 07:23 PM   #25
KNITBIT
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by Ingrid
Sorry! I haven't used Sierra. I wouldn't hesitate for a moment to use Encore for it. Probably would be my first choice in an non-wool. I made two Fair Isle sweaters with the dk. I wash and dry them all the time and they look good as new. The childrens' sweaters I've made were mostly Encore, as well. They get thrown in the wash every time they're worn.

You'd have to go with the Encore Bulky, though, for the Starsky.

Ingrid,

So Encore Chunky, or Encore Chunky Colorspun would work for Starsky? I love the pattern...but don't like the fact that Sierra is hand-wash. That is the reason I've shyed away from doing Starsky. I don't want to have to hand wash it...ugh.. :rollseyes: I don't have time for that! LOL!! :rofling:

Ugh... Like I need to inquire about yarn for another project...when I just started a new project (an afghan) 2 days ago,...not to mention some socks I have going as well. I "always" stick to 1 project at a time. Then went out of my 1 project mode...and decided ok...I'm going to start a challenging project (the afghan)..and have my easy project..socks. Now here I am :thinking: about the "Starsky".
ACKKK!

Btw, I'm using Encore Worsted for my afghan....Never used Encore before...I LOVE IT!! So nice, and SMUSHY! I likey!! Very nice to work with! (Is smuSHHHy a word..?!? Hmm.. Heehee!! And the main thing: it's WASHABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well at least I can plan to do the Starsky in the future...(possibly near future..) LOL! Add it to my list..

Thanks!
KNITBIT :XX:

OTN: Socks, Afghan
Swatch+ KIP++ Blog SNB++ EZ?>+ FO 24 WIP 1 Gauge W+ B+ Al-
KNITBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 07:25 PM   #26
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
KNITBIT--I checked out the gauge on both, and it's very close--close enough to substitute--and adjustable if necessary with a needle change.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 07:36 PM   #27
Friskums

That's a perfect word for the Encore.. smuuuuushy. I was trying to come up with a good word for it, but you have managed where I failed.

Yes, encore is nice and smuuuuuuuuuuushy. ^_^
Old 03-17-2006, 07:57 PM   #28
KNITBIT
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by Ingrid
KNITBIT--I checked out the gauge on both, and it's very close--close enough to substitute--and adjustable if necessary with a needle change.
Hmm... :thinking: Ut oh...."I have to pretend I didn't hear that it would work.." LOL!!...Umm...so I'd just knit the gauge that the Starsky pattern says:

GAUGE
16 sts/18 rows = 4 inches in stockinette stitch

And go up/down a needle depending if I get gauge correctly..?

TIA!
Old 03-17-2006, 08:09 PM   #29
KNITBIT
1st Leg of the Journey

That's a perfect word for the Encore.. smuuuuushy. I was trying to come up with a good word for it, but you have managed where I failed.

Yes, encore is nice and smuuuuuuuuuuushy. ^_^
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!! :rofling: That's the first thought that came to mind when I grabbed a hold of it for the first time last week. SMUSHY! Hmmm..this is some nice yarn...Love the softness too!!!!!!!

Ok...let me get this right...Encore=smushy. K, got it!

Old 03-17-2006, 08:15 PM   #30
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
I really like Encore DK and have made several things out of it.. I've been trying to collect enough for an Enterlac shawl out of it lol so I go buy 2 skeins the LYS knows every 2wks I'll be back for more and now have enough... since its multiple colors I didn't have to worry about the dye lot... I just knitted my son a sweater out of Bernat Softee and really liked working with that...

My favorite needles are Addis but I only have a few pairs I use my boyes interchangeables all the time unless I have what I need in the addis... I can't wait for my b-day I'm getting the denise's so really hoping the join is better

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote