Old 03-16-2006, 11:16 PM   #1
KristiMetz
Knitting the Flap

Don't have size 3 needles - can I use size 2?
This pattern calls for size 4 and 3 needles (I'm making the socks, don't plan in making the sweater, I *might* make the hat).

I can only find ONE size 3 needle...

will size 2's work? The 3's are used for the ribbing.

Any advice? If it is a big enough difference I will probably look for a different pattern.
KristiMetz is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-16-2006, 11:48 PM   #2
Sara
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via AIM to Sara
They wrote it that way so that the ribbing would be a little more snug. I think that you could easily use the twos. I don't think it will make that much difference.
Old 03-17-2006, 09:01 AM   #3
ekgheiy
Instepping Out

Send a message via ICQ to ekgheiy Send a message via AIM to ekgheiy Send a message via MSN to ekgheiy Send a message via Yahoo to ekgheiy
When in doubt, check your gauge. If using size 2 effects your guage, then I wouldn't use them. If they don't effect the gauge, go for it!

ekgheiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 09:07 AM   #4
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
If you were planning to make the smaller size, you could just make the larger size.

The socks will be smaller, but it's hard to say by how much since your own tension affects the size as well.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 12:44 PM   #5
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

You'd still be using the size 4's as asked for in the pattern for the majority of the sock, right? I don't see how using a size 2 just for the ribbing would make that much of a difference. Go for it!
Old 03-17-2006, 01:03 PM   #6
nicolethegeek
Instepping Out

Personally I would go with the larger needle throughout. I don't do sock ribbing on smaller needles anyway; just regular garments. When it comes to baby socks/booties, I've always found that you either can't get them on at all because the baby has a foot that's a completely different shape from what you've made --- or that the sock/bootie spends exactly 4.73987 seconds on the foot before the baby tugs it off to chew on or toss at the pets.

Nicole's Crochet Bistro
NCB/The Purl in the Oyster {patterns & stitch markers}
The Purl in the Oyster {my blog}

Year of the Sweater KAL: Pinwheel Top {Skacel Yarn Ad Sweater} in two strands of Sirdar Denim Chunky {just needs seaming}
Current UFO Extermination Project: Homespun sweater coat {frogged and being reknit}
nicolethegeek is offline   Reply With Quote