Old 03-19-2006, 04:30 PM   #1
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

The Process vs. The Product
I have come to a realization. I think I enjoy the process of knitting stuff more than the products themselves. The first sweater I knitted, I ripped it apart even after it was TOTALLY done, and made it into a different sweater. I never wore it so I gave it to Salvation Army. Since, I have made Sitcom Chic, it's hanging in my closet. Even the handknit socks I have made, I rarely wear. I have made scarves for myself and I'm not a scarf person so I haven't worn them. Thankfully my boys wear the toques (that's Canadian for hat, hehe ) that I made for them.

Now, I also have Picovoli hanging in my closet, but I'm truly hoping to wear it lots, it just isn't warm enough yet.

What's my problem???? I'm thinking I should just scrap knitting stuff for myself and do charity stuff instead because I LOVE knitting itself, just not the stuff I make :( . Maybe it's because I can only afford cheap yarn, I don't know.

Anyways, I guess I was just wondering if anyone else felt the same way.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-19-2006, 04:32 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
Once I finish a sweater, I like it, but not as much as making it. Once it's made it just becomes part of my clothing. I do wear them, so there's a difference there, but the process is much more to me than the product.

I have yarn that I love but hesitate to use because I'll no longer have that yarn. Silly, but true.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 04:37 PM   #3
HeatherFeather
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to HeatherFeather
I get this totally!!!

HeatherFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 06:53 PM   #4
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
I do enjoy the process a lot. That is one reason my bloggie on KH was named "My Knitting Journey" because I said it wasn't the destination (completed project), but the journey (the process).

I have recently come to the conclusion though that I'm not a fan of doing big flat things like blankets. I'd prefer to do hats, sweaters, bags, toys etc. I don't know if it's more the instant gratification or the fact that it's not nearly so boring. I think even a detailed blanket would drive me nuts though. So I guess it's both. I wear my sweater all the time though. It's so soft and snuggly!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 07:15 PM   #5
Cristy
Instepping Out

I think I love both...I love the process but then I really love my FO's--especially the delight on people's faces when they find out that I made it...

I can relate to Ingrid's yarn issue...I have a couple of skeins of yarn that I've bought that I really need/want to use but then I'd have to buy more so I'd still have some, you know?

Cristy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 07:16 PM   #6
ekgheiy
Instepping Out

Send a message via ICQ to ekgheiy Send a message via AIM to ekgheiy Send a message via MSN to ekgheiy Send a message via Yahoo to ekgheiy
I'm w/ Christy. I can't wait to see the finished product and wear it (if applicable).

ekgheiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 07:26 PM   #7
Celine
Turning the Heel

Me too!!
I first read about this in the book "The Yarn Harlot". I too enjoy the "process" even more than the finish products. I have knitted some beautiful scarves and I do love them and wear them. I used expensive yarns too. I've knit a lot of hats and scarves for others. I've knitted a few sweaters for my gd and just finished my first Entrelac felted bag for myself and I like that a lot!! But I too enjoy the "process" even more than the finished "products". :XX: :XX:

I think that's why it doesn't bother me very much if I have to rip something out to make it look even better. I'd rather rip it out and reknit it and make it look better than to continue on and know it won't look as well as it might have. I just get to "process" it again if I rip it out. lol
Celine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 07:30 PM   #8
knitncook
Working the Gusset

I think that is why I don't knit sweaters. I am so much a process person. I finish something and it just sits there. Now socks I love to wear because I love people to look at my socks and go, "OMG! Where did you get those great looking socks?" and be able to say, "Oh, these? I made them." Scarves, shawls, throws, wraps, etc etc etc all get set aside after they are done. I do like toting around my felted totes though :D

knitncook there, too!

OTN: Laughing Carrots; Jaywaler
FO: Potamus socks; Palindrome
knitncook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 07:41 PM   #9
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

Re: Me too!!
Originally Posted by Celine
I'd rather rip it out and reknit it and make it look better than to continue on and know it won't look as well as it might have. I just get to "process" it again if I rip it out. lol
I LOVE that!! (I added the bold, that's exactly how I feel!) I still have this thing though whereby I'm hoping to come by the PERFECT sweater pattern and have it come out exactly as I've imagined it would. I'm working on another one at the moment. The 'pieces' (front, back, sleeves, etc.) are coming out great individually, I'm tweeking the pattern as I go along to make sure I have the exact same # of raglan decreases on the sleeves and body, etc. (so I'm obsessive that way, not to mention this pattern has quite a few little glitches) so you'd think it would come out perfect, right?? Well on this one I'm still hoping but so far my track record has not been great.

Anyways, at least I know there are others who feel the same way I do I just wish I LOVED my FO's as much as I loved making them.

Onward and upward, right? I'll keep ya posted on my current project, maybe this is 'the one'! LOL
Old 03-19-2006, 08:15 PM   #10
Yvonne
Turning the Heel

The process, definitely! A good example of this is that I have never worn a shawl in my life, and probably won't. However, I've made lots of them and love them. Just not...........to wear. I know it's weird. Same with scarves. I'm not a scarf person whatsoever. Go figure.
I do love to make afghans; I can't even count how many of those I've made in my life. Probably close to 60. More, if you count baby blankets.
When ponchos came back I made probably 30 of them, but I haven't worn one at all. Never will. My daughters do, and we gave some to their friends too.
I don't need hats or mittens at all, but I like making them.
I wear sweaters on occasion, and have many I've made. Mostly I enjoy taking them out and looking at them, imagining how it was making them.
Odd, isn't it?

Yvonne is offline   Reply With Quote