Old 03-19-2006, 08:21 PM   #11
sfavereau
Knitting the Flap

I love both, actually...

I really love and wear the things I make. For some reason, getting real use out of something I made is really satifying to me.

My blog
sfavereau is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-20-2006, 12:24 AM   #12
kimmie
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Ingrid
Once I finish a sweater, I like it
Yeah, I would too if I could knit as beautifully as you can!

I like the process best I think. I love knitting for other people and giving stuff as gifts. The weird thing is that as much as I love knitting, I don't particularly like knitting socks and yet, those are the only thing that I love wearing that I've made. I have a couple of sweaters laying around that might be nice to wear, but I haven't seamed them. They'll probably go out of style before I get around to it...

kimmie
kimmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 01:15 AM   #13
Jeremy
Mod Squad

For some of us its not even the process, its buying the yarn. :D
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 02:33 AM   #14
Amber
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by Jeremy
For some of us its not even the process, its buying the yarn. :D

For me, I enjoy both the process and the finished product -- but, if I had to choose -- I'd say the process is more important. I can totally understand knitting things you will never wear or use, or knitting something and then ripping it out again. I certainly have knitted a few things more for the experience than the FO.

That said, it is very satisfying to be able to wear/use something I've created.

Amber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 07:06 AM   #15
cindyloowho
Ribbing the Cuff

I have found the process to be so therapeutic that I love making small objects. ( Though my pharmacy co-pay would be cheaper than yarn!)Someone else said it, that instant gratification thing. I intially thought I wouldnt be a real knitter until I did sweaters, but I dont feel that way anymore. I love dong smaller projects with new techniques. ( at this point everything is a new technique to me). I never thought I would make socks. The time and money invested in them didnt make sense to me. But I love making them.
Now I dont feel silly about my Manos stash either. I will hate to see it gone.
I just love knitting. Its a great thing to be addicted to!

Cindy :XX:
cindyloowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 08:40 AM   #16
KellyK
Sock Yarn Bliss

Send a message via Yahoo to KellyK
For me, its the WHOLE package.

I love using the things I have made, but will love it more so when I can find a sweater pattern that actually FITS me. I DO enjoy the yarn-buying VERY much ( :rollseyes: ) and I NEED the process....very theraputic, as mentioned above.
KellyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 10:08 AM   #17
AmandaC
Instepping Out

Send a message via MSN to AmandaC
Originally Posted by Ingrid
I have yarn that I love but hesitate to use because I'll no longer have that yarn. Silly, but true.
I have this too but with chocolate

I felt quite empty when I had finished Tubey and reading this thread has made me wonder if 'the process' is the reason that I am going mad buying loads of yarn - so that I always have something to do next :thinking:

However, I am looking forward to wearing Starsky and having people say 'You didn't make that!' and then I can say 'Yes I did - see these mistakes here ... they're mine!" I am wearing Tubey again today for the 3rd time, even tho I think it makes my tummy look bigger than it is - just because I MADE IT!

I also like giving the fo's away ... I have experienced the ' you made that!' and want to experience it again
Askew - Rowan Summer Tweed - Rush - well... off the needles but needs to be blocked and seamed
Monkey socks - Lisa Souza - Mars Quake

LAST FINISHED:
Anthropologie inspired capelet - mmmmMalabrigo chunky - hummingbird
Simple Knitted Bodice - Glampyre - KP Andrean Silk - Olive
Rowan - Hero Jumper - Rowan Denim
MY MASTER'S SOCK 2 - Lisa Souza - Lime & Violet

I'm toftie
AmandaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 11:55 AM   #18
jsauer
Ribbing the Cuff

I REALLY like the process ...'cause it can scare the heebie jeebies out of me and yet I know all will be well. :D

But the product is part of the process. I'm making Mr. Bumble Bee (black and yellow striped cardigan with bumblebee pockets -Knitter's winter 2004) for a friend's baby shower in two weeks - never made (check that, completed) a sweater before - but every time I finish one set of section instructions I am just AMAZED! at what I've accomplished. It's just going to be so DAYUM cute and it's going really well...I can't wait to see it finished!

So... I love both the process and the product.
jsauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 01:00 PM   #19
iza
Turning the Heel

Definitely the process for me too. I think for me it's because I am not a crafty person at all. Drawing is like torture, I hate sewing and I enjoy cooking... sometimes. But for some reason, knitting speaks to me. The idea of shaping your fabric while you make it is just fascinating! There is enough complexity in understanding a pattern or a new technique, but there is also the "zen" aspect of the repetitive movements. So as far as the finished product is concerned... I don't really care that much.

Of course the satisfaction is higher if the result looks good. But because I am not a crafty person, I do not always know if it looks good or not. :D I can not sit back and look at what I did objectively and say "this looks good". What I see is the effort, the time spent on the project, the choice of yarn I made, the mistakes and the new techniques I learned! This is why I am a bit reluctant to wear what I made, I'm afraid it might look HIDEOUS! And this is also why I hesitate to knit gifts for my friends! :rofling:
iza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 04:39 PM   #20
suziehomemaker
Turning the Heel

I completely agree. I like the process of knitting so much better than the final product. BUT I get a tremendous amount of satisfaction from finishing something. I usually knit for other people and that seems to work out best for me: enjoy knitting and finishing and then see someone enjoy wearing it!

Blog & Pictures: http://motherhenknits.blogspot.com/
suziehomemaker is offline   Reply With Quote