Old 03-20-2006, 10:25 AM   #1
nana1140
Casting On

join yarn
I'm new to knitting. i'm making a dog sweater. I'm at the leg openings. The instructions say k5 place rm st. on holder then knit those 5 stiches for 6in. which i did. It says do not cut yarn and place 5 stitches on holder which I did. thenput 40 stitches on holder on left hand needle. I
did this. Then it says join yarn at leg opening, Dont I have to cut the yarn form the 5 stiches previously to join even though it says not to cut yarn. I'm so confused. you know knitting is pretty easy ........its following the patterns thats a hoot!!
nana1140 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-20-2006, 12:18 PM   #2
nicolethegeek
Instepping Out

If I'm understanding your instructions correctly, what the pattern wants you to do is to join a new ball of yarn to that spot. You will leave the yarn attached at the point where it told you not to cut. Eventually the pattern will have you go back to the yarn that you didn't cut.

{Hoping this makes sense... I just got home from work a little while ago, and haven't slept yet!}

Nicole's Crochet Bistro
NCB/The Purl in the Oyster {patterns & stitch markers}
The Purl in the Oyster {my blog}

Year of the Sweater KAL: Pinwheel Top {Skacel Yarn Ad Sweater} in two strands of Sirdar Denim Chunky {just needs seaming}
Current UFO Extermination Project: Homespun sweater coat {frogged and being reknit}
nicolethegeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 02:00 PM   #3
nana1140
Casting On

join yarn
I bet your right. unfortunately I dont have another ball of the yarn. Couldnt I just cut it and join and when I get to knit 5 piece tie on? Does this make sense? :thinking:
nana1140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 05:56 PM   #4
nicolethegeek
Instepping Out

If you are talking about what I think you're talking about... yes, you can do that. You will have several extra ends to weave in though. Alternatively, you can use the "other" end of the yarn from your ball for the area that requires the second ball.

Nicole's Crochet Bistro
NCB/The Purl in the Oyster {patterns & stitch markers}
The Purl in the Oyster {my blog}

Year of the Sweater KAL: Pinwheel Top {Skacel Yarn Ad Sweater} in two strands of Sirdar Denim Chunky {just needs seaming}
Current UFO Extermination Project: Homespun sweater coat {frogged and being reknit}
nicolethegeek is offline   Reply With Quote