Old 03-20-2006, 03:17 PM   #1
cindyloowho
Ribbing the Cuff

A few lessons learned while felting...sock question too
I wanted to pass on a big mistake I made. Maybe someone else will benefit. I felted ( attempted ) a basket. I THOUGHT the ends at the bottom were properly woven in! I THOUGHT the basket would be ok outside of a pillowcase! 5 minutes in the washer and I pulled out the basket with the bottom undone. The end wasnt unravelled, but the bottom was wide open. There are 4 yarn strands running from opening to opening. I am letting it dry to see if it is salvagable. Either someone will be able to help me pick up stitches or else I can sew a running stitch around the opening ( a tight one) and felt it some more and then sew a fabric bottom on. I hate to lose the entire project. But something terrible happened. I wonder if it got caught in the agitator. I guess I got careless. There are instructions for a reason.

Now a sock question. I am finishing my second sock. When I was making the gusset, at the end of the 1st needle, I k2tog, knit and then switch to the 2nd needle. When I put the sock on, at that point all the way up, there are gaps between the stitches. I knit tighter than tight and still got the spaces, though smaller than the first pair. Is there a way other than tightly stitching to prevent that running line of what seem like holes? I hope that makes sense.

Thank you
Cindy :XX:
cindyloowho is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-21-2006, 12:37 AM   #2
TwoLeftNeedles
1st Leg of the Journey

Assuming you were using DPNs, one remedy is to finish off the stitches on a DPN, then knit two more from the next one before switching to your newly emptied DPN. This way, the point under strain keeps moving around the sock, preventing a visible ladder.