Old 03-21-2006, 06:52 PM   #1
azalea
Ribbing the Cuff

"worsted" weight yarn
What does "worsted" mean? And why would I want to use something worsted vs not? Does it matter? How can I tell if my yarn is worsted? (I'm using bernat supervalue acrylic yarn) Also what does this symbol mean (ie, what do the numbers mean?) :

thanks!
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-21-2006, 06:54 PM   #2
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

Worsted is just a medium weight yarn. That's what the number '4' refers to. Other yarns that are thinner than worsted would have the numbers 3, 2, or 1 and heavier weight yarns would have a larger number on the symbol.

Different patterns call for different yarns and different needle sizes depending on what look you are after. A worsted weight yarn and a very large needle would give an open knit, whereas a worsted weight yarn and a very small needle would give you a very tight knit.
Old 03-21-2006, 06:55 PM   #3
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,243 Times in 1,838 Posts
Yarn comes in different thicknesses. Worsted weight is in the middle range.

Here is a chart that shows the different weights and the stitches per inch they knit up into.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote