Old 03-22-2006, 12:03 AM   #1
azalea
Ribbing the Cuff

OT: can i return stuff at walmart without a receipt?
I bought some needles at walmart two days ago that I need to return bc they're too small. I'm such an idiot, bc I threw the receipt away today when i purged my wallet. They're still in their packaging, and i have the walmart bag that they came in. Will they take them back? I just want to exchange them.

Please say yes! lol
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-22-2006, 12:28 AM   #2
Friskums

Yeah. Just make sure you have your drivers license with you and they can return them (and put the money on a gift card) or exhange them.

I was a CSM at Wal-Mart. That's the policy. Especially if they haven't been opened.

So, don't fret. You can.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:29 AM   #3
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
I don't know their policy, but you can always call them. ARe they still in the packages? They probably won't take them at all unless they are, but you can still ask. Also they may not return your money, but possibly will exchange or give you a GC. Have to call and ask about the policy at your store.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 12:34 AM   #4
Friskums

Depends on the store, too. The one in Casselberry, FL will take cd's back even if they are opened. They, literally, would take ANYTHING back.

Which really pissed me off and is why I quit. How am I supposed to do my job enforcing the policy that the corporate office set when the assistant and store managers would 'talk' to you when you do your job right. Cashiers got scolded all the time for checking ID's and signatures.

I got taken into the back and 'talked' to because I wouldn't let a man use his wife's card. That wasn't signed on the back anyway. Apparently because the register prompted me to ask for his ID (which I always do anyway, and if there's any cashiers on the forum, you should to) I didn't get in actual trouble.

The guy threw a big fit, the managers came up, refunded the money on his card (that he had to use since I wouldn't take his wife's) and charged it to his wife's card anyway.

I think that was the day I started actively looking for a new job.
I don't mind Walmart in general, but I hate that store.

Uh...*gets off soapbox* sorry...
Old 03-22-2006, 10:18 AM   #5
cheesiesmom
Turning the Heel

Quote:
I got taken into the back and 'talked' to because I wouldn't let a man use his wife's card. That wasn't signed on the back anyway.

frisky--

I for one appreciate your abiding by the established rules. My DD had her purse stolen and the perps took her credit card, when around the corner to a supermarket and charged $350 worth of stuff. If someone had questioned it, it would have saved everyone a LOT of hassle!

Gladys, all for the rules in Michigan!!
cheesiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 12:07 PM   #6
Friskums

I was thanked on almost a daily basis (back in my home store) for checking ID's. Very rarely was anyone upset (unless they didn't have one).
Granted I was working overnight and the people who came in on a regular basis you get to know so I didn't ask them every time, but I did still check the name on the card to make sure it wasn't someone else's.

They only 'talked' to me, cuz how can you write someone up for following policy? :rollseyes:
Old 03-22-2006, 03:39 PM   #7
knitwit2
1st Leg of the Journey

I returned PSP (Personal Sony Playstation) games at Walmart before without a receipt and they told me that I could return 3 items in a year without a receipt.

Hope this helps.

knitwit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 07:17 PM   #8
nicolethegeek
Instepping Out

The corporate policy at WM is now that refunds are generally not given without a receipt. It changed about a year ago. If you don't have a receipt, and push it, they will give you a gift card with the refund amount on it. And they don't accept returns after 90 days either. The policy used to be extremely liberal, but it cost them tons. Now they've finally changed to one that's more in line with most of retail.

I do agree though, that the policy and how well it is adhered to depends on the clerk you have, and the manager on duty that day... nearly impossible to get any kind of consistency.

Azalea... considering that you want to exchange them rather than return them outright, you will probably get pretty good cooperation even though you don't have a receipt.

Nicole's Crochet Bistro
NCB/The Purl in the Oyster {patterns & stitch markers}
The Purl in the Oyster {my blog}

Year of the Sweater KAL: Pinwheel Top {Skacel Yarn Ad Sweater} in two strands of Sirdar Denim Chunky {just needs seaming}
Current UFO Extermination Project: Homespun sweater coat {frogged and being reknit}
nicolethegeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 07:31 PM   #9
CarmenIbanez
Grafting the Toe

Just a thought on the credit card issue. I never sign mine. I use a sharpie marker and I write "please ask for photo i.d." Now technically the credit cards aren't valid unless you sign them, but I have done this for 10 years now. I have never had a problem being able to use the card and more people ask for my i.d. than before I did this.
CarmenIbanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 07:45 PM   #10
Friskums

Yeah, technically the card isn't valid. But, if it says Check ID, most places won't give you a problem with it.

When I said it wasn't signed, the back was blank. No CID, no sig, nothing.

I acutally both sign mine, and write CID.