Old 03-21-2006, 11:36 PM   #1
abbygail
Ribbing the Cuff

Does anyone know?????
Hi,
I started a sock class and the teacher wants us to learn an alternate cable cast on stitch because she says it is more elastic and better for a sock. I am having trouble learning it. Is there a video available that teaches it?
Also would like to know how long it took some of you to get good at knitting. Did any of you stuggle with it at first? I am starting to wonder if I am just inept at this.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
Evelyn
abbygail is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-21-2006, 11:44 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,243 Times in 1,838 Posts
Here is video on cable cast on.

Knitting, like any skill, takes practice. No one starts out an expert, by any means. You're knitting a sock!!

Would you expect to play the violin perfectly after a few lessons? No? Then why not allow a learning curve for knitting, too? [/url]

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 11:46 PM   #3
ekgheiy
Instepping Out

Send a message via ICQ to ekgheiy Send a message via AIM to ekgheiy Send a message via MSN to ekgheiy Send a message via Yahoo to ekgheiy
Dang Ingry - you beat me to it. wink wink ... *tehehe*

ekgheiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 11:47 PM   #4
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Winner and still Champeen!!!

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Old 03-21-2006, 11:58 PM   #5
abbygail
Ribbing the Cuff

I know you are right but I just get so frustrated with myself. It seems the people I take these classes with can just hear it once and they are knitting away and I am still taking baby steps. I have to try to grasp all I can in these classes because I don't know anyone close to me who knits so I can't depend on having someone show me a few times.
I think that is why I like the videos. It is like having a private tutor.
abbygail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 12:09 AM   #6
Ingrid
Mod Squad

The videos are a private tutor, and the rest of us are coaches--so you have your own personal support staff here.

IngridKH on Ravelry
Old 03-22-2006, 12:38 AM   #7
Friskums

No one gets left behind.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:06 AM   #8
JENinIA
Ribbing the Cuff

I am a very crafty sort of person, and I struggled with it at first. Some people in my class really took off knitting right away, but different people learn in different ways. I needed to learn more about WHY I was doing a certain thing to achieve a certain result, so watching the videos over and over really helped me. Also, later I found out that many of the people in my class had some knitting experience- maybe it was just grandma teaching them to knit when they were 8 and they hadn't picked it up since. The thing is that that info was still in their brain- they just needed to access it. I just hadn't ever done it. Even though I am quite the perfectionist- I just had to be okay about the fact that I wouldn't be a GOOD knitter right away. I had a ball of yarn and decided I would continue to knit on it until it was gone. I did this skinny long strip. It starts out pretty bad and gets better and better. I didn't try to make anything for awhile- I just practiced. I got up early every morning and watched the videos over and over- I visualized knitting while I was laying in bed at night. Obsessed was the word. Eventually you make that mind-motion connection and the knitting will finally seem natural. No I am not AWESOME, but I can tell you that because of KH I am sure that I am the best knitter to come out of that class! Good luck! You will get it! Practice, practice, practice!
JENinIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 10:07 AM   #9
Nikki
Knitting the Flap

Come over here and sit next to me. I thought I would be the only person on earth never to be able to do this knitting thing.

It was so odd for me at first. What the heck do I do with these two sticks and why does everyone seem to enjoy this horrible craft? Sound about right? Plus I'm a lefty and all I could remember is my mother telling me I'd never learn to knit because of it. Then a friend sent me a link to this site. I finished a pair of felted Fiber Trends clogs for me and am working on the second clog of a pair for the husband guy. You WILL be able to do this. I'm just finishing a beginner class at my LYS and if it wasn't for this site and Amy's videos I'd never have made it through the classes. Fix a cuppa tea, tell everyone to leave you alone and knit to please yourself.
Nikki
Nikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 02:01 PM   #10
LeslieA
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to LeslieA Send a message via MSN to LeslieA Send a message via Yahoo to LeslieA
Absolutely! I am new at this too. I originally started in the fall and gave up when I remembered this site. Everyone here has probably contributed to me finally being able to do it. So now I am practicing my stitches by doing dishcloths. Although I haven't completed one yet. :rollseyes:

Hang in there you can do it. Heck your'e making socks, I'm not. I'm afraid.
LeslieA is offline   Reply With Quote