Old 03-26-2006, 12:05 AM   #1
6kittiesmom
Casting On

am i twisting my stitches?
I thought i had figured out what i was doing wrong with my knitting but now that i've been practicing the stockinette stitch it seems that i'm twisting my stitches somewhere. Can anyone look at this and figure out whether it's my knit or my purl stitch? If it helps i just finished a row of knitting and am getting ready to flip my needle and purl but i took this picture BEFORE i did that. :thinking:

Thanks ahead of time! I am anxious to start a project but want to get the basics down before i do anything.

The Mod Squad was here **image resizing
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	p3253580.jpg
Views:	606
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	26221  
6kittiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-26-2006, 12:07 AM   #2
ekgheiy
Instepping Out

Send a message via ICQ to ekgheiy Send a message via AIM to ekgheiy Send a message via MSN to ekgheiy Send a message via Yahoo to ekgheiy
Hmm - I don't see anything wrong? Where do you see twisted sts?? I don't see any...

ekgheiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 12:59 AM   #3
Purlyn
Casting On

It's probably with where you put the needle whilst doing the Knit stitch. Whether the needle is to the 'front' of the work or at the 'back' of the work while you're knitting. I have been knitting for over 40 years(OMG!!! ) and have always done it 'wrong' so my stocking stitch always has a nice slight texture (have not had any complaints)
It doesn't seem to affect pattern work.

Maybe try a swatch of each method and chose the one you like the look of best and that works easily for you. :XX:

Warmest Regards Pam
Purlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 01:02 AM   #4
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
i only found out i was twisting my purl stitches by someone ELSE saying they had a hard time purling into a knit row and seeing them be told it wasn't normal. When i purled i had my yarn in front just like i was suppose to but instead of coming in front and over the needle, i was going behind the needle and up over it back to the front. (hope that makes sense.) it wasn't until i rewatched amy's video that i saw that i was wrapping that around the wrong way.
Old 03-26-2006, 01:03 AM   #5
ekgheiy
Instepping Out

Send a message via ICQ to ekgheiy Send a message via AIM to ekgheiy Send a message via MSN to ekgheiy Send a message via Yahoo to ekgheiy

ekgheiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 01:04 AM   #6
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,782 Times in 7,145 Posts
I can't really tell from your photo, but check out Amy's video on recognizing twisted stitches and maybe you can tell. It's down a ways on the page.

Here's some more help.
http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter02/FEATtheresa.html

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 02:14 AM   #7
TwoLeftNeedles
1st Leg of the Journey

The easiest way to tell if you're twisting your stitches is to spread them out on the needle and look closely to see which leg of the stitch is closer to the tip of the needle.

With the tip of the needle pointing right,

* if the front leg of the stitch is the one closest to it, the stitch is not twisted.

* if the back leg of the stitch is the one closest to the tip, the stitch is twisted.

Check after a knit row and again after a purl row.
Old 03-26-2006, 03:53 AM   #8
humblestumble
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to humblestumble Send a message via Yahoo to humblestumble
I would definitely check the video or the article posted previously. There are a few ways to twist your stitches, I know because I used to.

Looks like you might, and I am only guessing because of how your stitches lay, they generally look like a v, but one leg goes below the other, thats how I knew I was twisting my stitches, but nevermind that. Just look at the video and the article.

You will probably be able to figure it out. Otherwise, we'd probably have to see a video of you knitting. If you still cant do that, we could use a closer picture with you pulling the knitted fabric down away from the needle so we can see the legs of the individual stitches, but even then we wouldnt really be able to tell you how to fix it without seeing what you are doing.

If I were you, I'd look at the vids here and just look at them as if you are learning all over again step by step to see if you are doing something different. and then study how the legs sit. It takes a minute to get it, but once you do, it's a great help.

http://www.amsfineart.com

humblestumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 03:25 PM   #9
ecb
Working the Gusset

Send a message via ICQ to ecb Send a message via AIM to ecb Send a message via MSN to ecb Send a message via Yahoo to ecb
Originally Posted by brendajos
i only found out i was twisting my purl stitches by someone ELSE saying they had a hard time purling into a knit row and seeing them be told it wasn't normal. ... it wasn't until i rewatched amy's video that i saw that i was wrapping that around the wrong way.
I was Knitting incorrectly for a month or so
I was twisting my Purls, and knitting oddly
it 'worked' but was not nearly as much fun as it is now
:XY:
once you get it
things will make a lot more sense (that is what happened to me anyway)
Good judgement comes from experience
but Experience comes from Bad Judgment
ecb
ecb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 05:32 PM   #10
6kittiesmom
Casting On

Thank you all!!! I have checked the videos but will again...
I will also check the "legs" of my stitches to see. You ladies are the best! THANKS!
6kittiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote