Old 03-26-2006, 06:33 PM   #1
beckyrhae
Turning the Heel

ideas about painful hands...
Ugh! I was a hairdresser for 12 years, so I am used to working with my hands, maybe it is the different way of holding things, but my hands really hurt sometimes! I'm sure once I have been knitting awhile it will go away.

I'm so enjoying knitting that I work thru it, or take an Aleve when it is time to marathon knit, but its not really joint pain, more like the muscle on my LEFT thumb. Any ideas?

Heh... I dont know my left from my right.

The Knitting Barista

The Sheeps Tale

KnittingBarista on Ravelry
beckyrhae is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-26-2006, 06:41 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
My hands were very sore when I first got back into knitting with a vengence. My fingers would ache at night. That eventually stopped, but when I was knitting for hours a day, my left thumb wouldn't even bend sometimes or would get stuck in one position. I'd have to snap it back in place. This was all day, not just when I was knitting. Since I started taking breaks to come here, that went away and my thumb is back to normal.

If it's muscle pain, I imagine it's like any other exercise--your muscles will become accustomed.

Take breaks and stretch your hands and wiggle your fingers.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 06:48 PM   #3
gardenmommy
Instepping Out

http://www.berroco.com/hg_workout.html

I saw this hand workout on the Berroco site. I used to have some gloves kind of like that many years ago since I'm also a medical transcriptionist, but I lost them and don't even remember if they worked!
Old 03-26-2006, 06:59 PM   #4
knitstress_tygher
1st Leg of the Journey

If I sit for too long knitting my hands get tired too, so I've just learned to take breaks. even if it's just to flex and stretch my fingers. My mom had surgery on both hands for carpal tunnel, so I do everything I can to avoid it myself.

I have noticed tension in my back, between my shoulderblades .. guess knitting is just a pain all around, hmm?

Recent FOs:
Brandon Handwarmers, Several felted Boogas, Not-Malabrigo Handwarmers, Malabrigo Hat

Up Next:
Monkey socks, Shawl for Jeanette, Scarf for Mykael
knitstress_tygher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 07:21 PM   #5
Yvonne
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by gardenmommy

I saw this hand workout on the Berroco site. I used to have some gloves kind of like that many years ago since I'm also a medical transcriptionist, but I lost them and don't even remember if they worked!

You are? I'm a medical transcriptionist too!

Yvonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 07:26 PM   #6
ecb
Working the Gusset

Send a message via ICQ to ecb Send a message via AIM to ecb Send a message via MSN to ecb Send a message via Yahoo to ecb
I know I am well primed for Carpal Tunnel
but one thing I have noticed is that knitting seems to move different muscles than Mouse/keyboard work
the only panic/concerns I have had about carpal tunnel is that one morning I woke up to a numbhand and half forearm
since I knew that if it was carpal Tunnel it would only be my hand, I was relieved in a way

it turned out to be a pinched nerve in my Axillary (armpit)
Good judgement comes from experience
but Experience comes from Bad Judgment
ecb
ecb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 07:32 PM   #7
gardenmommy
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by Yvonne
Originally Posted by gardenmommy

You are? I'm a medical transcriptionist too!
Certainly am! Do you work at home? I have for the past 9 1/2 years...can't believe it's been that long!
Old 03-26-2006, 08:54 PM   #8
Weasley
Casting On

I am glad to hear that I am not the only one with pain in my hands and back. It surprised me, especially when I am only 30 and feel like arthritis is setting in. I did just start up with knitting again after having not knit in at least three months. I guess it is the muscles just getting used to it again.

My shoulders and back don't hurt as much when I place a pillow behind me, giving me a better upright posture. For my hands, all I do is take breaks and wiggle them around for a couple minutes. My left thumb likes to get stuck too sometimes. I thought it was because I am double jointed.
Weasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 09:16 PM   #9
quirky
Knitting the Flap

I have arthritis and an extra long ulna bone. The ulna bone causes a pinched nerve in my ulna nerve and my thumbs will go numb. Its similar to carpal tunnel but a different cause.
Any way for the arthritis part I have discovered that Absorbine Jr. works great to sooth the pain. It works on the same concept as "icy hot" and the like but it lasts much longer in my opinion. And smells better too.
For the nerve stuff I am very careful with my posture and take frequent breaks. But the most important thing is posture! Its amazing how we compress, twist and scrunch our bodies and how that makes everything ache!

"Never EVER give up."
quirky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 12:34 AM   #10

I too have pain in my upper back area. I do notice that when I'm knitting that I catch myself with just my head bent forward. So that's why I'm so sore up there, but the other place I really hurt is my left finger/knuckles. The ones at the top of my hand. They just scream at me whenever I pick up my needles!!

I try to hold it a different way, but I can't seem to do that. Plus I don't notice myself gripping the needles hard at all??? So I'm not sure what that's all about.

But I just plow through the pain!!

On a side note, I just finished my first dog sweater - kind of - I have to sew the top part and I don't get how to do it???!!!! I'm trying to read it out of SnB, and I watched Amy's video, but I'm still struggling.