Old 03-27-2006, 11:04 AM   #1
artlady
Casting On

curling on needles problem
Hi
I'm a new knitter and the problem I'm having is when I knit, the knitting curls around the needles.
What am I doing wrong?
PLEASE HELP.
artlady from ky
artlady is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-27-2006, 11:12 AM   #2
horve1
Turning the Heel

Hi!
This may help.
http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting...pic.php?t=4785
Recent FOs: Earrings; Celtic Cap & Scarf-y; Swatches for TWP; 6 EarFlap Hats; Hand-painted-yarn Sun Spot Stole that decided it wanted to be a Vintage Velvet Scarf; DD's Fuzzy Socks; Shadow Pillow; Aran Pillow; DS's Thuja Socks; Tree of Life Square; Sunny-Flower Square; Ornament; Extreme Knitting 2-in-1 Socks; Single-Needle Scarf Trio; DS's Cardigan; Qiviut Lace Scarf; DD's Daria Belt; DD's Fun Scarf; Mini-Purse from first yarn I spun; BECKA'S LEAVES OF WHIMSY SOCKS W/SWAP YARN FROM BECKA!!!; Knit Bead Bracelet & Earrings; Happy Socks; "Really Cool Socks"; Eagle's Flight Socks; Cabled Fingerless Mitts; Mistake-Rib Socks; Bamboo Mini-Bag; Felted Vase; DD's Basket; Felted Clogs; DS's Sweater; DD's Lacy Stole; Oversize Booga; Crazy Quilt; DS's Backpack.

On needles: A Special Secret Present; Never-Ending Afghan (remainders/reminders from all my projects).
horve1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 02:30 PM   #3
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
Do you mean that the knitting curls up OR that it actually curls and twists around the needle?

Curling and twisting around the needle is common when you only have a few rows. It will hang nicely once you have an inch or so done.

If it's the actuall pattern curling you are probably doing stockinette. That is normal and often used as part of the pattern like in the roll edged hats. Check the link given above for more info.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote