Old 03-28-2006, 08:25 PM   #1
Cristy
Instepping Out

beat-to-death topic....airplanes
I know this topic has been beat to death but I just wanted an update...has anyone recently flown and encountered problems w/ knitting needles on the plane? I went to the FAA website and linked to the safety administration site and it says knitting needles are okay for both carry-ons and checked luggage. I keep having nightmares that I board the plane to San Diego tomorrow and they take away my addis... :crying:

I'm sure no one wants to discuss this in depth again but if anyone has flown recently--let me know how it went. I'm flying out of ATL and into SAN--I've never flown into SAN before--ATL is huge and is where I would expect problems although a lady in my SNB told me that she had no problems here--only in Houston.

Cristy is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-28-2006, 09:59 PM   #2
knitstress_tygher
1st Leg of the Journey

My last flight was to and from New York last November. I had a project on circular needles, and didn't have any problem. I kept the project I had on 17s in my checked luggage, and it made it through fine too.

Recent FOs:
Brandon Handwarmers, Several felted Boogas, Not-Malabrigo Handwarmers, Malabrigo Hat

Up Next:
Monkey socks, Shawl for Jeanette, Scarf for Mykael
knitstress_tygher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 10:04 PM   #3
Friskums

Transporting Knitting Needles & Needlepoint

Knitting needles are permitted in your carry-on baggage or checked baggage. However, there is a possibility that the needles can be perceived as a possible weapon by the TSA screener. TSA Screeners have the authority to determine if an item could be used as a weapon and may not allow said item to pass through security. TSA recommends the following when bring knitting needles on an airplane:

* Circular knitting needles are recommended to be less than 31 inches in total length
* We recommend that the needles be made of bamboo or plastic (Not Metal)
* Scissors must have blunt points
* In case the screener does not allow your knitting tools through security it is recommended that you carry a self addressed envelope so that you can mail your tools back to yourself as opposed to surrendering them at the security check point.
* As a precautionary measure it is recommended that you carry a crochet hook with yarn to save the work you have already done in case your knitting tools are surrendered at the checkpoint.

Most of the items needed to pursue a Needlepoint project are permitted in your carry-on baggage or checked baggage with the exception of circular thread cutters or any cutter with a blade contained inside. These items cannot be taken through a Security Checkpoint. They must go in your checked baggage.

From here

Edited to add: You can always print that out and if anyone gives you problems show it to them. At least it's a documented statement to back you up.
I'd probably only keep the one(s) you need with you on the carry-on. Just put everything else in your checked baggage.
Old 03-29-2006, 06:28 AM   #4
Cristy
Instepping Out

Thanks guys...I read all of that info...I guess I'm taking my chances. I'll report back!

Cristy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 12:09 PM   #5
kemp
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via ICQ to kemp Send a message via AIM to kemp Send a message via Yahoo to kemp
I've flown tons with my needles...couple of times in the last 4 months...no problems.
kemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 01:53 PM   #6
knittingdoula
1st Leg of the Journey

I just flew this past weekend from San Francisco to Dallas/FW and carried a dedicated bag for my knitting. There were tons of aluminum DPN's, Addi circs and wool. I got through with absolutely no problem whatsoever.

A pair of scissors I accidentally placed in there some days before also got through, disturbingly enough. I guess I don't look like a terrorist, though it should have gotten flagged, because my husband wears a kippah and has a long beard (gets called Rabbi all the time). I could give a care if we're racially profiled, I simply want a safe aircraft, and those scissors getting through made me wonder what else was passing them by. *sigh*

Alison
----------------------------------------------------------

Obsessive knitter and yarn addict. Mama to Jenna (24), Liza (our angel), David (7), Miriam (1) and EDD 3/26/07. Wife to the spectacular David, who encourages and finances my addiction. I am blessed.
knittingdoula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 02:26 PM   #7
KellyK
Sock Yarn Bliss

Send a message via Yahoo to KellyK
I took my knitting with me to COSTA RICA last year in June. No problem.
KellyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 03:36 PM   #8
loriwat
Casting On

I'm glad you asked, I've been stressing over the same thing. I have size 1 and 2 Addi's I wanted to take, but I have been afraid they'll take them thinking they could be a weapon.

I guess I'll be brave.
Old 03-29-2006, 08:22 PM   #9
samm
Turning the Heel

This reminds me that at JoAnns on the weekend, I found a little yarn cutter for about $2.50! I have Clover ones that are a lot more expensive, and this one came with a lanyard to string it onto so you can wear it around your neck. And tie it to your knitting bag so you can find it! It would be good on a plane rather than scissors if you are just cutting yarn to switch. I don't find them terrific for trimming that final bit when weaving ends. samm
samm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 08:40 PM   #10
Julie
Instepping Out

I flew from Chicago to Denver yesterday and didn't have any problem. :D I did pack a self-addressed padded envelope in my carry-on just in case, because I brought 4 pairs of Addis with me and the thought of having them taken away made me very