Old 03-30-2006, 02:05 PM   #1
knittychrissy
Casting On

what to do when you didnt make a lifeline?
because of course i did not.

here's my pattern:
http://www.chezplum.com/pdf/isabeau_purse.pdf

i was halfway through the 2nd set of lacwork.
and i was really doing well this time! (i say this time because i've frogged this project around 5x now...)
then i put the needles down for a sec to seperate my kids before there was bloodshed. when i picked them up and consulted my pattern (i cross off the rows as i go..) i got confused. it seemed i accidentally crossed off a row that wasnt actually completed. so i started again.
5 rows later and i realize im knitting on the wrong side.
my lacework is now backwards halfway through. im thinking of finishing anyway just to finally finish. i cant stand the thought of frogging this again.
i wanted to scream. so i put down the needles, made a drink and some popcorn and put on the boobtube.
sigh.
help.
i have no idea how to recover this project. should i just continue and finish it the way it is?

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-30-2006, 03:07 PM   #2
TwoLeftNeedles
1st Leg of the Journey

Rule number one: It's your project, not the designer's. Unless you're knitting this on commission, you're under no obligation to follow the pattern.

That means that if you think it looks interesting with the lace inside out on the second half, it's absolutely your right and priviledge to continue it that way. Or if you think the yarn would look better back on the skein, you have every right to choose that option, too.
Old 03-30-2006, 03:12 PM   #3
rebecca
Grafting the Toe

:( I'm sorry...I feel your pain :( You could do the "Destination Row" technique that Amy explains in Basic Techniques...More; I've used this & it works like a charm

"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength."

Whimsical Knitting
Whimsical Knitting Designs

I'm Becka on Ravelry!

rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 09:05 PM   #4
Purlyn
Casting On

AAACCCHHH!! You poor thing Instead of pulling it off the needles completely...You could 'unknit' the five rows stitch by stitch, row by row until you are back where you need to be. It doesnt take as long as you might think.
OR
As its only 5 rows could you now get back on track the right way round and have it as interesting alternative.

OR

Put it away while you consider your options.

Good luck
Old 03-30-2006, 09:16 PM   #5
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,827 Posts
Since every other row is a purl, you can take it off the needles, rip until you're on a lace row, then pull that row out one stitch at a time and stick you needle in the stitch that pops out. You'll catch a purl row and can start your lace again.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 09:38 PM   #6
horve1
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by TwoLeftNeedles
Rule number one: It's your project, not the designer's. Unless you're knitting this on commission, you're under no obligation to follow the pattern.

This is one of the best statements I have ever read! (And it goes for more than knitting.)
Recent FOs: Earrings; Celtic Cap & Scarf-y; Swatches for TWP; 6 EarFlap Hats; Hand-painted-yarn Sun Spot Stole that decided it wanted to be a Vintage Velvet Scarf; DD's Fuzzy Socks; Shadow Pillow; Aran Pillow; DS's Thuja Socks; Tree of Life Square; Sunny-Flower Square; Ornament; Extreme Knitting 2-in-1 Socks; Single-Needle Scarf Trio; DS's Cardigan; Qiviut Lace Scarf; DD's Daria Belt; DD's Fun Scarf; Mini-Purse from first yarn I spun; BECKA'S LEAVES OF WHIMSY SOCKS W/SWAP YARN FROM BECKA!!!; Knit Bead Bracelet & Earrings; Happy Socks; "Really Cool Socks"; Eagle's Flight Socks; Cabled Fingerless Mitts; Mistake-Rib Socks; Bamboo Mini-Bag; Felted Vase; DD's Basket; Felted Clogs; DS's Sweater; DD's Lacy Stole; Oversize Booga; Crazy Quilt; DS's Backpack.

On needles: A Special Secret Present; Never-Ending Afghan (remainders/reminders from all my projects).
horve1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 02:38 PM   #7
knittychrissy
Casting On

Originally Posted by Ingrid
Since every other row is a purl, you can take it off the needles, rip until you're on a lace row, then pull that row out one stitch at a time and stick you needle in the stitch that pops out. You'll catch a purl row and can start your lace again.
thank you Ingrid! i avoided this project for a week now. last night i took a deep breath and began ripping. i actually was able to save it with only having to rip out the lace work. i ripped down to the series of garter stitch that preceeds the lacework.
im back on track.
thank you everyone!
Old 04-04-2006, 09:39 PM   #8
BinkyKat
Instepping Out

I tend to put in my lifeline when needed on rows that are easy to work. If I'me lucky to have a pattern that occasionally has a full knit or purl row between pattern rows, I lifeline the he|| of that sucker...

My other method upon realizing I needed a lifeline... is to crack open a bottle of wine and watch movies....
Old 04-04-2006, 11:03 PM   #9
loveswildflowers
Knitting the Flap

Whatsa life line?
I have never heard this term. Is there a video here about that? What is a life line? Why/when should I use one?
loveswildflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 11:23 PM   #10
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,827 Posts
Here is a recent thread on lifelines.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote