Old 04-05-2006, 10:50 PM   #1
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,843 Times in 1,908 Posts
Don't forget why you started knitting!
I've been knitting now for about 3 years, learning the stitches and techniques. I started out making those furry scarves that were all the rage last year. I think I sold about 30 of them! Now, I am sick of making those, and I completely ignore the eyelash yarn section at the craft store.

Recently, I started knitting the "Irish Hiking Scarf", and it was so satisfying to see the cables and texture of the yarn. Yesterday, I was at a restaurant, waiting for my husband to get there (he was driving from work). I was sitting on a bench at the front of the restaurant, working on my scarf, and several people came over and talked to me about my knitting. They were impressed with the cables and texture too.

Then it struck me.....THIS is the kind of knitting I always wanted to learn. THIS is the reason I started knitting in the first place!

So...I think I should make a decision to continue pursuing the "textural" patterns, since that's what gives me the most satisfaction. Following trends and "new" yarns has gotten me sidetracked. Time to get back to what I really want.
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-05-2006, 10:52 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
Absolutely! If you don't love what you're making, what's the point?

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 10:53 PM   #3
jamadian75
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to jamadian75 Send a message via MSN to jamadian75
Here here!!

I just love that this "craft" can still have new discoveries (or re-discoveries) to it even after doing it for some time.

Good for you! And thanks for the reminder!

On Zee Needles:
*Central Park Hoodie (KH KAL); *Sangria Sock #2 (for me!); Mystery project in Noro Iro; *Other UFO's which shall remain nameless

"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." - Mahatma Gandhi
jamadian75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 10:59 PM   #4
KellyK
Sock Yarn Bliss

Send a message via Yahoo to KellyK
Sometimes I knit something to try a new yarn or technique....sometimes I just knit because I want or need something, or because I want to give a gift....but, I NEVER want to feel "stuck" or tired of it.
KellyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 10:59 AM   #5
rebecca
Grafting the Toe

If I don't like what I'm knitting...I don't knit it :D I won't even if it's a gift bc I don't give gifts that I don't like I knit bc I enjoy it, I knit bc it helps me keep my mind off of pain from my disability...I knit for the JOY OF KNITTING :D

"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength."

Whimsical Knitting
Whimsical Knitting Designs

I'm Becka on Ravelry!

rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 11:05 AM   #6
VictoiseC
Instepping Out

That's very interesting... wow you sold about 30 scarves!? I want to sell stuff this summer but I was working really hard on that for 2 weeks, then all of a sudden I just went back to making things for me! Ha. We'll see.

I want to learn to knit visually as that one book out puts it. I mean just creating something without a pattern in front of me. That's a long term goal I guess.

I woke up the other morning and I suddenly saw exactly what I want to make and it's not in any book so that's fun.

:D

VictoiseC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 11:13 AM   #7
cozy
Knitting the Flap

Yes, this was something that occurred to me, too. I have to love what I'm knitting, whether it's for me or for someone else. I mean, this is my hobby, not my job & anything I pursue in my off-time, I'm going to love. For me, I've probably tried at least 5 new things since this year started (part of me being more fearless where knitting is concerned) & everything has been enjoyable.

Knitting Addict since November '03
cozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 11:28 AM   #8
rebecca
Grafting the Toe

:D Vic, what is this new thing that you want to knit?!

"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength."

Whimsical Knitting
Whimsical Knitting Designs

I'm Becka on Ravelry!

rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 11:35 AM   #9
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
I started knitting to take away my stress.. something to do when the kids were in bed so I could unwind... so when I do a project that makes me wanna pull my hair out or throw the needles out I wonder why I'm doing it... cause its not helping me unwind at all :rollseyes:

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 12:15 PM   #10
horve1
Turning the Heel

I have to love what I'm knitting, or believe that the person it's for will love it. For example, I didn't love the sweater I just finished for my DS, but I loved making it because it was from the pictures he drew and I was very happy making exactly what he wanted.
I spend enough time every day doing a job I don't like; I'd go nuts if I didn't enjoy the process of my knitting.
Recent FOs: Earrings; Celtic Cap & Scarf-y; Swatches for TWP; 6 EarFlap Hats; Hand-painted-yarn Sun Spot Stole that decided it wanted to be a Vintage Velvet Scarf; DD's Fuzzy Socks; Shadow Pillow; Aran Pillow; DS's Thuja Socks; Tree of Life Square; Sunny-Flower Square; Ornament; Extreme Knitting 2-in-1 Socks; Single-Needle Scarf Trio; DS's Cardigan; Qiviut Lace Scarf; DD's Daria Belt; DD's Fun Scarf; Mini-Purse from first yarn I spun; BECKA'S LEAVES OF WHIMSY SOCKS W/SWAP YARN FROM BECKA!!!; Knit Bead Bracelet & Earrings; Happy Socks; "Really Cool Socks"; Eagle's Flight Socks; Cabled Fingerless Mitts; Mistake-Rib Socks; Bamboo Mini-Bag; Felted Vase; DD's Basket; Felted Clogs; DS's Sweater; DD's Lacy Stole; Oversize Booga; Crazy Quilt; DS's Backpack.

On needles: A Special Secret Present; Never-Ending Afghan (remainders/reminders from all my projects).
horve1 is offline   Reply With Quote