Old 04-05-2006, 02:08 PM   #1
Cristy
Instepping Out

knitting bummed...
I have been working on the shawl in my signature fo rmy grandmother's birthday...well, her birthday is today and it's not even half way finished! :( I don't know what happened but I just can't get into this project! I showed it to her last night at her birthday dinner and told her I had no idea when it'd be finished...it's just going so slow.

I think I'm knitting bummed...I've never made anything for myself and I really want to... dh bought me a pattern book and the yarn for a tank I wanted but I've pretty much figured out that the pattern will be too big for me and I don't know how to size it down.

I keep refusing to start anything until grandma's shawl is finished but I'm finding that to be rather counter-productive b/c now I'm getting NOTHING accomplished... :( anyone encountered this before... I don't know what to do...

Cristy is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-05-2006, 02:33 PM   #2
aylaanne
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to aylaanne Send a message via MSN to aylaanne Send a message via Yahoo to aylaanne
I got bummed recently, so I did a couple of stash-buster projects that each didn't take more than a day or so (the hat took two days, but hey, I had to frog it, so whatever). Sometimes, doing a small project that you can finish really helps to motivate you to work on a bigger project.

Some suggestions: preemie hats/blankets to donate to the Compassionate KAL or your local hospital, baby socks to donate to the local hospital or women's shelter, blanket squares for Warm Up America or a similar project, washcloths, soap covers, towels, headbands, wrist warmers, stuff like that.

And to re-size your sweater? Try just using smaller needles. Although I've never had the problem of a pattern being too BIG for me....

Good luck!

In the queue:
Jack Skellington baby afghan
Finished: Warm Up America Square, Basketweave Baby Blanket (now to ship it), Massachusetts Dishcloth for the Yarn Harlot, Homeless Hat
, water bottle cozy

aylaanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 02:38 PM   #3
1to1
Turning the Heel

Ripple Shawl
Cristy,

Your gramma's shawl is going to be beautiful when you finish it.

My MIL wants a shawl/cape and I looked at that pattern yesterday.

Please post pictures of your progress. What color are you using?

How about making yourself a dishcloth, simple scarf or something small?

We'll cheer you on here to continue.

Carla
1to1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 03:14 PM   #4
Cristy
Instepping Out

Carla--I posted a link recently under whatcha knittin...it's a WIP. If you can't find it, let me know and I'll send you another pic...it's gotten much further than when I took that pic but you'll get the basic idea. I'm using an acrylic/microfiber yarn instead of the one called for by the pattern...it's machine washable and my grandmother wouldn't be able to hand wash anything. The pic I posted doesn't really represent the color well--it's a little more beige than the picture. The yarn itself is Plymouth Yarns' Dreambaby DK in color 123/camel.

Thanks for the cheers...I think I'm going to work on some warm-up america squares or another baby hat.

Old 04-05-2006, 03:20 PM   #5
aylaanne
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to aylaanne Send a message via MSN to aylaanne Send a message via Yahoo to aylaanne
I think that's a great idea! The shawl looks great, but sometimes we need a break.

In the queue:
Jack Skellington baby afghan
Finished: Warm Up America Square, Basketweave Baby Blanket (now to ship it), Massachusetts Dishcloth for the Yarn Harlot, Homeless Hat
, water bottle cozy

aylaanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 04:10 PM   #6
roxtarchic
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to roxtarchic
i kinda know what you mean.... i'm working on a baby blanket and i SWEAR it seems like its been forever, (it think it's like three wks now) and i was soooo excited to start it... but i just left it at my bf's mom's this past wk/end (and she's mailing it back to me)... like THATS not some sorta clue... i'm just not diggin it... it's like its a big huge mountain & i'm winded half way up the front of it & i can't even SEE the top

and i started a scarf to do on the train (cause i'm finding the blanket a little cumbersome to be trekking in my bag)... and that's stalled because i feel guilty i havent finished the blanket!

and yeah... i know a lot of you switch off from project to project, but i'm like this when i'm bookworming too... i HAVTA finishe the book before i start another.... even if the plot SUCKS... same w/the knitting... GOTTA finish the project before i start another (even tho i tried w/the scarf)

hahah... i've got issues huh?
now i've got knit-ssues
roxtarchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 05:59 PM   #7
rebecca
Grafting the Toe

When I get tired of a big project that I'm working on I also do a quick, fun project (socks, hat, scarf, etc) for ME! and that seems to help me get back in the swing. Your grandma will love it when u r done, I'm sure

"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength."

Whimsical Knitting
Whimsical Knitting Designs

I'm Becka on Ravelry!
rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 11:55 PM   #8
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,845 Times in 1,909 Posts
I had the same problem with that exact pattern. The row with all the yarn overs and knit togethers is a real pain. And the row following it is difficult because you have to be careful not to drop any stitches.

I worked on it off and on for 3 years, and then finally frogged it. I've decided to make a baby outfit with that yarn instead.

I did finish a similar pattern for a baby afghan though. It's the Feather and Fan Baby Afghan in "What'cha Knittin". It took several months to finish. I finally just made myself sit down with some long DVDs and forced myself to finish. I gave it to my step-daughter a couple weeks ago, and she LOVED it.

Hang in there....it will be over one day, and you'll be so proud!
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 12:31 AM   #9
Nana
Ribbing the Cuff

Been there felt like that !! Do you know one time I wrapped up a half made gift (needles and all) and gave it to the person I was making for, with a promisary note. I'm not kidding. We both got a giggle out of it, and I did finish it.....Now I myself am addicted to the "fish aphgan" they are fun , fast. I them. ...So I hope you get out of you funk soon....Karen :XX:
Old 04-06-2006, 08:50 AM   #10
Cristy
Instepping Out

thanks guys--I managed a few more rows last night and decided that I needed some incentive...I bought a bunch of sock yarn from kp last night...I really want to make some socks for mother's day so I figure I'll make myself continue to work diligently until the sock yarn arrives--perhaps that'll make me get a little more done.