Old 04-06-2006, 09:50 PM   #1
kaharitos
Casting On

Circular Needles are Twisting Funny
I am a self taught knitter that has only been knitting for 2 1/2 months now. I am 1/3 of the way through an afghan for my daughter who is 6 months. I am using circular needles at the suggestion of a few seasoned knitters. While I like using them, I have noticed as the blanket has gotten larger and heavier, my circs are not cooperating with me. They seem to be twisting funny when I turn my work to purl the row. I am having to FORCE the loops to the front of the needle to be purled. Knitting wise they slip right up no problems. Purling wise is torture for both the yarn and myself. I have gotten frustrated with the project now. I really enjoy working on this blanket but the circs twisting funny on me is causing me to slow down alot and my yarn is getting fuzzy from being forced up the needle. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions on how to work with circs when you get to a point the blanket is heavier? I don't want to do it in sections and seam them together. I would like it to be a continuous piece with the color changes when I come to them. i like the way the second color blends into the first and am looking forward to seeing the final color blend in with the current one. Someone please help me with these annoying circs! lol

Kimberly
kaharitos is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-06-2006, 10:08 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
Could the circs be too short?

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 10:57 PM   #3
kaharitos
Casting On

They have worked so far, they just started giving me problems, but I guess they may be. They are 29" and the blanket isn't really big as it is a baby blanket, but anything is possible. How should I gage that to know if the circs are too short? I have a set of interchangeable and can set up a longer set if needed but I would rather not unless I know that might fix the problem.

Kimberly
Old 04-06-2006, 11:00 PM   #4
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
I haven't had this problem, so it was more of a guess. I've had instances when the circ was a bit twisted and I kind of had to twirl it in my fingers to make it 'feel' right, but it wasn't so bad that I had a problem on every row. If it's really unbearable, it might be worth trying the longer one, but I'd feel bad if it didn't make a difference. :thinking:

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 11:20 PM   #5
kaharitos
Casting On

It wouldn't take much to switch over. lol I am just being lazy. However, I will try it on the next row and see how it works. It isn't doing it on the knit rows, just the purl rows. And I know it isn't my tension because I have checked it a few times. Who knows what the deal is?! lol

Kimberly