Old 04-07-2006, 04:46 PM   #1
jhelanee
Turning the Heel

Diagonal Eyelet Baby Blanket Pattern
Here (finally) is the pattern I made up for the Diagonal Eyelet Baby Blanket I did for the compassionate KAL. Sorry for the length, if you PM me I can send you a copy in a more printer-friendly Word document.

Diagonal Eyelet and Garter Baby Blanket

This is an elegant yet simple blanket pattern. Knit from corner to corner, it can be made whatever size and with whatever yarn you desire.

Materials: Yarn, appropriately sized Knitting Needles, Tapestry Needle.
I used worsted weight yarn and size 9 needles. A single skein of Plymouth Encore yielded about a 15-16 inch square blanket. For anything bigger than this I suggest circular needles because of the large number of stitches you will have in the middle of the blanket.

Directions:
Beginning section: Cast on 4 stitches
Row 1: K1, Kfb, K2
Row 2: K2, Kfb, K2
Row 3: K3, YO, K3
Row 4: K3, YO, K4
Row 5: K3, YO, P2, K3
Row 6 & 7: K3, YO, K to end

Increase Repeat:
Row 1, 3, 5, 7 & 8: K3, YO, K to end
Row 2: K3, YO, P to last 3 sts, K3
Row 4: K3, YO, P1 *YO, P2tog* repeat between * to last 3 sts, K3
Note: if you have an extra stitch at the end of the repeat section just purl it without a preceding YO
Row 6: K3, YO, P to last 3 sts, K3

Continue working the Increase Repeat until the blanket is half of the desired size. End on Row 7.
Center Row: K3, turn, K3, turn, K across, turn, K3, turn, K3. (This uses short rows to add extra edging so it will fit around the corners)

Decrease Repeat:
Row 1, 3, 5, 7 & 8: K2, K2tog, YO, K2 tog, K to end
Row 2: K2, K2tog, YO, P2tog, P to last 3 sts, K3
Row 4: K2, K2tog, YO, P2tog, *YO, P2tog* repeat between * to last 3 sts, K3
Note: if you have an extra stitch at the end of the repeat section just purl it without a preceding YO
Row 6: K2, K2tog, YO, P2tog, P to last 3 sts, K3

Finishing section: (work when you have completed as many decrease repeats as increase repeats and you are back to approximately the same number of sts as at the end of the beginning section)
Continue to repeat rows 1 and 2 of the decrease section until you work a row that goes: K2, K2tog, YO, K2tog, K2
Next row: K2, K2tog, K2
Final row: K2, K2tog, K1
Bind off remaining 4 sts and weave in all ends. Block blanket into a square (it tends to turn out a bit slanted).

Variations:
1. The blanket center can be placed on an eyelet row instead of a garter row if desired. Simply end the increase section on row 3, work the short rows with row 4 (eyelet row) and begin the decrease section on row 5.
2. Stripes can be added by changing colors as the beginning of each section (or two for wider stripes).
3. A hood can easily be added to the blanket by simply returning to the increase repeat once you are finished decreasing. I turned around without working the finishing section, but you could go all the way down to 4 stitches before increasing again if you want more of a pointed corner. Once the hood is the desired length, bind off and sew the edges of the hood to the blanket. The edge of the hood I mad wanted to roll up, so good hard blocking was needed to convince it to lie flat. You might also want to put a garter, rib or seed stitch border on the hood section to discourage rolling.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	preblanket2crop.jpg
Views:	716
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	26633  Click image for larger version

Name:	preblanket4_183.jpg
Views:	700
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	26634  Click image for larger version

Name:	preblanket4back_349.jpg
Views:	696
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	26635  

Recently finished: DH's small-gauge sweater; Secret of the Stole ii - "Savannah"; BSJ (well the knitting anyway)
On Needles: socks; Odessa (from Magknits)

jhelanee is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-07-2006, 09:41 PM   #2
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
That is really cute thank you for sharing the pattern with us

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote