Old 04-10-2006, 08:55 AM   #1
KellyK
Sock Yarn Bliss

Send a message via Yahoo to KellyK
If you like the birds...
Something to do with that leftover yarn....

Al and I went to Wild Birds Unlimited on Saturday, and bought 2 wren/chickadee/house finch houses (hole is too small for sparrows), and a Robin's nesting platform. Im all excited because while we have always fed our backyard birds, we've never hung houses...dont know why.

We ALSO bought a thing to hang containing WOOL for nesting material! We asked the bird lady if ANY wool will do....she was ALL excited and talked about how if I put out snippets of yarn, we might just see confetti-colored nests all over the neighborhood! What a COOL thing to do with those little smidgey balls of yarn left over from felting projects!

Al bought a bag of oranges today, so I cut up all those little 1" balls of leftover yarn into 3-4" pieces, stuffed them in the meshy orange bag, pulled out a few strands to give the birds the idea, and hung it outside between the houses.

Im just SO excited about this great idea, I had to share!
KellyK is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-10-2006, 09:09 AM   #2
cheesiesmom
Turning the Heel

What a good idea. My husband and I have always fed the birds, too. But with this avian flu thing, we're waiting for the neighbors to start complaining.

Gladys in Michigan, where it's opening day for the Tigers and maybe spring is coming this week.
cheesiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 09:09 AM   #3
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
I know they take dog hair in abundance, and we found nests lined with hair long after we no longer had the dog. I've seen birds taking yarn off the deck after I've cut off ends, so you should have multicolored nests in no time!

This reminds me to order some hummingbird feeders. :thinking: I loved watching them last year so I want feeders all over the front deck.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 09:41 AM   #4
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
okay i am totally creeped out by birds (though i gotta admit i want to get one in defiance of all these people trying to scare us with the bird flu....notice the VETS aren't talking about bird flu?) but i do like taking the snippets and throwing them outside...

ooooooh I did see our first ducks waddling around the parking lot this weekend! i luuuuuuuuuuuv when the ducks come around! especially when they act like they own the place...it makes me giggle!
Old 04-10-2006, 09:47 AM   #5
hedgehog
Knitting the Flap

Location: mind, heart and body in Oxford, England... and i follow The 'Grid on tour...
I live in a fairly wooded area and the birds are in their Spring Frenzy at the moment. We feed them all year round (and have a list of about 20+ different species that come 'round).

When i brush my cat, i leave the big wad of fur outside for them. I also cut up yarn or embroidery floss and leave it out on the deck for them. I just left a bunch out the other day but haven't seen where it went. I'm guessing they took it if it didn't blow away! Red and black ends - very stylish!

-hh

On Needles: Bobby from Rowan's Tadpoles and Tiddlers in KP Shine Sport on indefinite hold...
Reading: The God of Small Things by A. Roy
hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 11:10 AM   #6
rebecca
Grafting the Toe

:D What a WONDERFUL idea...I love birds, have 2 of my own! I will put yarn out for them today...in the yoshino flowering cherry tree, they love it :D

"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength."

Whimsical Knitting
Whimsical Knitting Designs

I'm Becka on Ravelry!

rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 11:46 AM   #7
aylaanne
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to aylaanne Send a message via MSN to aylaanne Send a message via Yahoo to aylaanne
In my area, we can't have bird feeders because of the bears, which will come and eat the birdseed, and then terrorize the neighborhood looking for food. :( poor bears. I like the idea of nesting materials, though! I might try that.

In the queue:
Jack Skellington baby afghan
Finished: Warm Up America Square, Basketweave Baby Blanket (now to ship it), Massachusetts Dishcloth for the Yarn Harlot, Homeless Hat
, water bottle cozy

aylaanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 12:46 PM   #8
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
That is so cool, Kelly! Make sure you take pictures if you see multicolored yarn nests!

We love the birds, but stopped feeding them several years ago when a neighbor cat though we were serving up a smorgasbord of birds. :rollseyes: The cat seems to be gone now so maybe we can try again.

You might appreciate these websites I have bookmarked.
What bird helps yo identify birds by location, color, etc. Plus gives you the bird song, food interests.....

Enature helps you identify all kinds of things including birds, plus more info.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 12:50 PM   #9
1to1
Turning the Heel

Nesting Yarn
I'm going to take some strips of yarn up to our land (40 acres). I have lots of bird feeders and bird houses hanging around. It is so enjoyable and relaxing to be knitting and watching the birds.

The only birds I seem to attract at my house are sparrows and black birds. Oh, and hummingbirds (which are my favorite).
1to1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 02:24 PM   #10
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
We have all kinds of birds here but we also have deer, racoons, and skunks that stay around our house so I'm wondering would they try to get it?? would it hurt them?? :thinking: I just now tried to catch a deer he was behind our wash house but he ran as I turned the corner to get his picture lol he was a cutie... :D

Shremeee my little shih-tzu is a big chicken but I went out with him over the weekend and we had 8 deer close to the back porch he took off and chased them back into the woods wouldn't listen to me as I was hollering come back.. he got to the edge of the field turned back with his little tail and ears up and hopped home.. he was so excited funny thing is if one would have just snorted he would have ran into the house and hid under the futon... :D

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote