Old 04-10-2006, 01:34 PM   #1
laceys
Ribbing the Cuff

Please help with lace pattern... I am so confused
I am working on a pattern for lace and am confused as to how to do this.

Here are the instructions:

SASH
Using larger needle, CO 38 sts. Working first and last st in st st
(selvedge edge), work in Large Feather & Fan pattern until work
measures 25 (25, 26, 27, 28).
Place sts on holder.
Repeat for second half. Seam the 2 halves together using
3-needle BO.

Large Feather & F Fan [over a multiple of 18 sts]Row 1 (RS): Knit
Row 2: Purl
Row 3: K1,*(K2tog) 3 times, (yo, k1) 6 times, (k2tog) 3 times;
repeat from * to last 7 sts, (k2tog) 3 times, K1
Row 4: Knit
Repeat Rows 14

Ok so I am having troubles with what this is supposed to look like. I need help figuring out how to do this. So I have cast on 38 stitches. Then do I need to knit one and then start the pattern? So that would mean knit one then knit one again, knit 2 tog 3 times......

Please help I am having issues figuring this out and am sick of ripping it out for the 3rd time.

Thanks

P.S. I may need more help on this as I get going
laceys is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-10-2006, 01:53 PM   #2
horve1
Turning the Heel

Looks like the first row of your pattern is a knit row, then the second row of the pattern is a purl row. So I think after you cast on the whole first row is knit, the whole second row is purl, then the third row would be what you said. And just a hint, use a life line!!! Have fun. :D
Recent FOs: Earrings; Celtic Cap & Scarf-y; Swatches for TWP; 6 EarFlap Hats; Hand-painted-yarn Sun Spot Stole that decided it wanted to be a Vintage Velvet Scarf; DD's Fuzzy Socks; Shadow Pillow; Aran Pillow; DS's Thuja Socks; Tree of Life Square; Sunny-Flower Square; Ornament; Extreme Knitting 2-in-1 Socks; Single-Needle Scarf Trio; DS's Cardigan; Qiviut Lace Scarf; DD's Daria Belt; DD's Fun Scarf; Mini-Purse from first yarn I spun; BECKA'S LEAVES OF WHIMSY SOCKS W/SWAP YARN FROM BECKA!!!; Knit Bead Bracelet & Earrings; Happy Socks; "Really Cool Socks"; Eagle's Flight Socks; Cabled Fingerless Mitts; Mistake-Rib Socks; Bamboo Mini-Bag; Felted Vase; DD's Basket; Felted Clogs; DS's Sweater; DD's Lacy Stole; Oversize Booga; Crazy Quilt; DS's Backpack.

On needles: A Special Secret Present; Never-Ending Afghan (remainders/reminders from all my projects).
horve1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 02:23 PM   #3
laceys
Ribbing the Cuff

I agree with you horve1 with regards to which row is which. I am sorry, I guess I should have clarified I am having troubles with the third row of the lace pattern.

According to the sash part of the pattern, it looks as if I have to knit one every row on the edge including row three ...is this correct ? I mean I know the knit and purl rows - this is straight forward to me. Then once I get into the 3rd row, I am having difficulties with the k2tog 3 times then yo 6 times.

Do I knit one on each edge then follow the instructions to k1, k2 tog three times, etc?

The pattern does not seem to be even over the whole section. I will try to explain what I mean. When doing a few rows of this pattern it seems that the holes formed in the lace are all over the place and not even at all. The pic from the pattern does not look like what I am getting at all.
Gosh, I hope this makes sense.

Thanks
Old 04-10-2006, 02:39 PM   #4
horve1
Turning the Heel

OK. I'm with you now. I'm pretty sure, judging by the total stitch count, they built the selvedge edge into the pattern for row 3 (and so on), so I don't think you add another one. :D
Recent FOs: Earrings; Celtic Cap & Scarf-y; Swatches for TWP; 6 EarFlap Hats; Hand-painted-yarn Sun Spot Stole that decided it wanted to be a Vintage Velvet Scarf; DD's Fuzzy Socks; Shadow Pillow; Aran Pillow; DS's Thuja Socks; Tree of Life Square; Sunny-Flower Square; Ornament; Extreme Knitting 2-in-1 Socks; Single-Needle Scarf Trio; DS's Cardigan; Qiviut Lace Scarf; DD's Daria Belt; DD's Fun Scarf; Mini-Purse from first yarn I spun; BECKA'S LEAVES OF WHIMSY SOCKS W/SWAP YARN FROM BECKA!!!; Knit Bead Bracelet & Earrings; Happy Socks; "Really Cool Socks"; Eagle's Flight Socks; Cabled Fingerless Mitts; Mistake-Rib Socks; Bamboo Mini-Bag; Felted Vase; DD's Basket; Felted Clogs; DS's Sweater; DD's Lacy Stole; Oversize Booga; Crazy Quilt; DS's Backpack.

On needles: A Special Secret Present; Never-Ending Afghan (remainders/reminders from all my projects).
horve1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 03:11 PM   #5
aylaanne
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to aylaanne Send a message via MSN to aylaanne Send a message via Yahoo to aylaanne
Originally Posted by horve1
OK. I'm with you now. I'm pretty sure, judging by the total stitch count, they built the selvedge edge into the pattern for row 3 (and so on), so I don't think you add another one. :D
what she said. I tried to work it and ended up with the wrong number of stitches. So I think that the selvedge edge is worked in there.

In the queue:
Jack Skellington baby afghan
Finished: Warm Up America Square, Basketweave Baby Blanket (now to ship it), Massachusetts Dishcloth for the Yarn Harlot, Homeless Hat
, water bottle cozy

aylaanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 05:56 PM   #6
laceys
Ribbing the Cuff

Sorry to be such a here but so when you worked it, did it go like this:

K1, K2tog 3 times(over next 6 stitches), yo k1 over next 6, K2tog 3 times(over next 6 stitches), yo k1 over next 6, K2tog 3 times(over next 6 stitches), K2tog 3 times(over next 6 stitches), K1????

To me that seems like the pattern will be funny. You know, the holes will be close to one end and farther from the other. Or is that the way it is supposed to be and I am following the pattern right.

Thanks
Old 04-10-2006, 06:10 PM   #7
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,243 Times in 1,838 Posts
Don't forget that when you repeat the pattern, you're ending with k2tog 3 times and beginning with k2tog 3times, so in the center you do that 6 times in a row. What you end up with should look like this

KKKKOKOKOKOKOKOKKKKKKKOKOKOKOKOKOKKKK

It's balanced.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 06:26 PM   #8
aylaanne
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to aylaanne Send a message via MSN to aylaanne Send a message via Yahoo to aylaanne
I just want to point out that you won't finish the second pattern repeat by the time you hit the last seven stitches. so row 3 will be k1, k2t, k2t, k2t, yo, k1, yo, k1, yo, k1, yo, k1, yo, k1, yo, k1, k2t, k2t, k2t, [pattern repeat] k2t, k2t, k2t, yo, k1, yo, k1, yo, k1, yo, k1, yo, k1, yo, k1, k2t, k2t, k2t, k1.

In the queue:
Jack Skellington baby afghan
Finished: Warm Up America Square, Basketweave Baby Blanket (now to ship it), Massachusetts Dishcloth for the Yarn Harlot, Homeless Hat
, water bottle cozy

aylaanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 11:44 AM   #9
laceys
Ribbing the Cuff

Thank you Ingrid!

I now realize my mistake and yes I wasn't getting the pattern correctly.

I was misreading it

Thanks everyone for your help on this!!
Old 04-11-2006, 08:58 PM   #10
Hildegard_von_Knittin
2nd Sock, I Rock

I just made this mistake last weekend when swatching feather and fan! I highlighted it in my book so i wouldn't miss it anymore.

I tries to think of it as the row starting with the MIDDLE of the fan pattern.... so when I start again I have to start on the other "edge" of the fan, so I have to k2og 3 times.....

never mind. I can't explain it without confusing myself... ANyway, i had the same problem.... it took me 2 hours to get it right.