Old 04-11-2006, 12:23 PM   #1
Sweet_Thang
Ribbing the Cuff

any suggestions for cracked skin
Prolly a little TMI, but here goes.

I normally have dry skin ( i wash my hands, dishes, constantly). I use lotion every day (gold bond), but have noticed, moreso since I started to knit, that my hands, fingers are getting more dried out than normal. Even so, I now have a "cracked skin" on my right forefinger, in the "bend" near the tip.

They way I knit, I sometimes, accidently, push the end of my addi in that spot.. (not now, cuz it hurts like a son of a gun).

Do you guys have any recommendations for any really good hand lotions, etc that might help me prevent the dryness??? It's really driving me crazy when this happens!!

TIA
Lexie

SweetThang - pls add my as your friend!
Sweet_Thang is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-11-2006, 12:28 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,751 Times in 7,121 Posts
While you're waiting for someone with more experience to answer....

I do find yarn very drying, some are worse than others I've noticed, too. I put lotion on before I knit and let it soak in. If there are any cracks I put a bandaid and Neosporin on it if it's in an area that yarn crosses or where needles put pressure. My lotion of choice is Lubriderm for very dry skin because it does soak in and isn't greasy.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 12:57 PM   #3
JGM
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to JGM
Here's a couple threads already started about the subject...

dry knitting hands....

Dry cracked knitters' fingers

-----BEGIN KNITTER'S GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
KER++ Exp+(+) SPM+(+) Wood@ KPO++ !Pl Boye- Cas? Den> Bam> Syn- !Nov Cot>+ Wool+++ Hemp>+ Stash+(+) Scale+ Fin(+) ENT> FI+ Int+ Tex++ Lace> Felt+ Flat Circ++ DPN++ ML+>+ Swatch-@ KIP->+ Blog++ EZ->+ FO WIP GaugeF(DW, W) AltCr
------END KNITTER'S GEEK CODE BLOCK------
JGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 01:20 PM   #4
rebecca
Grafting the Toe

I must say that my favorite remedy is the paraffin spa that my sweet hubby surprised me with....works like a charm

"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength."

Whimsical Knitting
Whimsical Knitting Designs

I'm Becka on Ravelry!

rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 02:23 PM   #5
momwolf
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,136 Times in 707 Posts
I use Udderly Smooth I had the same problem.My fabic store even sells this.But I usally get it at Walgreens cause it's cheaper.I now use it on my legs too.It was made to put on udders of cows My DH uses it too and his hands get really dry in the winter. Give it a try

momwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 02:28 PM   #6
sfavereau
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by momwolf
I use Udderly Smooth I had the same problem.My fabic store even sells this.But I usally get it at Walgreens cause it's cheaper.I now use it on my legs too.It was made to put on udders of cows My DH uses it too and his hands get really dry in the winter. Give it a try
My quilter friend introduced this to me and it really works! When we first moved to CO, I had the worst case of dry skin ever, but it seems to have gotten better and I don't need to constantly apply lotion. Udderly Smooth is great! Give it a try!

My blog
sfavereau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 07:46 PM   #7
aylaanne
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to aylaanne Send a message via MSN to aylaanne Send a message via Yahoo to aylaanne
I do nighttime vaseline treatments. I'm a nursing student, and I wash my hands obsessively. Sometimes I get such dry skin that it cracks and bleeds. It's horrible. I use lotion generously (my favorite is Avon Moisture Therapy with Oatmeal) but when that doesn't cut it, I'll take out the cotton lotion gloves (you can get them at most drugstores) and I slather my hands with vaseline, a nice hefty layer on my skin, then I put the gloves on. I've also heard that some people do this and put plastic wrap on their hands, or non-latex gloves. But the overnight treatment with the vaseline really works for me in a day, two at the most.

Good luck!

In the queue:
Jack Skellington baby afghan
Finished: Warm Up America Square, Basketweave Baby Blanket (now to ship it), Massachusetts Dishcloth for the Yarn Harlot, Homeless Hat
, water bottle cozy

aylaanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 08:03 PM   #8
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,843 Times in 1,908 Posts
OK, I read all the other links about dry hands, but no one recommended what I've found. This is not for dry hands, but for sore spots on your hands. It's an adhesive "thimble" which is a small circle you can place wherever you have a sore spot on your hand. It works beautifully!

It sticks very well, and stays on until you remove it. I wouldn't recommend putting it on an open wound, but if you have a spot that always gets sore when you knit, it would be perfect.

I use it when I'm doing embroidery so I don't stab my finger over and over again.

http://www.pieceocake.com/Notions/th...thimbleit.html
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 08:49 PM   #9
Mienna
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to Mienna Send a message via MSN to Mienna Send a message via Yahoo to Mienna
I use Avons Care Deeply with Cocoa butter or Palmers cocoa butter since they don't have much by way of scent (I have eczema, and the fruity and flowery smells can dry your skin). They both work great.

Holly
Old 04-11-2006, 09:15 PM   #10
JennyLeah
Ribbing the Cuff

I work in food service and spend a lot of time washing my hands and dishes (and then dunking dishes in a santizing solution that's even more drying!) and my skin, which never used to be dry, is cracked and all dry now too.

I love love L VE our parrafin spa. I use it twice a day - once right before I leave for work and then again when I get home from work. In between, I use Cocoa Butter or Shea Butter (whichever's cheapest the day I'm shopping) whenever I feel I need it. Or whenever the bottle's staring me in the face. I just like moisturizing, even if I don't necessarily need it.

For cracks, Vitamin E oil seems to do the trick. Just massage it into the cracks at least once a day and in a short while, they'll be gone. It's an amazing overall moisturizer too, but it comes with a hefty price tag if you're just buying the oil. (You can also buy the gelcaps of them and pierce it with a safety pin and squeeze the oil out. My local pharmacy has bottles of the oil, though, and I find that to be more economical.)

And of course, never forget the wisdom of soaking in a tub of oatmeal when you had the Chicken Pox or a really bad sunburn. An oatmeal handbath softens the skin like nothing else. Which always feels good. Sugar with olive or mineral oil works as a nice and gentle exfolliant too...

I think I've said more than enough to proove I'm a little bit obsessive about this, in any case... :walks away slowly:
JennyLeah is offline   Reply With Quote