Old 04-11-2006, 04:37 PM   #1
hedgewick
1st Leg of the Journey

OT - The West Wing and loss of Leo
Just wondering if any of you watch this show? My Husbnd and I were huge fans for the first few years but when they changed writers it just wasn't the same and we stopped watching. When I found out this was their last season I decided to start watching again. I have to say that even thought I only have seen the last 4 or 5 episodes it is way better than I remembered and I wish I had watched all along now. Sunday's episode just about killed me when Leo died. John Spencer was an amazing actor! I think that if they had just killed off the character I wouldn't have cried like a baby during the episode but I realized watching it that we not only lost a character on the show but the actors lost a co-worker and a friend. The scenes when each character found out about the death were especially hard to watch because you know they had to live this in real life as well.

Next week is the funeral. I'm sure I'll lose it again :crying:
hedgewick is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-11-2006, 04:58 PM   #2
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
yeah i must say i felt incredibly silly sitting there crying ...but every since my Dad died (almost 6 years ago now) i can hardly stand seeing someone cry and it gets me going every time...so when the characters were crying and you knew that they were likely real tears, yeah i was crying. It was worse than when they killed off Mrs. Laningham! :rollseyes: i use to be so tough!

My little liberal heart was delighted to see Santos win that election though! :D I have never stopped loving this show but i know a lot of viewers ran off after Aaron Sorkin left the show. I think i never did because i kept thinking that maybe someday Jed Bartlett really WOULD be president! :rofling: I am going to be sad when the show goes off the air...it has been one of my favorites!
Old 04-11-2006, 05:33 PM   #3
hedgewick
1st Leg of the Journey

I'm glad Santos won althought I kept thinking "gee, Hawkeye would make a fun president". Funny how some actors will always be their most famous character no matter who else they play.
Old 04-11-2006, 07:06 PM   #4
silveridger
1st Leg of the Journey

We only get to watch this one on the re-run channels , since NBC declines to allow us to receive it via satellite (and I absolutely refuse to put an antenna on top of the house along with the two expensive satellite dishes we already have up there just to please them). It's one of my favorite shows, just hard to remember to watch it when it at the irregular times that it shows up. I really liked Leo (the character, that is), he's one of those kind of characters that's really hard to replace. I would have been in tears too.
Saturday Market Bags (2 at once!), Magknits
silveridger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 07:17 PM   #5
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Originally Posted by hedgewick
I'm glad Santos won althought I kept thinking "gee, Hawkeye would make a fun president". Funny how some actors will always be their most famous character no matter who else they play.

him in that role is very amusing to me because he is a raging liberal like i can only hope and dream to be IRL! :rofling:
Old 04-11-2006, 11:32 PM   #6
feministmama
Instepping Out

I saw this too. I loved westwing when it started and abandoned it a while ago. But then I saw a commerical of Josh and Donna in bed! Finally! so I watched and Leo died! Then I read the actor who plays him died too. How freaky is that! How sad too. Now I'll have to go back to watching it! :rollseyes:
-That's OK, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway....
-I'm not afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens.
Reading: Barbara Kingsolver
Knitting: socks

I'm Femmy on Ravelry
feministmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 11:44 PM   #7
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

i got the impression that they weren't planning on killing Leo until after John Spencer died...who knows though.
Old 04-12-2006, 12:08 AM   #8
callmesusan
Turning the Heel

west wing
Hi, I am with you on the loss of Leo (the real man) and on the hope that Bartlett would be our president. Heck, I would even settle for Vinick. What a civilized relationship the two candidates had, eh? My husband and I have watched WW for years, and after this season is over, well, we might as well sell the TV.
callmesusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 08:57 AM   #9
IrishBaby
Knitting the Flap

I cried too. :( Even though I knew what was going to happen, knew John Spencer had died, I still cried. At the end where Josh calls him boss. So sad. :crying:
IrishBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 09:24 AM   #10
hedgewick
1st Leg of the Journey

I wanted to slap the hell out of that woman on Vinick's side when she was joking about Leo having a few more years left in him! I'm a Santos girl but I thought Vinick handled it well as far as not fighting the result. Especially when he said he wasn't going to be a "sore loser".