Old 04-12-2006, 11:32 AM   #1
Secksiebrat
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to Secksiebrat
Hat pattern question
I found this patter on the lionbrand website and I thought it looked like a simple enough hat to attempt for my first time (without a loom). Here is the pattern information (I Hope it's ok to copy/paste it here for question purposes)

http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/kja-preemie.html
Preemie Cap
Lion Brand® Jamie®Baby

GAUGE:
30 St sts = 4 inches [10 cm] BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR GAUGE.

CAP
Cast on 72 stitches. Work 2 inches of K2, P2 ribbing, then work 2 ˝ inches of stockinette stitch (or stitch of your choice-see below). Begin decreases: Row 1: K4, k2tog, across row. Rows 2,4,6 and 8: Purl. Row 3: K3, k2tog, across row.

Row 5: K2, k2tog, across row. Row 7: K2tog, across row.

Cut yarn long enough to sew back seam and run through stitches on needle, pull up tight and sew seam. Add pom-pom if desired.

Here are some variations for the plain part of the cap. For each one, adjust the number of stitches after the ribbing to the amount given for each particular pattern.

Garter Block - 75 stitches
Rows 1,3,5,7,9&11 (RS): Knit
Rows 2,4, & 6: K5 *p5, k5
Rows 8, 10,&12: P5, *k5, p5

Organ Pipes - 70 sts.
Rows 1 & 3 (RS): K4, *p2, k4
Rows 2 & 4: P4, *k2, p4
Rows 5 & 7: P1, k2, *p4, k2, rep from *end p1
Rows 6 & 8: K1, p2, *k4, p2, rep from *end k1
Row 9:Purl
Row 10: Knit

Ok when I look at this pattern, I know it says I need size 4 needles (which of course I don't have, but anyway) how do I know how many I need? It just says size 4 needles. I would assume it needs to be done "in the round" in order to create a hat. I guess I wouldn't know how to even start knitting in the round. I hate that I don't know anyone near me that knits!

I did get a set of boye's interchangable cabled needles off ebay, I haven't received them yet though. Anyway, can someone walk me in the right direction about how I might go about doing this project? Thanks!

~danielle the NEWB~

Secksiebrat is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-12-2006, 11:40 AM   #2
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
this is actually knit flat and then sewed up. generally if it is done in the round it will speak in "Rounds" (round 1; round 2; etc) but this one is talking in "rows."

i can't get to the one you are looking at on their site right now but i would guess at the end it is also telling you to sew up the seam.

a pattern done in the round will also (in most cases) tell you to cast on x stitches, and join being careful not to twist.

and amy has GREAT videos on knitting in the round...definitely check them out...she taught me how and i have NEVER made a cap flat and then sewed it!
Old 04-12-2006, 12:09 PM   #3
Secksiebrat
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to Secksiebrat
Ok I see what you mean. Here is another hat that says "in the round".

http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/kms-preemieHat.html
Preemie Cap
Lion Brand® Microspun

GAUGE:
24 sts + 28 rnds = 4 inches [10 cm] in St st (k every rnd). BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR GAUGE.
HAT

Cast on 48 (60, 72, 84) sts. Distribute sts evenly on 4 needles and join for working in the rnd, being careful not to twist. Work in St st until piece measures 4˝ (5, 5˝, 6) inches [11.5 (12.5, 14, 15) cm] from beginning.

Shape Crown

Rnd 1 *K 4, k2tog; repeat from * – 40 (50, 60, 70) sts.

Rnds 2, 4, 6, and 8 Knit.

Rnd 3 *K 3, k2tog; repeat from * – 32 (40, 48, 56) sts.

Rnd 5 *K 2, k2tog; repeat from * – 24 (30, 36, 42) sts.

Rnd 7 *K 1, k2tog; repeat from * – 16 (20, 24, 28) sts.

Rnd 9 K2tog around – 8 (10, 12, 14) sts.

Rnd 10 K2tog around – 4 (5, 6, 7) sts.

Cut yarn, leaving a 6" [15 cm] tail. Thread tail through remaining sts, and fasten off securely. Weave in ends.

So technically would I need 5 needles then as 4 are making the "round" and one to knitt on to?

I'll definitely watch those vidoes. My son is teething (19months) and so he's not allowing me much time today! Thanks for the quick response!

~danielle~

Secksiebrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 12:26 PM   #4
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
you can use pretty much any method of knitting in the round you like...two circs, magic loop, DPN...i don't think that you will be able to use just one circ unless you have a small circ like a 12 inch though. I think you could do it with 4 dpns too. I don't see anything in there that specifies something special you have to do on certain needles so if you find a pack that only has 4 you should prolly be okay. however, 5 needle packs are best if you can find them! if only for the fact that you will have an "extra" if you happen to lose one!