Old 04-13-2006, 08:36 PM   #1
azalea
Ribbing the Cuff

sleeves too short?
My pattern says to knit the sleeves until they measure 20.5". I was looking at the sizing chart (standard body measurements) on this site http://www.jigsawknits.co.uk/sizecharts.html which says that for someone with a 36" chest, they should measure 25.5" from shoulder to wrist. Now will this make the sleeves too short if I knit to 20.5"?
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-13-2006, 09:31 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
Is this for a man or a woman?

One thing to consider too, is the style of the sweater. If it's a drop shoulder--the top of the sleeve is straight across, it won't really go all the way up to the shoulder anyway. 25 inches is way too long in my opinion, for woman's sleeve. Measure one of your own.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 09:34 PM   #3
azalea
Ribbing the Cuff

it's a men's sweater i'm knitting. in that case, is 25.5" still too long? unfortunately i don't have a sweater that fits him to measure.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 09:37 PM   #4
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
:thinking: A lot depends on how far the shoulder comes down. I would go to www.knittingpatterncentral.com and look at a variety of men's sweater patterns to get an idea of what the general concensus is. 20.5, in this case, seems kind of short since that's the measurement for a woman's sweater sleeve I'm knitting now.

I'd see what other patterns do.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote