Old 04-15-2006, 08:47 AM   #1
spooky
Knitting the Flap

What is everyone's trick to hardboiling an egg ?
Well, it's Easter Time again and you know what that means .... We have to hardboil a bunch of eggs to color. Now, my son is 8 years old and for the past 8 years I have never been able to hard boil an egg w/o it cracking. Sometimes I think I got lucky and when it comes time to eating that egg, it is gooey inside. This year I'd like to hardboil the perfect egg.

I've heard everything from spinning the egg, blowing ON the egg, to timing it for 12 minutes to get the perfect hard boiled egg.

So, what are your secrets on how to get the perfect hard boiled egg? Maybe I can give it a try :D .
spooky is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-15-2006, 09:05 AM   #2
gardenmommy
Instepping Out

This is from the Everyday Cheapskate newsletter I get...

Just about everyone loves deviled eggs. So what better time to learn a few clever tips, tricks and deviled-egg secrets than now, when eggs are plentiful and priced right?

The best eggs for "deviling" are small eggs. Once prepared, a small deviled egg can be handled and eaten more gracefully.

Set the egg carton on its side in the refrigerator a day before you plan to boil the eggs. For some reason, this "centers" the yolks in each egg and makes the most attractive deviled eggs.

Place the eggs in a medium saucepan, cover them with water and bring to a boil over high heat. Remove the pan from the heat, cover and let stand for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, fill a medium bowl with 1 quart cold

water and about 14 ice cubes (one tray). Transfer the eggs to ice water with a slotted spoon; let sit five minutes. Peel.

GENERAL INSTRUCTIONS: After boiling and peeling, slice a scant nickel-sized piece of egg from each end to make them stable. Now, halve the eggs crosswise, not lengthwise. Notice how each half resembles a tiny cup and has a "flat" bottom that allows it to sit upright without wobbling on the plate. Look over your egg-white halves. Discard the two halves that are the least perfect. Now you will have enough filling to make sure all remaining halves are well-stuffed.

Carefully scoop the yolk from each egg half into a quart-size zipper bag, not into a bowl. Add other ingredients, zip and "knead" the bag with your hand to mix all of the ingredients well. Press the yolk mixture toward one of the bottom corners. With a pair of scissors, carefully snip a small bit of the corner from the bag. You now have a neat "pastry bag" from which you can pipe the mixture into the prepared egg-white halves. When you're finished, simply throw the bag away. No muss, no fuss, no cleanup.

Once they are prepared, refrigerate the deviled eggs for at least one hour before serving.

CLASSIC DEVILED EGGS: 12 eggs, 1 teaspoon paprika, 4 tablespoons mayonnaise, 1 teaspoon dry mustard.

DECADENT DEVILED EGGS: 12 eggs, 2 teaspoons dry mustard, 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce, 1 teaspoon hot-pepper sauce, 1/4 teaspoon celery salt, 1/2 cup butter, softened.

CHEDDAR-BACON DEVILED EGGS: 12 eggs, 1/2 cup mayonnaise, 4 slices bacon (fried, cooled and crumbled), 2 tablespoons finely shredded Cheddar cheese, 1 tablespoon prepared mustard.

SPICY-ITALIAN DEVILED EGGS: 12 eggs, 2 tablespoons spicy-brown mustard, 2 tablespoons Italian salad dressing, 1/2 cup mayonnaise, 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper or to taste, 1 teaspoon salt or to taste. Sprinkle finished eggs with paprika.

ZESTY DEVILED EGGS: 12 eggs, 1/2 cup mayonnaise, 4 tablespoons finely chopped onion, 6 tablespoons sweet-pickle relish, 2 tablespoon prepared horseradish, 1 tablespoon prepared mustard, salt and pepper to taste, and paprika for garnish.
Old 04-15-2006, 09:08 AM   #3
knittingachiever
Knitting the Flap

I have to admit, I have not tried this trick personally, but I was at work earlier this week lamenting my inability to hardboil an egg without it being either tough and chewy or liquid on the inside, and one of my coworkers who is a very accomplished cook shared her secret:

Fill your pot or saucepan with water and bring it to a rolling boil. Then take it off the heat, put your eggs in, and set the timer for 20 minutes. After the 20 minutes, replace the hot (but cooling) water with cold water to stop the cooking, then refrigerate.

I dunno if it works, but it sounds good to me. I'll try it if you will!
Old 04-15-2006, 09:12 AM   #4
Virtuella
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via MSN to Virtuella
My eggs are always solid and no cracks in them.
I put them in cold water in a saucepan, heats and cook slowly (at low heat) for 15 minutes. Then i fill the saucepan with cold water to chill them.

At easter i put lots of onionpeeling in the saucepan, and the eggs turns nice and yellow!

Good luck!
Virtuella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 09:18 AM   #5
gardenmommy
Instepping Out

Also older eggs are much easier to peel than fresh ones. Although you can't really ask an egg how old it is.

I do mine pretty much like Virtuella, start them in cold water in the pot on the stove, bring to a gentle boil for about 15 minutes, then chill them quickly. I even have a couple plastic bottles with ice in the freezer that I stick in the pan to chill them more quickly, especially if you want to use them right away.
Old 04-15-2006, 09:25 AM   #6
margie
Instepping Out

I bring mine to a boil, then put a lid on the pan and take it off of the heat. I set a timer for 15 minutes, then pour off the hot water and cover the eggs with cold water.
margie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 09:35 AM   #7
DotMom61
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via AIM to DotMom61 Send a message via MSN to DotMom61 Send a message via Yahoo to DotMom61
Yup ... like Margie, I boil mine then let them sit for 15 minutes -- this usually works quite well except when you go and do something else while you're waiting for them to boil.

The other methods sound interesting, too, though. Maybe you could turn your kitchen into a test kitchen & try *all* the methods! ;-)

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted. | Albert Einstein
DotMom61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 10:14 AM   #8
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
i do what margie does except for 20 minutes i let them sit.

when i was a nanny the one family had this little gadgety thing that would put a tiny little pin prick in the shell that was suppose to keep the eggs from cracking. i never could see the pin prick so i can't prove it worked, BUT i also never had cracked eggs so who knows... :rofling:
Old 04-15-2006, 12:27 PM   #9
aylaanne
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to aylaanne Send a message via MSN to aylaanne Send a message via Yahoo to aylaanne
I make my eggs for eating, and I put them in the pot, cover with cold water, then bring to a boil. I set the timer for seven minutes. When the timer goes off, I take them off of the heat and drop them into ice water so the shells crack. This keeps the yolks from turning green.

If you're going to dye them, boil them longer, then let them sit until the water cools.

In the queue:
Jack Skellington baby afghan
Finished: Warm Up America Square, Basketweave Baby Blanket (now to ship it), Massachusetts Dishcloth for the Yarn Harlot, Homeless Hat
, water bottle cozy

aylaanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 01:18 PM   #10
quirky
Knitting the Flap

Years ago I saw some french chef going over the egg issue. He used a thin needle and poked a hole in the big end of the egg. The reason was to let the air escape from the pocket. He said the air expands and causes cracked eggs.

Personally I pray to the easter bunny. This seems to really help as I have no real method. Yet in the 3 doz eggs I dyed today we only had one cracked egg. The easter bunny is really forgiving and does not need a lot of "amens" etc.
I suggest a simple ritual that might go something like this:
Put on a pair of bunny ears.
Call the children into the kitchen and distribute jelly beans and marshmellow chickies to all.
Advise the children that you are going to boil the eggs now and fill a large pot with cold water.
Put the eggs in gently one by one and chant to the easter bunny,
"oh great bunny, hear our prayers - may these eggs come out with out cracks. may we shed no tears"
While the eggs are boiling lay out the dying stuff.
Encourage the children to pester you with "are they done yet" (a must to ensure ritual accuracy)
Let the eggs boil until your kids are driving your crazy and you have lost patience. (at high altitude thats about 10 minutes)
Put the pan into the sink and without empying the hot water begin to add very cold water from the faucet. Allow the water to run until the water in the pan feels cold. Let the eggs sit another 10 minutes (feed the kids mor candy if you must)
Pull the eggs out of the water one by one and dry them with a paper towel. They may still be too hot to touch. If so put them in a collander (one by one) and allow more cold water to run over them.
The key, according to the easter bunny is - a big pan, so the eggs cant knock together, and picking them out of the water - not pouring the water off. And of course feeding the children candy.
I trust the easter bunny, she has not failed me yet.

"Never EVER give up."
quirky is offline   Reply With Quote