Old 04-16-2006, 01:02 AM   #1
SydneyLove
Casting On

Beginner. Please help with pattern!
Okay so I've been knitting for about 8 months. I've done scarves, cloths and even tried a chemo hat. So I've decided to move on and do a sweater. I did the back piece but the the instructions for the rest is like reading alien. Can someone please explain this me in really simple english? I need so much help... Here's the pattern...

STRIPE PATTERN
Rows 1 & 3 (RS) : K.
Rows 2 & 4: P.
Rows 5 & 6: K.
Rows 7 & 9: K.
Rows 8 & 10: P.
Rows 11-16: K.
Rep Rows 1-16 for Stripe Pat
This I get!

FRONT:
Work as for back until 24 (25, 25)" from beg, end WS.
Shape neck: Next row (RS) : Keeping to Stripe Pat, work 44 (48, 50) sts, attach new skein of yarn, work center 11 (12, 13) sts and place on holder, work rem 44 (48, 50) sts. Working both sides at the same time with separate skeins of yarn, at each neck edge bind off 3 sts 2 times, 2 sts 3 (4, 4) times and 1 st 2 times. Work even in Stripe Pat until front meas same as back to shoulders. Bind off rem 30 (32, 34) sts each side.

I get work same as back but the shape Neck is where they lose me. Do I continue to do the stripe pattern only for the 48 sts and then with the 12 sts I place a holder? What happens to the 44 stst they stay loose? See I'm all confused about the whole thing.

SLEEVES:
With straight ndls, cast on 39 (39, 41) sts. Beg with Row 1 work in Stripe Pat inc 1 st each end every 5 rows 20 (21, 21) times, then every 4 rows 10 (11, 12) times-99 (103, 107) sts. Cont even in Stripe Pat until sleeve meas 20 (21, 21)" from beg. Bind off.

I thought this would be easy but again have no idea what this means esp. whe they start talking about 5 rows 21 times each. then every 4 rows 11 times eacg and then it says some about 103 stst? What does this all mean?

FINISHING:
Sew front and back at shoulders.
Neckband: With RS facing and circular ndl, pick up and k 105 (109, 113) sts around neck edge including sts on holders. P 1 rnd. K 1 rnd. P 1 rnd.
Dec Rnd: K 1 (3, 5), *k2tog, k 8; rep from *, end last rep k 2 (4, 6)-94 (98, 102) sts. P 1 rnd. K 1 rnd. Bind off as to p. Mark front and back side edges 11 (111/2, 12)" down from shoulder seams for sleeve placement. Sew sleeves between markers; then sew sleeve seams. Sew side seams leaving 5" slit open at lower edge.

Once I figure out how to do the shoulders I get the sew part. lol

The neckband I think I get. I pick up 109 sts. Then I just p1 around and then Knit around and finally Purl around. Is that how it goes? Then I decrease and then? See I'm really comfused.

I appreciate any help provided. Thank you so much!

Sydney
SydneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-16-2006, 08:19 AM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
Quote:
FRONT:
Work as for back until 24 (25, 25)" from beg, end WS.
Shape neck: Next row (RS) : Keeping to Stripe Pat, work 44 (48, 50) sts, attach new skein of yarn, work center 11 (12, 13) sts and place on holder, work rem 44 (48, 50) sts. Working both sides at the same time with separate skeins of yarn, at each neck edge bind off 3 sts 2 times, 2 sts 3 (4, 4) times and 1 st 2 times. Work even in Stripe Pat until front meas same as back to shoulders. Bind off rem 30 (32, 34) sts each side.
For this part, you continue with the stripes as they've been established.

You work 48 stitches--that will be the right shoulder. You use a new skein of yarn to work the center 12 stitches and put them on a holder to work later. Then you work the remaining 48 stitches with the new ball of yarn. Now each shoulder has it's own strand.

You can only bind off at the beginning of the row, so when you're at the neck edge in the center, you'll bind off 3 stitches at the beginning of the neck edges twice for each side.

Then you'll bind off 2 stitches at the beginning of each neck edge 4 times.

Then one stitch 2 times.

Continue knitting on these sections until the front is as long as the back up to the shoulder.

Quote:
SLEEVES:
With straight ndls, cast on 39 (39, 41) sts. Beg with Row 1 work in Stripe Pat inc 1 st each end every 5 rows 20 (21, 21) times, then every 4 rows 10 (11, 12) times-99 (103, 107) sts. Cont even in Stripe Pat until sleeve meas 20 (21, 21)" from beg. Bind off.
Sleeves get wider as they go up, so you need to increase at each end of the row every fifth row 21 times and on ever fourth row 11 times. You'll have 103 stitches when you're done. Then work straight until the right length.

You've got the right idea on the neckband.

When you've gotten that far, if you're still confused, come on back.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 05:33 PM   #3
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,842 Times in 1,907 Posts
Ingrid to the rescue again. It's a bird, it's a plane, it's SUPERINGRID!
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 06:45 PM   #4
SydneyLove
Casting On

Fisrt thank you so much but I do have a few questions and if you don't mind could you please help....

For this part, you continue with the stripes as they've been established.

Okay so for the for the front for 25 inches just like the back, correct...

You work 48 stitches--that will be the right shoulder. You use a new skein of yarn to work the center 12 stitches and put them on a holder to work later. Then you work the remaining 48 stitches with the new ball of yarn. Now each shoulder has it's own strand.

Then after the 25in I do the pattern on 48 sts and then I bind off? Place a holder? Then with the center 12 sts I work those the same and place a holder? Then for the left shoulder I work the same as right? Do I have this down?

You can only bind off at the beginning of the row, so when you're at the neck edge in the center, you'll bind off 3 stitches at the beginning of the neck edges twice for each side.

This is where I'm completely lost at. So now I start to work with the sts on the holder in the center, correct? So then I bind off the the 3 sts one each side leaving 6 left in the middle?

Then you'll bind off 2 stitches at the beginning of each neck edge 4 times.

Then one stitch 2 times.

I don't know if it's the way I bind off or not but bind off 1 stitch seems impossible. I use the basic knit bind off method so it's kind of like a dec. I need to knit 1 and then another just to start so how would this work?Actually looking at the whole 4 times, 2 times, thing is a bit confusing is there any other way to explaing this to me?
And for the sleeves I'm pretty sure I get. At every 5 rows I add 21sts or I just a 1 stitch every 5th row 21 times? And etc for the 4 rows, which one?

Thank you so much! I'm asking a bit but I really appreciate it so much! Thanks again!

Sydney
Old 04-16-2006, 07:37 PM   #5
Ingrid
Mod Squad

You're not going to bind off anything yet. You need shape the front of the neck so your head will fit in. We can always tell the front of a shirt because the neck is lower than the back, right? You have to do this for your sweater front, too.

So what you're doing is working the first 48 stitches as normal, then using a new strand to knit across the center stitches. These center stitches stay on the holder until you're ready to knit the neckband. Just leave them on the holder as you work the two sections on each side of them.

Now you have a new strand of yarn to finish the rest of the row and you're tow shoulders are separated. You usually work them both at the same time to ensure that they come out the same length.

So I'm assuming now that the next row you work is the wrong side.

You'll work across the first side's 48 stitches as is. On the second side, you'll be starting at the neck edge. This is where you'll bind off your first 3 stitches and finish that row. You'll turn the work and work back even, but this time decrease at the neck edge at the beginning of the second side.

It sounds confusing, but once you have them separated correctly, once you see where the neck edge is, and you only bind off at the beginning of the stitches of the neck edge, it should be clearer.

For the final single decrease, you can either bind off one--you knit 2 and put one over--that's a single bind off, or you can knit 2 tog.

Since I just finished this on a sweater front, I included a picture so maybe that will help.

I have to say, though, that trying to visualize a how a pattern will go together before you start knitting it can be very difficult. I learned by just doing each step, one at a time, and it really is clearer when you have the work in your hands.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	neck_shaping.jpg
Views:	681
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	26817  

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Old 04-17-2006, 10:45 PM   #6
SydneyLove
Casting On

Ingrid thanks so much! It still is a bit confusing the whole shaping of the neck but that picture helps out alot along with your detailed explanation. Thanks again!

Sydney
Old 04-17-2006, 10:52 PM   #7
Ingrid
Mod Squad

As I said, even if you don't understand they 'why' of it, just do each step and it will fall into place.

IngridKH on Ravelry