Old 04-17-2006, 09:38 AM   #1
hedgewick
1st Leg of the Journey

OT - What's for dinner?
Ok ladies and gentleman, I'm sick of eating the same stuff all the time. I feel like all I cook is spaghetti, chicken and Mac & cheese, and those box kit meals that are easy but probably not good for you. So, what are your favorite EASY meals. I've got a 4 year old son who is not terribly picky (LOVES veggies!) but is allergic to nuts so I have to be carefull of that. My husband isn't too picky either.

I'm heading to the grocery soon. Any ideas? Thanks!
hedgewick is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-17-2006, 09:52 AM   #2
aylaanne
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to aylaanne Send a message via MSN to aylaanne Send a message via Yahoo to aylaanne
I like to make beef stew--it doesn't take long but it lasts in the fridge for a good week (providing it doesn't get eaten by then). I also like to make spinach quiche. Spinach is a great vegetable and it goes well in all kinds of mix-ups.

If you have the time and inclination, learn how to make a cheese sauce from scratch. It doesn't take much longer than a powdered cheese sauce, but it has fewer preservatives and you can use whatever kind of cheese you want. I love making cheese sauces to put over a mix-up of a meat, a starch, and a vegetable--usually spinach or broccoli.

If you want some specific recipes I can send some to you. PM or email me.

In the queue:
Jack Skellington baby afghan
Finished: Warm Up America Square, Basketweave Baby Blanket (now to ship it), Massachusetts Dishcloth for the Yarn Harlot, Homeless Hat
, water bottle cozy

aylaanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 10:01 AM   #3
Cristy
Instepping Out

I know it takes time to do this but check out allrecipes.com sometime. I spend almost as much time there as I do here and I've never found a bad recipe. Almost everything I cook comes from that site.

I make a lot of soups from scratch and I love to make homemade chicken dumplins (you can make a quick version using homestyle canned biscuits as your dumplins). I'm a big fan of salad so I don't have a problem getting in my veggies...We grill a lot of meat since dh has a gas grill on the deck.

Cristy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 10:03 AM   #4
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,750 Times in 7,120 Posts
Hmm...we had chicken tacos the other night that were yummy!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 12:45 PM   #5
bjc1050
Turning the Heel

Quesadillas (Mexican grilled cheese sandwiches). You can add cooked chicken breast if you like or just use cheese. Serve them with chili or salad.

Some of my favorite recipe sites are:

http://www.bettycrocker.com/
http://www.campbellkitchen.com/default.aspx
http://www.mccormick.com/index.cfm

http://crochetbydayknitterbynight.blogspot.com/

Gen 8:22

While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease
KJV
bjc1050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 02:00 PM   #6
hedgewick
1st Leg of the Journey

mmm... this all sounds really great! I love watching the food network but it always looks too time consuming or complex. My son (age 4) loves Rachel Ray! She's his "girlfriend"! I like her too and her show is the only one I can really see using the recipes unless it's a special holiday or something. Of course, I'm a stay at home mom so I don't really have an excuse not to make something good for dinner every night. I like the salad idea. All 3 of us like spinich so we may use that in our meals more.
hedgewick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 02:32 PM   #7
Hallegold
Ribbing the Cuff

I love Rachel Ray's 30 Minute Meals cookbook. The recipes are easy to do and easy to understand. AND they really do take just 30 minutes to prepare.

Her books are well worth the investment. I got my copy at Costco (Sam's Club also has them).
Hallegold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 02:43 PM   #8
candicane
Working the Gusset

Check out www.eatingwell.com Look under recipes for Healthy in a Hurry.

I have had a subscription to this magazine for a couple of years and have made many tasty meals. Some call for odd ingredients, but I usually just subsitute something else.

Candice
candicane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 02:51 PM   #9
JLC
Instepping Out

I've found a lot of recipes on allrecipes.com and they are all pretty good. My kids eat pasta with butter and parmesan cheese and mac & cheese quite a bit because I have 2 VERY picky eaters. I'm so tired of getting home from work at 4:30, rushing to get a decent meal on the table, just to have them refuse to eat it. If anyone has any recipes for picky kids, I'd love them!!
JLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 02:56 PM   #10
cheesiesmom
Turning the Heel

one of my fave receipes (especially with left over chicken or turkey) is a stirfry. I use frozen chopped veggies of any sort (those frozen blends are nice or if I'm so inclined and have stuff around the house use fresh) stir fry them with what ever protein (shellfish, chicken (cooked or fresh), l-o turkey, pork, beef, my DD loves tofu) add a little soy, some canned chicken or beef or vegetable broth thickened with a couple of tbsps of cornstarch, serve over steamed rice. I just make my rice in a pan on the stove. I don't need anymore gadgets; I'm trying to simplify.

Sometimes, depending on the veggies I skip the soy, use some white wine, make sure there's a little tomato and mushroom in it and serve it with pasta and sprinkle parmasen cheese. Voila, Italian tonight.

Surprisingly, my kids used to love this; they ate lots a veggies and loved the rice or pasta. With a little inventiveness, you could probably serve it several nights in a row. Just change around the veggies. Obviously, this is better if you have fresh veggies, but the frozen are good too.
cheesiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote